Multiple Update Installation

ecapell

Multiple Update Installation
Update KB954430 (Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.00 Service Pack 2) has installed multiple times on my computer and continues daily to present itself for installation. My update log shows that it has installed successfully many times. How do I correct this problem?
SIB

RE: Multiple Update Installation
I have the same problem and I've already followed all of the (useless)
instructions from Microsoft and I'll be damned if I will pay $59 to fix
Microsofts problem!
--
SIB

"ecapell" wrote:

> Update KB954430 (Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.00
> Service Pack 2) has installed multiple times on my computer and continues
> daily to present itself for installation. My update log shows that it has
> installed successfully many times. How do I correct this problem?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Multiple Update Installation
Not sure where you came up with the "$59 to fix" statement since
KB954430 is a Security update, MS offers *no-charge* support in getting
it installed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430

" How to obtain help and support for this security update
in the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local
Microsoft subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the
Microsoft International Support Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4
North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
no-charge e-mail support or to unlimited individual chat support by
visiting the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?&prid=7552 "

The issue is usually caused by printer software that locks msxml4.dll
from being replaced on a restart. First, download and *save* KB954430 -

Next, boot to Safe Mode, open a Command Prompt, and then rename
msxml4.dll, as shown here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

Restart the system and do NOT reinstall the automatically downloaded
update. Instead, install the *manually* downloaded copy,
msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe, and then reboot the system once more.

Or, you can Clean Boot the system, rename msxml4.dll from a Command
Prompt, and then manually install msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe.

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

SIB wrote:

> I have the same problem and I've already followed all of the (useless)
> instructions from Microsoft and I'll be damned if I will pay $59 to fix
> Microsofts problem!

SIB

Re: Multiple Update Installation
Thank you for your detailed reply MowGreen, however, after following your
instructions as well as those you linked to, I still have the same update to
be installed, which will happen automatically if I shut down (as opposed to
restart) my computer.

By the way, I'm running Vista Business, not XP.

As for the $59, I assure you that I did not make that up, I simply followed
the path from the Windows Update Support site, and if I wanted e-mail, chat
or telephone support for this issue, I had to provide a method of payment.

I'll try calling the PCSafety number next.
--
SIB

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Not sure where you came up with the "$59 to fix" statement since
> KB954430 is a Security update, MS offers *no-charge* support in getting
> it installed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430
>

> " How to obtain help and support for this security update
> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> in the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local
> Microsoft subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the
> Microsoft International Support Web site:
> http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4
> North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
> no-charge e-mail support or to unlimited individual chat support by
> visiting the following Microsoft Web site:
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?&prid=7552 "
>
> The issue is usually caused by printer software that locks msxml4.dll
> from being replaced on a restart. First, download and *save* KB954430 -
>
> Next, boot to Safe Mode, open a Command Prompt, and then rename
> msxml4.dll, as shown here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729
>
> Restart the system and do NOT reinstall the automatically downloaded
> update. Instead, install the *manually* downloaded copy,
> msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe, and then reboot the system once more.
>
> Or, you can Clean Boot the system, rename msxml4.dll from a Command
> Prompt, and then manually install msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe.
>
> How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> SIB wrote:
>
> > I have the same problem and I've already followed all of the (useless)
> > instructions from Microsoft and I'll be damned if I will pay $59 to fix
> > Microsofts problem!

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Multiple Update Installation
You're mowst welcome. Knowing it's Vista instead of XP may help.
You need to run the Command prompt Elevated, IOW, right click Command
and choose 'Run as adminstrator'.

If that doesn't work then please keep us posted on what happens when you
contact PCSafey, SIB.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

SIB wrote:

> Thank you for your detailed reply MowGreen, however, after following your
> instructions as well as those you linked to, I still have the same update to
> be installed, which will happen automatically if I shut down (as opposed to
> restart) my computer.
>
> By the way, I'm running Vista Business, not XP.
>
> As for the $59, I assure you that I did not make that up, I simply followed
> the path from the Windows Update Support site, and if I wanted e-mail, chat
> or telephone support for this issue, I had to provide a method of payment.
>
> I'll try calling the PCSafety number next.

kiteman

"ecapell" wrote:

> Update KB954430 (Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.00
> Service Pack 2) has installed multiple times on my computer and continues
> daily to present itself for installation. My update log shows that it has
> installed successfully many times. How do I correct this problem?

MC

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> You're mowst welcome. Knowing it's Vista instead of XP may help.
> You need to run the Command prompt Elevated, IOW, right click Command
> and choose 'Run as adminstrator'.
>
> If that doesn't work then please keep us posted on what happens when you
> contact PCSafey, SIB.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> SIB wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your detailed reply MowGreen, however, after following your
> > instructions as well as those you linked to, I still have the same update to
> > be installed, which will happen automatically if I shut down (as opposed to
> > restart) my computer.
> >
> > By the way, I'm running Vista Business, not XP.
> >
> > As for the $59, I assure you that I did not make that up, I simply followed
> > the path from the Windows Update Support site, and if I wanted e-mail, chat
> > or telephone support for this issue, I had to provide a method of payment.
> >
> > I'll try calling the PCSafety number next.

MC

Re: Multiple Update Installation KB954430
Hey MowGreen,

its not the same way to solve it in Vista like in XP. But there is a good
clue.
Downloading the standalone installer solve this problem. The installer asking
u if you want to modify, repair or to remove the update. After installing this
update of 100 times (just 9 times) , was all of the copies away with the
remove
function. Im asking me "why the wizard is let me chose these options"? cuz
there
must be the msxml4 app somewhere inside this chaotic strukture of this system
:-) I just hide the update and waiting until MS solve it for all.
I hope i can help another Vista users. (tested on x64 Ultimate)
greetz,
MC