cannot connect to windows update (windows xp)

carpetguydalton

cannot connect to windows update (windows xp)
I can go to Microsoft.com and choose whatever I want to download. The little
box that appears in the upper left corner says "the webpage you are trying to
reach is unavailable", the one you normally see when you are offline. I am
assuming that is the little download box, therefore the downloads never
start. I also cannot connect to the windows update site. As a side note,
check disc and defrag are not working either. Disc clean-up working fine.
Several malware, spyware and virus programs used to check for problems.
Nothing current. And yes, each program was installed, ran, then deleted for
the next program. Currently do not have any other known issues except for:
cannot connect as well to safer-neworking.org.

Re: cannot connect to windows update (windows xp)
posting to this newsgroup.

Assuming this is a sudden, new problem, chances are that you're seeing the
affects of a hijackware infection despite the AV/anti-spyware scans.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm