trying to solve update error 80070490

John

trying to solve update error 80070490
Still trying to solve my update problemon with Vista ultimate. IE7
I ran the sytem update readiness tool.
It came up in the CBS log file with this mum? missing.
Am I on to something and can someone help me?
I downloaded the windowsupdateagent30 and tried to installl it.
It came up that it could not install Error: 80070490 (you guessed it)
Checking packages.
(f) CBS MUM
Missing 0x00000002 servicing\packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-AdmComp~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~nl-NL~7.0.6000.381.mum

Re: trying to solve update error 80070490
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista SP2 Beta)
when posting to this newsgroup.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

John wrote:
> Still trying to solve my update problemon with Vista ultimate. IE7
> I ran the sytem update readiness tool.
> It came up in the CBS log file with this mum? missing.
> Am I on to something and can someone help me?
> I downloaded the windowsupdateagent30 and tried to installl it.
> It came up that it could not install Error: 80070490 (you guessed it)
> Checking packages.
> (f) CBS MUM
> Missing 0x00000002
> servicing\packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-AdmComp~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~nl-NL~7.0.6000.381.mum

John

RE: trying to solve update error 80070490
OS Vista ultimate SP1
Windows update stopped a few weeks ago and comes up with Code 80070490.
There are no updates that failed, windows update states that it can no
longer get any updates. In trying to solve the error I noticed that the list
in "Enable or Disable Windows Components" is also empty now.
John

"John" wrote:

> Still trying to solve my update problemon with Vista ultimate. IE7
> I ran the sytem update readiness tool.
> It came up in the CBS log file with this mum? missing.
> Am I on to something and can someone help me?
> I downloaded the windowsupdateagent30 and tried to installl it.
> It came up that it could not install Error: 80070490 (you guessed it)
> Checking packages.
> (f) CBS MUM
> Missing 0x00000002 servicing\packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-AdmComp~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~nl-NL~7.0.6000.381.mum

Re: trying to solve update error 80070490
To whom are you replying, yourself?

Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

John wrote:
> OS Vista ultimate SP1
> Windows update stopped a few weeks ago and comes up with Code 80070490.
> There are no updates that failed, windows update states that it can no
> longer get any updates. In trying to solve the error I noticed that the
> list
> in "Enable or Disable Windows Components" is also empty now.
>
>> Still trying to solve my update problemon with Vista ultimate. IE7
>> I ran the sytem update readiness tool.
>> It came up in the CBS log file with this mum? missing.
>> Am I on to something and can someone help me?
>> I downloaded the windowsupdateagent30 and tried to installl it.
>> It came up that it could not install Error: 80070490 (you guessed it)
>> Checking packages.
>> (f) CBS MUM
>> Missing 0x00000002
>> servicing\packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-AdmComp~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~nl-NL~7.0.6000.381.mum

John

Re: trying to solve update error 80070490
Dear PA Bear,
I followed your links and performed 3 different scans.
They all came up good and could not find any hijacking or viruses.
I did make an incident request at MIcrosoft, but after trying several things
that are already posted in other threads, the only solution would be to
reinstall. An inplace upgrade is not possible due to my original DVD which is
before SP1. I cannot uninstall SP1 as it is not in the installed update list.
A new installation would take me a day.
John

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> To whom are you replying, yourself?
>
> Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>
> 3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> log to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> =====================
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> John wrote:
> > OS Vista ultimate SP1
> > Windows update stopped a few weeks ago and comes up with Code 80070490.
> > There are no updates that failed, windows update states that it can no
> > longer get any updates. In trying to solve the error I noticed that the
> > list
> > in "Enable or Disable Windows Components" is also empty now.
> >
> >> Still trying to solve my update problemon with Vista ultimate. IE7
> >> I ran the sytem update readiness tool.
> >> It came up in the CBS log file with this mum? missing.
> >> Am I on to something and can someone help me?
> >> I downloaded the windowsupdateagent30 and tried to installl it.
> >> It came up that it could not install Error: 80070490 (you guessed it)
> >> Checking packages.
> >> (f) CBS MUM
> >> Missing 0x00000002
> >> servicing\packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-AdmComp~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~nl-NL~7.0.6000.381.mum

Lynn

Re: trying to solve update error 80070490
I am also encountering the error. Have Vista as well. Been following all
the directions on these Dec & Jan threads to no avail.

HELP

"John" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
> > the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> > subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
> > security updates.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >

> > John wrote:
> > > OS Vista ultimate SP1
> > > Windows update stopped a few weeks ago and comes up with Code 80070490.
> > > There are no updates that failed, windows update states that it can no
> > > longer get any updates. In trying to solve the error I noticed that the
> > > list
> > > in "Enable or Disable Windows Components" is also empty now.

Robert Aldwinckle

"John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:139586E8-4CCD-4A89-9B29-E9DC3C7DC5B0@microsoft.com...
> Still trying to solve my update problemon with Vista ultimate. IE7
> I ran the sytem update readiness tool.
> It came up in the CBS log file with this mum? missing.
> Am I on to something and can someone help me?

> I downloaded the windowsupdateagent30 and tried to installl it.

It may help if you explain in detail what you did.
(E.g. machine characteristics and URL used.)

<title>How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent to help manage updates on a computer</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

(Live Search of Microsoft Support for
windowsupdateagent30 vista
)

> It came up that it could not install Error: 80070490 (you guessed it)
> Checking packages.
> (f) CBS MUM
> Missing 0x00000002 servicing\packages\WUClient-SelfUpdate-Core-AdmComp~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~nl-NL~7.0.6000.381.mum

So, you need a non-English version?
Perhaps you should do the equivalent Live Search
from a browser with Language Preferences set to
Dutch (Netherlands) [nl-NL].

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: trying to solve update error 80070490
Repost:

John wrote:
> Dear PA Bear,
> I followed your links and performed 3 different scans.
> They all came up good and could not find any hijacking or viruses.
> I did make an incident request at MIcrosoft, but after trying several
> things
> that are already posted in other threads, the only solution would be to
> reinstall. An inplace upgrade is not possible due to my original DVD which
> is before SP1. I cannot uninstall SP1 as it is not in the installed update
> list. A new installation would take me a day.
> John
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> To whom are you replying, yourself?
>>
>> Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.
>>
>> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>>
>> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>
>> 3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your
>> hijackthis
>> log to an appropriate forum.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
>> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
>>
>> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
>> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
>> (in conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
>> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
>> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
>> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> =====================
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:

>> in
>> with
>> security updates.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> John wrote:
>>> OS Vista ultimate SP1
>>> Windows update stopped a few weeks ago and comes up with Code 80070490.
>>> There are no updates that failed, windows update states that it can no
>>> longer get any updates. In trying to solve the error I noticed that the
>>> list
>>> in "Enable or Disable Windows Components" is also empty now.

John

Re: trying to solve update error 80070490
Robert thank you for responding,
I downloaded the update agent from Microsoft here:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe
Which should be the latest version.
I ran the program, it starts copying files and installation. Installation
stops and it comes up with "installation has failed error 0x80070490"