Problems install IE7

jea

Problems install IE7
I am running the following:
Windows XP Professional
NT platform, Version 5.1
Service Pack 3

My bank is now demanding SP2 and/or IE7.
But, obviosly I don't have SP2, and then I cant update to IE7.
Shall I download XP2, if so, how?

Kayman

Re: Problems install IE7
On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 03:14:16 -0800, jea wrote:

> I am running the following:
> Windows XP Professional
> NT platform, Version 5.1
> Service Pack 3
>
> My bank is now demanding SP2 and/or IE7.

An odd request. The IT personnel of the bank should know that SP3 is an
essential upgrade of the WinXP operating system and supercedes SP2.

> But, obviosly I don't have SP2, and then I cant update to IE7.

You should be able downloading/installing IE7.

Read this before installing IE7:
Sandi's Installation Tips: 1 thru 8, 10 and 11, note 12 that's it.

Do not use Automatic/Windows Update for downloading/installing IE7!

Use this link instead:
Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP:

Save the program to your desktop then install.

Activate Windows Update after installing IE7 to download/install pertinent
updates offered, including Root Certificates updates.

> Shall I download XP2, if so, how?

No, SP3 is the one you want to keep!
Engel

RE: Problems install IE7
Hello jea,

Look here:
A Microsoft web site dedicated to Service Pack 2:
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Support Center
<http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=windowsxpsp2>

Good to read,
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Problem Solver
<http://winhlp.com/node/125>

Good luck
-=-

"jea" wrote:

> I am running the following:
> Windows XP Professional
> NT platform, Version 5.1
> Service Pack 3
>
> My bank is now demanding SP2 and/or IE7.
> But, obviosly I don't have SP2, and then I cant update to IE7.
> Shall I download XP2, if so, how?

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Problems install IE7
"jea" <jea@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> My bank is now demanding SP2 and/or IE7.
> But, obviosly I don't have SP2, and then I cant update to IE7.

That's not correct. IE7 installs fine on Windows XP SP3, SP3 supersedes
SP2. In case you've problems with installing IE7, make sure you *don't*
have Adobe Reader 9.0 installed. If you have AR 9.0 installed, uninstall
that one temporary, install IE7, and reinstall AR 9.0 afterwards in case
you feel to need AR to display PDF files.

Bye,
Freudi
Shenan Stanley

Re: Problems install IE7
jea wrote:
> I am running the following:
> Windows XP Professional
> NT platform, Version 5.1
> Service Pack 3
>
> My bank is now demanding SP2 and/or IE7.
> But, obviosly I don't have SP2, and then I cant update to IE7.
> Shall I download XP2, if so, how?

I believe someone (you, your bank - if you have actually spoken to someone
that is) is mistaken.

You say you have Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3. This means
you have everything from Service Pack 2 already installed. If your bank is
"demanding" SP2 _and/or_ IE7 - you have it covered. However, if your bank
is instead "demanding" SP2 _and_ IE7 (notice the "or" is gone) - then you
just need to install Internet Explorer 7.

Internet Explorer 7's requirements are Windows XP with SP2 or above. You
have Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 according to your own
posting. All you would need now is to install Internet Explorer 7.

In other words - you state you have Windows XP Professional with Service
Pack 3 installed and then say, "But, obviosly I don't have SP2, and then I
cant update to IE7."; which is completely incorrect. You have SP2 (and
everything released after SP2 until SP3 was released) and you can install
Internet Explorer 7 (as you meet the requirements for it.) ;-)

I assume the latter "XP2" is a typo for "SP2".

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

jea

Re: Problems install IE7
Thanks all,
I tried to download IE7, but immideatly ran into this message, translated
from Swedish:
This installation does not support the current language of the operating
system.
???

jea wrote:
> Thanks all,
> I tried to download IE7, but immideatly ran into this message,
> translated from Swedish:
> This installation does not support the current language of the
> operating system.
> ???

"language of the operating system"...
Which language version of Windows XP do you have installed?

Go here:

Change the "Change Language" drop-down appropriately before getting the
installation file.
( Maybe Swedish?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b )

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

jea

Re: Problems install IE7
I changed from swe to eng and then it worked fine, so now I have IE7
installed! Thankyou very much all !!!

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> jea wrote:
> > Thanks all,
> > I tried to download IE7, but immideatly ran into this message,
> > translated from Swedish:
> > This installation does not support the current language of the
> > operating system.
> > ???

> "language of the operating system"...
> Which language version of Windows XP do you have installed?
>
> Go here:
>
> Change the "Change Language" drop-down appropriately before getting the
> installation file.
> ( Maybe Swedish?
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b )
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Problems install IE7
ASAP go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical
Updates offered (i.e., KB958215). If a Root Certificates update is listed
in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

Follow all prompts & reboot: Is IE7 still in English?
--
IE7-specific newsgroup:

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Which language version of Windows XP do you have installed?
>
> Go here:

<snip>

Shenan, if you'd drop the <&displaylang=en> tags from such Download Center
links, the OP usually would be taken to the correct language version by
automatically when using the link.

In this case, if the OP went to
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805B2F90B
and then selected SWEDISH in the Change Language box, he'd be given

NB: Opening that last link will automatically reset all MS pages to
Swedish-language versions! To change it, click on the ─ndring link at top
right.
--
~PA Bear