KB951748

Sein

KB951748
I have automatic update on, and today it informed the KB951748 is ready and
available for download. But when I tried to install it, it failed. When I
went through my update history, the update was installed on July 9th, 2008,
and when I checked Add/Remove Programs, the update was already there. Is
there any reason why MS is reissuing this update and why is my update manager
insisting I don't have the update as it shows up in Priority Updates?
Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: KB951748
"Sein" <Sein@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

>I have automatic update on, and today it informed the KB951748 is ready and
> available for download. But when I tried to install it, it failed. When I
> went through my update history, the update was installed on July 9th, 2008,
> and when I checked Add/Remove Programs, the update was already there.

Which Windows version with which Service Pack installed are you using?
What do the *last* ~30 lines of the "KB951748.log" file (to be found
in the Windows folder) do look like?

Bye,
Freudi

Re: KB951748
posting to this newsgroup.

Did you reinstall WinXP and then installed SP3 manually?

What third-party firewall (if any)?
==
How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

You could also...

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Sein wrote:
> I have automatic update on, and today it informed the KB951748 is ready
> and
> available for download. But when I tried to install it, it failed. When I
> went through my update history, the update was installed on July 9th,
> 2008,
> and when I checked Add/Remove Programs, the update was already there. Is
> there any reason why MS is reissuing this update and why is my update
> manager insisting I don't have the update as it shows up in Priority
> Updates?

Sein

Re: KB951748
I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP2. I did not reinstall WinXP or install
SP3. I'm using Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.0. Spyware detector -
I'm using Adware SE (free edition) and Spybot. Today when I searched into
update history, I found that the update was installed yesterday, but why is
there a duplicate update with the same name?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> Did you reinstall WinXP and then installed SP3 manually?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?
> ==
> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> Update Services installation issues:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>
> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527
>
> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>
> 3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
> associated with the download/install.
>
> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
>
> You could also...

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Sein wrote:
> > I have automatic update on, and today it informed the KB951748 is ready
> > and
> > available for download. But when I tried to install it, it failed. When I
> > went through my update history, the update was installed on July 9th,
> > 2008,
> > and when I checked Add/Remove Programs, the update was already there. Is
> > there any reason why MS is reissuing this update and why is my update
> > manager insisting I don't have the update as it shows up in Priority
> > Updates?

Re: KB951748
If KB951478 installed and isn't offered again when you go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and do a CUSTOM scan, don't worry about
it.

When does your Symantec Antivirus subscription expire?

Is Spybot Tea Timer enabled or was it ever enabled?

Are you aware that Ad-Aware SE hasn't been supported for 2 years and that
there's been two newer versions released since you installed it?

Sein wrote:
> I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP2. I did not reinstall WinXP or
> install
> SP3. I'm using Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.0. Spyware
> detector -
> I'm using Adware SE (free edition) and Spybot. Today when I searched into
> update history, I found that the update was installed yesterday, but why
> is
> there a duplicate update with the same name?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> Did you reinstall WinXP and then installed SP3 manually?

>> ==
>> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
>> Update Services installation issues:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>>
>> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section
>> of
>> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527
>>
>> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>>
>> 3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
>> associated with the download/install.
>>
>> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>>
>> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
>> and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and
>> Support
>> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
>>
>> You could also...

>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Sein wrote:
>>> I have automatic update on, and today it informed the KB951748 is ready
>>> and
>>> available for download. But when I tried to install it, it failed. When
>>> went through my update history, the update was installed on July 9th,
>>> 2008,
>>> and when I checked Add/Remove Programs, the update was already there. Is
>>> there any reason why MS is reissuing this update and why is my update
>>> manager insisting I don't have the update as it shows up in Priority
>>> Updates?

Sein

Re: KB951748
Hi, my Symantec Antivirus does not expire, it a client of the university's
system.
I'm aware of the Adware SE is discontinued - I thought it's still called
that, I think I have the 2008 free version of Adware.
As of custom installation, I checked but the update still shows up in the
list even though it was installed...

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> If KB951478 installed and isn't offered again when you go to
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and do a CUSTOM scan, don't worry about
> it.
>
> When does your Symantec Antivirus subscription expire?
>
> Is Spybot Tea Timer enabled or was it ever enabled?
>
> Are you aware that Ad-Aware SE hasn't been supported for 2 years and that
> there's been two newer versions released since you installed it?
>
> Sein wrote:
> > I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP2. I did not reinstall WinXP or
> > install
> > SP3. I'm using Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.0. Spyware
> > detector -
> > I'm using Adware SE (free edition) and Spybot. Today when I searched into
> > update history, I found that the update was installed yesterday, but why
> > is
> > there a duplicate update with the same name?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> >> posting to this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> Did you reinstall WinXP and then installed SP3 manually?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >> ==
> >> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> >> Update Services installation issues:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
> >>
> >> 1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section
> >> of
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527
> >>
> >> 2. You cannot install some updates or programs
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
> >>
> >> 3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
> >> associated with the download/install.
> >>
> >> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
> >>
> >> 3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
> >> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
> >> and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and
> >> Support
> >> link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
> >>
> >> You could also...
> >>
> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: KB951748
Is Windows Update still offering this update or not, Sein?

Sein wrote:
> Hi, my Symantec Antivirus does not expire, it a client of the university's
> system.
> I'm aware of the Adware SE is discontinued - I thought it's still called
> that, I think I have the 2008 free version of Adware.
> As of custom installation, I checked but the update still shows up in the
> list even though it was installed...
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If KB951478 installed and isn't offered again when you go to
>> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and do a CUSTOM scan, don't worry
>> about
>> it.
>>
>> When does your Symantec Antivirus subscription expire?
>>
>> Is Spybot Tea Timer enabled or was it ever enabled?
>>
>> Are you aware that Ad-Aware SE hasn't been supported for 2 years and that
>> there's been two newer versions released since you installed it?
>>
>> Sein wrote:
>>> I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP2. I did not reinstall WinXP or
>>> install
>>> SP3. I'm using Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.0. Spyware
>>> detector -
>>> I'm using Adware SE (free edition) and Spybot. Today when I searched
>>> into
>>> update history, I found that the update was installed yesterday, but why
>>> is
>>> there a duplicate update with the same name?

Sein

Re: KB951748
Now it is not, thanks

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is Windows Update still offering this update or not, Sein?
>
> Sein wrote:
> > Hi, my Symantec Antivirus does not expire, it a client of the university's
> > system.
> > I'm aware of the Adware SE is discontinued - I thought it's still called
> > that, I think I have the 2008 free version of Adware.
> > As of custom installation, I checked but the update still shows up in the
> > list even though it was installed...
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> If KB951478 installed and isn't offered again when you go to
> >> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and do a CUSTOM scan, don't worry
> >> about
> >> it.
> >>
> >> When does your Symantec Antivirus subscription expire?
> >>
> >> Is Spybot Tea Timer enabled or was it ever enabled?
> >>
> >> Are you aware that Ad-Aware SE hasn't been supported for 2 years and that
> >> there's been two newer versions released since you installed it?

Re: KB951748
Very good. You're welcome & thanks for your feedback.

PS: You will need to get SP3 installed by April 2010 or you won't be offered
any more updates & Windows Update won't even work. Seeing as the free
installation support ends in less the 3 months (not that it's likely you'll
need it but...), I'd recommend getting SP3 installed ASAP.

Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3) and *only until* 14 Apr-09.
Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
"Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"