Re: IE7 won't open https secure connections

Re: IE7 won't open https secure connections
[X-post to Windows Update newsgroup]

> ...Do you think there would be a positive or negative outcome if I...

No, dont do anything with IE7! IE is not the problem.

There's a "system protection" component of TMIS 2007 that's causing a
"horked" install of SP3, Paul. I was going to recommend that you (1)
uninstall TMIS, (2) uninstall WinXP SP3 again and then (3) reinstall SP3
before (4) reinstalling TMIS 2007...but that's not possible if you don't
have the disc and Product ID.

Assuming your TMIS 2007 subscription is current [if not, STOP HERE], I'd
recommend that you do the following:

1. Open Start | Settings | Control Panel | Automatic Updates | select the
third option ("Notify me but...") & OK your way out.

2. Uninstall SP3 again per that "Read & heed" reference I cited earlier &
reboot twice.

3. If & when AU prompts you to download or install SP3 again, DECLINE to do
so. (If you're prompted to Download it, "hide" it.)

4. Contact TM Support and tell them about the problem you've run into. I'd
imagine they'll tell you what TMIS component of must be disabled (or,
possibly, uninstalled) prior to reinstalling SP3 such that IE cipher
strength doesn't get screwed again.

TIP: No matter what TM tells you, disable all other TMIS components
(including the firewall) and enable the Windows Firewall before reinstalling
SP3 again!

5. When you're ready to reinstall SP3 *and* have disabled all TMIS
components, go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | select CUSTOM and
scan | select the option to "Restore hidden updates" if necessary & install
SP3. Again, reboot twice after doing so, then make sure all TMIS components
are enabled and the Windows Firewall is disabled.

NB: You'll be "working without a net" with TMIS disabled so don't to
ANYTHING else online (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) except go to
Windows Update, reinstall SP3, reboo twtice & confirm that TMIS is enabled
again.

NB: Another batch of Windows Updates will be released on 13 January 2009 so
I'd act quickly & try to get all of this done before then...else you run
into even more complications.

Keep in mind that...

Free & unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3) and *only until* 14 Apr-09.
(Chat and e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.)
Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
"Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"

Good luck!
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/