Why can't I connect to windows update?

JP

Why can't I connect to windows update?
Everytime I click on a link to go to windows update or try to download an
update, I get an error page Internet Explorer cannot display the page. I
downloaded windows live one care and removed a trojan win32/fakespyware
spyware guard. I still can't get to the windows update webpage. Please help.
Windows xp sp3.
Engel

RE: Why can't I connect to windows update?
Hello JP,

Because you had one piece of malware, the chances are also high that you had
others.

I recommend downloading and installing MalwareBytes' Antimalware (MBAM) and
SUPERAntiSpywaяe (SAS).

Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes and SUPERAntiSpywaяe.

<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
-=-

<http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
-=-
The programs are free. (There is a paid version but you don't need to buy it
to remove malware.)
-=-

Ensure you do not have "Vundo".

It seems possible that your Windows installation has been deliberately
damaged by a trojan (Vundo, along any uninvited guests. (SDBot and ZLOB, all
protected by a rootkit.)) so as to prevent you updating your system or
removing the trojan.

Good luck
-=-

"JP" wrote:

> Everytime I click on a link to go to windows update or try to download an
> update, I get an error page Internet Explorer cannot display the page. I
> downloaded windows live one care and removed a trojan win32/fakespyware
> spyware guard. I still can't get to the windows update webpage. Please help.
> Windows xp sp3.

JP

RE: Why can't I connect to windows update?
Every time I click on the links you posted here I get the same thing,
Internet Explorer cannot display the page. Over and over. I can get to the
forum but not the windows update page. I tried many of the links posted in
some of the forum messages and most will not work. When I do get to a dwnld
page and click the link, nothing happens. I tried links from different
Microsoft pages to link to the updates but still nothing. I don't know what
else to do. My Trend Micro Antivirus disc will not even load into the pc. Not
my pc THANK GOODNESS, but my friend needs help.

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello JP,
>
> Because you had one piece of malware, the chances are also high that you had
> others.
>
> I recommend downloading and installing MalwareBytes' Antimalware (MBAM) and
> SUPERAntiSpywaяe (SAS).
>
> Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes and SUPERAntiSpywaяe.
>
> <http://www.superantispyware.com/>
> -=-
>
> <http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
> -=-
> The programs are free. (There is a paid version but you don't need to buy it
> to remove malware.)
> -=-
>
> Ensure you do not have "Vundo".
>
> It seems possible that your Windows installation has been deliberately
> damaged by a trojan (Vundo, along any uninvited guests. (SDBot and ZLOB, all
> protected by a rootkit.)) so as to prevent you updating your system or
> removing the trojan.
>

> Good luck
> -=-
>

> "JP" wrote:
>
> > Everytime I click on a link to go to windows update or try to download an
> > update, I get an error page Internet Explorer cannot display the page. I
> > downloaded windows live one care and removed a trojan win32/fakespyware
> > spyware guard. I still can't get to the windows update webpage. Please help.
> > Windows xp sp3.

JP

RE: Why can't I connect to windows update?
Does anyone know a phone number to Microsoft that I can call? I tried the
contact links and I get the same error. I can't even get an email address for
support.

"JP" wrote:

> Everytime I click on a link to go to windows update or try to download an
> update, I get an error page Internet Explorer cannot display the page. I
> downloaded windows live one care and removed a trojan win32/fakespyware
> spyware guard. I still can't get to the windows update webpage. Please help.
> Windows xp sp3.

Re: Why can't I connect to windows update?
Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm