KB958215

designengineering

KB958215
When I am working, I have recently gotten a message from my automatic yellow
windows update icon that it is download and installing KB958215. This has
happened daily approximately over the last month. How can I stop Microsoft
from re-downloading this update and start with a newer update that is
required for my machine?

Re: KB958215
posting to this newsgroup.

If KB958215 had installed properly/successfully, it would be reoffered.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

designengineering wrote:
> When I am working, I have recently gotten a message from my automatic
> yellow
> windows update icon that it is download and installing KB958215. This has
> happened daily approximately over the last month. How can I stop Microsoft
> from re-downloading this update and start with a newer update that is
> required for my machine?

designengineering

Re: KB958215
It is Win XP Version 2002 Service Pack 3. This specific update started before
New Years.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> If KB958215 had installed properly/successfully, it would be reoffered.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> designengineering wrote:
> > When I am working, I have recently gotten a message from my automatic
> > yellow
> > windows update icon that it is download and installing KB958215. This has
> > happened daily approximately over the last month. How can I stop Microsoft
> > from re-downloading this update and start with a newer update that is
> > required for my machine?

Re: KB958215
Are you running IE 6 or IE7?

KB958215 was released on 09 December 2008. KB960714 was released on 18
December 2009. I suspect that neither are installed: Open Add/Remove
Programs | Make sure the 'Show Updates' box is checked (top right) | Scroll
down and tell me if KB958215 *AND* KB960714 are both listed.

in the background when you installed WinXP SP3?

~PA Bear

designengineering wrote:
> It is Win XP Version 2002 Service Pack 3. This specific update started
> before New Years.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> If KB958215 had installed properly/successfully, it would be reoffered.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> designengineering wrote:
>>> When I am working, I have recently gotten a message from my automatic
>>> yellow
>>> windows update icon that it is download and installing KB958215. This
>>> has
>>> happened daily approximately over the last month. How can I stop
>>> Microsoft
>>> from re-downloading this update and start with a newer update that is
>>> required for my machine?

Bonnell Frost

KB958215
I am running XP SP 3 on an HP machine, with as far as I know, no McAfee has been run. I have F-prot and ZoneAlarm running.
KB958215 and KB960714 try to install repeatedly, with failures and no comments/error messages. Tried both normal and Safe confiturations.
Other updates, including SP 3, install fine. I have not tried with F-prot and ZoneAlarm disabled.
Suggestions appreciated.

Re: KB958215
The thread to which you've replied was started by 'designengineering'. Are
you the same person?

Bonnell Frost wrote:
> I am running XP SP 3 on an HP machine, with as far as I know, no McAfee
> has
> been run. I have F-prot and ZoneAlarm running.
> KB958215 and KB960714 try to install repeatedly, with failures and no
> comments/error messages. Tried both normal and Safe confiturations. Other
> updates, including SP 3, install fine. I have not tried with F-prot and
> ZoneAlarm disabled.
> Suggestions appreciated.

designengineering

Re: KB958215
PA Bear, I am not the same person as Bonnell Frost. To respond to an earlier
question. I have IE 7. Add/Remove Programs proves I have KB958215 and
KB960714. I "designengineering" do not use Zone Alarm. KB960714 is working
fine.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> The thread to which you've replied was started by 'designengineering'. Are
> you the same person?
>
> Bonnell Frost wrote:
> > I am running XP SP 3 on an HP machine, with as far as I know, no McAfee
> > has
> > been run. I have F-prot and ZoneAlarm running.
> > KB958215 and KB960714 try to install repeatedly, with failures and no
> > comments/error messages. Tried both normal and Safe confiturations. Other
> > updates, including SP 3, install fine. I have not tried with F-prot and
> > ZoneAlarm disabled.
> > Suggestions appreciated.

Re: KB958215
@designengineering only!

Ideally, you would have replied to my reply to your post, not my reply to
the hijacker's post. You also would have answered all of my questions.
That being said, if KB958215 is still being offered by Automatic Updates,
keep reading...

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB958215)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

[It's OK to ignore any "Such-and-such may not work if..." warnings, trust
me.]

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered (i.e., KB958215). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.

=====================================

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
(which is 47830).

your usual support contacts.

Support for Windows Update:
~PA Bear

designengineering wrote:
> PA Bear, I am not the same person as Bonnell Frost. To respond to an
> earlier
> question. I have IE 7. Add/Remove Programs proves I have KB958215 and
> KB960714. I "designengineering" do not use Zone Alarm. KB960714 is working
> fine.

<snip & edit>