Windows Update Error

Patty & John Anderson

Windows Update Error
I have a W2K SP4 computer at work that I am trying to do the security
updates. I click on Start - Windows update - Clicked on Express.

Then a red X with this message: Files required to use windows update are no
longer registered or installed on your computer.

I click on register or reinstall files for me now and click continue. After
A few minutes this message is displayed: "The website has encountered a
problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view with this error
number in right corner 0x8007041D.

I have searched this error message on the net and tried most of the things
that I have found concerning this error message and this one too: 0x80070420
(which I have also received). I have gone into the services under computer
management and double clicked on Automatic updates. It says it is in a
stopping state. If I try to net stop wuauserv says it cant stop the service.
If I disable the wuauserv then try to start it says it can't start it with
an error message and number which I left at work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I don't know what to do next.

Re: Windows Update Error
Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm