wuauclt.exe error message recurring

MJ

wuauclt.exe error message recurring
A few days ago, my computer started throwing wuauclt.exe error messages. I
submitted the error report and closed it, then the error box reappears in
about 4 hours. Went to Microsoft UIpdate website and got [Error number:
0x800706BE] when I tried to run update.

Running Win XP Home SP3.

I had slightly different issues a few weeks ago with the webiye update but
never had the wuauclt.exe errors before. Any ideas??

TaurArian

Re: wuauclt.exe error message recurring
MJ wrote:
:: A few days ago, my computer started throwing wuauclt.exe error
:: messages. I submitted the error report and closed it, then the
:: error box reappears in about 4 hours. Went to Microsoft UIpdate
:: website and got [Error number: 0x800706BE] when I tried to run
:: update.
::
:: Running Win XP Home SP3.
::
:: I had slightly different issues a few weeks ago with the webiye
:: update but never had the wuauclt.exe errors before. Any ideas??

0x800706BE RPC_S_CALL_FAILED = The remote procedure call failed.

Checkpoints:

Make sure the services mentioned below are not disabled on startup:

Go to Start > Run > type in : service.msc
Click OK or press Enter

Automatic Updates /Automatic

Background Intelligent Transfer Service / Manual or Automatic

Remote Procedural Call (RPC) / Automatic
Also click on the Log On tab and ensure that there is a Profile listed under
Hardware Profile and that it is Enabled.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Re: wuauclt.exe error message recurring
What TaurArian said. Or...

Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

MJ wrote:
> A few days ago, my computer started throwing wuauclt.exe error messages.
> submitted the error report and closed it, then the error box reappears in
> about 4 hours. Went to Microsoft UIpdate website and got [Error number:
> 0x800706BE] when I tried to run update.
>
> Running Win XP Home SP3.
>
> I had slightly different issues a few weeks ago with the webiye update but
> never had the wuauclt.exe errors before. Any ideas??

MJ

Re: wuauclt.exe error message recurring
Treid both solutions and neither helped. Any other ideas?

My machine says it has Suto Updates turned on but apparently whenever iot
tries, it throws the wuauclt.exe error box. I also unable to use WIndows
Update and that the review of installed updates tells me I have never
installed updates through the site but I have..just a few weeks ago.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What TaurArian said. Or...
>
> Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>
> 3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> log to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> =====================
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> MJ wrote:
> > A few days ago, my computer started throwing wuauclt.exe error messages.
> > submitted the error report and closed it, then the error box reappears in
> > about 4 hours. Went to Microsoft UIpdate website and got [Error number:
> > 0x800706BE] when I tried to run update.
> >
> > Running Win XP Home SP3.
> >
> > I had slightly different issues a few weeks ago with the webiye update but
> > never had the wuauclt.exe errors before. Any ideas??

Re: wuauclt.exe error message recurring
Please give us a link to the forum where you've posted your HijackThis log
for review by an expert in such matters, MJ.