error 0x8DDDoo18

samvent

error 0x8DDDoo18
When I try to use windows update I keep getting this error message. I am
running xp pro sp3. WHen I run services.msc everything is started but it's
telling me it's not.
--
sam
Engel

RE: error 0x8DDDoo18
Hello Sam,

0x8DDD0018

1058
ERROR_SERVICE_DISABLED
The service cannot be started. If BITS service is disabled by the
Administrator, or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
ERROR_SERVICE_DISABLED then this error will be seen.
BITS has been disabled. Enable the BITS service.

You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or the
"0x80246008" code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft Windows
Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site
<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=910337>
-=-

First - ensure you do not have "Vundo". Clean it up if you do.

It seems possible that your Windows installation has been deliberately
damaged by a trojan (Vundo, along any uninvited guests. (SDBot and ZLOB, all
protected by a rootkit.)) so as to prevent you updating your system or
removing the trojan.

There is a free version (on demand scanning only), the paid for version
includes active monitoring, similar to Windows defender

SUPERAntiSpyware
Now Vista Compatible!
<http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html>
Support Forum: <http://forums.superantispyware.com/>

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Compatible with Windows 2000, XP and Vista
Download the free version here: <http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
Support Forum: <http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/>
-=-

Copied яesponse from Robert Aldwinckle -

Robert Aldwinckle 11/19/2008 9:48 PM PST

Try searching for: 0x8ddd0018
or
Searching for: 0x8ddd0018 MVP

E.g. using the web interface that you are posting from
press Alt-7 and enter those words.

In this particular case there have been so many satisfied participants
who also use the web interface that you can even use the Answered Questions
filter to reduce the number of messages you have to read through.
E.g. press Alt-i Enter CursorDown, CursorDown, Enter
after your search returns results.

Notice though that normally you will not be able to use the filters
successfully
even though there are relevant useful posts to be found. Unfortunately, not
enough users of the web interface bother to come back and mark posts that
they find helpful... ; }

Good luck

-=-

"samvent" wrote:

> When I try to use windows update I keep getting this error message. I am
> running xp pro sp3. WHen I run services.msc everything is started but it's
> telling me it's not.
> --
> sam

Re: error 0x8DDDoo18
Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm