Windows update not updating automatically

goorambatman

Windows update not updating automatically
I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 but this problem is present in Windows
XP and SP1 of Vista. The below report is relevant for Windows XP and Vista.

Windows update downloads updates but doesn't always install them
automatically.

Windows update is set to install updates automatically but it doesn't.

Just typing this report I noticed there was a Windows defender update
waiting to be installed (KB915597 Def. 1.49.2011.0) and i didn't even know
about it. Usually I get a prompt in the task bar to install updates but I
shouldn't as it's set to install automatically.

WU needs to download and install updates in the background without prompts
and the user knowing if it is set to install updates automatically.

The novice users are the ones that have trouble with their system that can
be fixed with updates. They are the same people who will ignore the prompts
and will not manually update their computer.

WU must become fully automatic!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities....windowsupdate

Re: Windows update not updating automatically
Did you recently reinstall WinXP?

Are you running IE8 Beta 2 on both boxes?

On each machine: What anti-virus application or security suite is installed
and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other
than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
applications running in the background when you installed IE8 Beta 2, IE7
(in WinXP), Vista SP1, and/or WinXP SP2?

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

goorambatman wrote:
> I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 but this problem is present in
> Windows
> XP and SP1 of Vista. The below report is relevant for Windows XP and
> Vista.
>
> Windows update downloads updates but doesn't always install them
> automatically.
>
> Windows update is set to install updates automatically but it doesn't.
>
> Just typing this report I noticed there was a Windows defender update
> waiting to be installed (KB915597 Def. 1.49.2011.0) and i didn't even know
> about it. Usually I get a prompt in the task bar to install updates but I
> shouldn't as it's set to install automatically.

<snip rant>

goorambatman

Re: Windows update not updating automatically
The XP box is a friends and I was finding it would download updates the I
would have to click the task bar notification and click install. Even though
it is set to download and install updates automatically.

My Vista computer does the same to some but not all updates. It downloads
them but I have to keep checking WU to see if there is anything to install.

It just seems every time I go on a computer of a user who doesn't have much
computer knowledge there are always updates there waiting to be installed.
This happens countless times on countless machines I log on to. Seems to be
an issue with Windows XP and Windows Vista.

If Microsoft update or Windows update is never manually accessed by the user
you can guarantee that there are pending updates that should be installed but
aren't.

Seems like improvements need to be made by the update software on XP and
Vista, hopefully 7 has this problem solved.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did you recently reinstall WinXP?
>
> Are you running IE8 Beta 2 on both boxes?
>
> On each machine: What anti-virus application or security suite is installed
> and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other
> than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed IE8 Beta 2, IE7
> (in WinXP), Vista SP1, and/or WinXP SP2?

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> goorambatman wrote:
> > I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 but this problem is present in
> > Windows
> > XP and SP1 of Vista. The below report is relevant for Windows XP and
> > Vista.
> >
> > Windows update downloads updates but doesn't always install them
> > automatically.
> >
> > Windows update is set to install updates automatically but it doesn't.
> >
> > Just typing this report I noticed there was a Windows defender update
> > waiting to be installed (KB915597 Def. 1.49.2011.0) and i didn't even know
> > about it. Usually I get a prompt in the task bar to install updates but I
> > shouldn't as it's set to install automatically.

> <snip rant>

goorambatman

RE: Windows update not updating automatically
Ok perhaps this has a lot to do with the default setting time to install
windows updates. I can't quite remember but I have a feeling that by default
Windows is set to install updates at a really late time at night when most
computers will be turned off.

So two problems here:

1. The time Windows is set to install updates is rediculous as most
computers will be turned off.

2. When users get prompts to install updates they often click ignore.

Re: Windows update not updating automatically
I can't suggest anything if you do not answer my questions.

I am no longer Watching this thread.
--
~PA Bear

goorambatman wrote:
> The XP box is a friends and I was finding it would download updates the I
> would have to click the task bar notification and click install. Even
> though it is set to download and install updates automatically.
>
> My Vista computer...

<snip>