Windows update gives empty page

Redneck12

Windows update gives empty page
I try to update my windows XP. I got empty page and error windows can show
this page. I can not load updates manually from microsoft page. When I try I
get error page not found. I tried to solve problem with following advice:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818018/fi

when I tried command regsrv32 c:\windows\system32\mshtml.dll and regsrv32
c:\windows\system32\msjava.dll they were not successfull. All other went well
but problem still exist.

I have allready tried everything, many website advice and many good or not
so good tricks. Mut problen still exist. Everything else works fine.

B/R Redneck12
Rob

RE: Windows update gives empty page
I have the same problem. did all that was asked..but still can not get any
updates to load.

I did start downloading some, then had to reboot, as requested, since then,
keep getting the same message

"The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
not running:" Error number: 0x8DDD0018.

Seems to have affected my Restore points as well, can not click on any dates

"Redneck12" wrote:

> I try to update my windows XP. I got empty page and error windows can show
> this page. I can not load updates manually from microsoft page. When I try I
> get error page not found. I tried to solve problem with following advice:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818018/fi
>
> when I tried command regsrv32 c:\windows\system32\mshtml.dll and regsrv32
> c:\windows\system32\msjava.dll they were not successfull. All other went well
> but problem still exist.
>
> I have allready tried everything, many website advice and many good or not
> so good tricks. Mut problen still exist. Everything else works fine.
>
> B/R Redneck12

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows update gives empty page
msjava.dll is no longer present on XP systems, so do not be concerned
with it failing to register.

Which version of Internet Explorer is installed ?

Was this update installed last month ? -

MS08-078: Security update for Internet Explorer [KB960714]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960714

It will be listed in Add/Remove Programs [make sure the 'Show updates'
box is checked at the top of the window] all the way towards the bottom
under " Windows XP - Software Updates "

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Redneck12 wrote:

> I try to update my windows XP. I got empty page and error windows can show
> this page. I can not load updates manually from microsoft page. When I try I
> get error page not found. I tried to solve problem with following advice:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818018/fi
>
> when I tried command regsrv32 c:\windows\system32\mshtml.dll and regsrv32
> c:\windows\system32\msjava.dll they were not successfull. All other went well
> but problem still exist.
>
> I have allready tried everything, many website advice and many good or not
> so good tricks. Mut problen still exist. Everything else works fine.
>
> B/R Redneck12

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows update gives empty page
The system is most likely infected with malware, Ron. First, see
Method 2 to see if BITS is properly configured and can run.

Error message: “The necessary service "Automatic Updates" (WUAUSERV) is
not started or Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is
disabled. Error 0x8DDD0018” When attempting to install updates from the
Windows Update or Microsoft Update web site.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959894

Suggest you use IE and go here for a system scan:

If a Vundo variant is detected, then the system will have to be
restarted in order to allow the OneCare scanner to remove it.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten