From Shenan's post here is what you need to do:
1) Click on this Link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
2) The "File Download" window will open.
3) Click on the 'Save' button.
4) The "Save As" windows will open.
5) In this window use the "Save in" pull down and select C:
6) Now click the 'Save' button located in the lower right.
7) Then as per Shenan's instructions:
Close all Internet Explorer Windows and other applications.
Start button --> RUN and type in:
Note: %SystemDrive% on most computers is your C: drive.
windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe is the name of the file you downloaded.
/WUFORCE is a switch to start/force the install
"SourdoughPlus" <SourdoughPlus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Re: 1/06/09 I asked for help because thousands of downloaded updates have
> failed to install. Shenan Stanley offered a series of remedial steps
> 1/06/09. My OS is XP Home SP2. The first three remedial steps went OK
> the 4th step called for downloading the latest version of Windows Update
> Agent, then saving it to Root of C:\ drive. I don't know the commands for
> doing. Can anyone help.