POSSIBLE AND COSTLY IE7 installation!

Fred H.

POSSIBLE AND COSTLY IE7 installation!
After trying to install IE7 on Win xp pro SP3/IE6 several times, both from
net and from update-cd, I gave up and called customer support. (All programs
bought and the laptops hard-disk formatted before trying. Original OEM XP.)

The answer from "support" was that I had to connect via cable or pay more
than my laptop is worth. Naturally I gave up.

I am retired now, but I have been working with computers and programs since
before Windows/IBM PC. I still remember CP/M, Gary Kildall (RIP) and how
Windows started. I also know how to explain problems in a manner that the
customers feels that they might have done something wrong. I hoped these
times were gone, but you guys really make me feel young again!

Shame on you! The only change is that you are getting paid to lie!

I do not know how many thousands I have spent on your software during all
these years, but I think I would have gotten a nice car for it at least. I
feel like an idiot, because I have tried to be true to my principles.

I just started in the wrong lane, right?

Keep up the bad work, and you will end up like the dinosarus!

Regards,
Fred H.
Spikey

Re: POSSIBLE AND COSTLY IE7 installation!

"Fred H." <Fred H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After trying to install IE7 on Win xp pro SP3/IE6 several times, both from
> net and from update-cd, I gave up and called customer support. (All
> programs
> bought and the laptops hard-disk formatted before trying. Original OEM
> XP.)

Fred this is a public forum with volunteer experts and good old members of
the the public, not microsoft. Perhaps if you start a new thread and give
details of the exact problem you are having someone might be able to help
you solve it.

)

Shenan Stanley

Fred H. wrote:
> After trying to install IE7 on Win xp pro SP3/IE6 several times,
> both from net and from update-cd, I gave up and called customer
> support. (All programs bought and the laptops hard-disk formatted
> before trying. Original OEM XP.)
>
> The answer from "support" was that I had to connect via cable or
> pay more than my laptop is worth. Naturally I gave up.
>
> I am retired now, but I have been working with computers and
> programs since before Windows/IBM PC. I still remember CP/M, Gary
> Kildall (RIP) and how Windows started. I also know how to explain
> problems in a manner that the customers feels that they might have
> done something wrong. I hoped these times were gone, but you guys
> really make me feel young again!
>
> Shame on you! The only change is that you are getting paid to lie!
>
> I do not know how many thousands I have spent on your software
> during all these years, but I think I would have gotten a nice car
> for it at least. I feel like an idiot, because I have tried to be
> true to my principles.
>
> I just started in the wrong lane, right?
>
> Keep up the bad work, and you will end up like the dinosarus!

This is a peer-to-peer newsgroup. I don't know you and although there is a
possibility you have bought something from me in some manner - I doubt you
know me.

No worries - it is a common mistake - coming here and ranting/raving at
Microsoft about one thing or another just because their name is in the title
of the newsgroup - and expecting that you are actually communicating with
someone at Microsoft (and you *might* - but more likely you will communicate
with people who have no affiliation with Microsoft other than using their
products - like you.

If you would like - please describe your issues when attempting to install
Internet Explorer 7 on your Windows XP Professional with SP3 machine. Be
very detailed about what messages you get, etc. If you know about the Event
Log, please look through it and give the errors you see there. You may want
to post here and in the Internet Explorer specific newsgroups.

Just as a preliminary thing - before going too deep - you might want to do
some basic cleanup of your laptop.

- Make sure you have backups of all your important data. Pictures, emails,
contacts, documents, spreadsheets, databases, favorites/bookmarks, etc and
so on. Not having backups of the important (to you) things on a computer
is, at best, unwise.

- Ensure you have backups of your installation media (CD, DVD, downloaded
executables/installation files) and the product keys and serial numbers to
install/register them.

- Take inventory of your computer...

Belarc Advisor
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

- Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (seperately) with
the

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

After performing a full scan with one and then the other and
removing whatever they both find completely, you can remove
each of them if you like.

- Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to a
size between 64MB and 128MB..
- Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer.
- Select TOOLS -> Internet Options.
- Under the General tab in the "Temporary Internet Files" section,
do the following:
- Click on "Delete Cookies" (click OK)
- Click on "Settings" and change the "Amount of disk space to use:"
to something between 64MB and 128MB.
- Click OK.
- Click on "Delete Files" and select to "Delete all offline contents"
(the checkbox) and click OK. (If you had a LOT, this could take
2-10 minutes or more.)
- Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer, re-open Internet
Explorer.

- Uninstall applications you *do not* use and do not plan on using...

How to change or remove a program in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307895

- Ensure your computer has the latest "High Priority" updates from
Microsoft.

Windows Update
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

I can suggest getting most of the "Optional Software" updates as well
- although I personally recommend not getting "Windows Search". I also
recommend not getting any "Optional Hardware" updates from here.

- Look into alternative web browsers...

Mozilla Firefox
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

- Clean up your hard disk drive, clear out all but the last Restore Point,
check for errors, etc...

How to use Disk Cleanup
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

After you do that - you might try your installation of Internet Explorer
again - who knows - might work. If it doesn't - feel free to come back with
details and reply to this conversation so we know what you have tried!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: POSSIBLE AND COSTLY IE7 installation!
MS doesn't "live" here, Fred. We're all volunteers.

Required reading IMHO before installing IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP!
(ignore any references to Vista)

And I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Alternately, use this Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740486.aspx

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

=> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

On the web:

In your newsreader:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Fred H. wrote:
> After trying to install IE7 on Win xp pro SP3/IE6 several times, both from
> net and from update-cd, I gave up and called customer support. (All
> programs
> bought and the laptops hard-disk formatted before trying. Original OEM
> XP.)
>
> The answer from "support" was that I had to connect via cable or pay more
> than my laptop is worth. Naturally I gave up.
>
> I am retired now, but I have been working with computers and programs
> since
> before Windows/IBM PC. I still remember CP/M, Gary Kildall (RIP) and how
> Windows started. I also know how to explain problems in a manner that the
> customers feels that they might have done something wrong. I hoped these
> times were gone, but you guys really make me feel young again!
>
> Shame on you! The only change is that you are getting paid to lie!
>
> I do not know how many thousands I have spent on your software during all
> these years, but I think I would have gotten a nice car for it at least. I
> feel like an idiot, because I have tried to be true to my principles.
>
> I just started in the wrong lane, right?
>
> Keep up the bad work, and you will end up like the dinosarus!
>
> Regards,
> Fred H.

Fred H.

"Spikey" wrote:

> "Fred H." <Fred H.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After trying to install IE7 on Win xp pro SP3/IE6 several times, both from
> > net and from update-cd, I gave up and called customer support. (All
> > programs
> > bought and the laptops hard-disk formatted before trying. Original OEM
> > XP.)

> Fred this is a public forum with volunteer experts and good old members of
> the the public, not microsoft. Perhaps if you start a new thread and give
> details of the exact problem you are having someone might be able to help
> you solve it.
>
> )
>
> What do you mean? Wasn't the problem clarified? -> Installing IE7? Take a search on Google! There are thousands having the same problem. Do you think MS would reply if I wrote to them??? As I wrote I have tried the official support, therefore I use other channels to warne others about this communist policy!!

Fred
Fred H.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> How to use Disk Cleanup
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312
>
> How to scan your disks for errors
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
>
> How to Defragment your hard drives
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
>
> After you do that - you might try your installation of Internet Explorer
> again - who knows - might work. If it doesn't - feel free to come back with
> details and reply to this conversation so we know what you have tried!
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>

> Thank you for your well written reply, but sorry you did not read my agressive input too good. The laptop was cleaned using the best methods. (I got it free from a firm which used som kind of supereraser to format/clean the hard-disk.)

I bought Win XP Pro/SP3. To my amazement IE6 sp3 installed.
Theerefore I downloaded upgrade to IE7, but untill now I haven't been able
to install it. Tried uninstalling SP3, installing from MS update, from update
disk etc. NO LUCK! There are no other programs on the laptop, only Win XP.

Lucky you who has a good job to go to! I am getting crazy of beeing retired.
Fred
Fred H.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > customers feels that they might have done something wrong. I hoped these
> > times were gone, but you guys really make me feel young again!
> >
> > Shame on you! The only change is that you are getting paid to lie!
> >
> > I do not know how many thousands I have spent on your software during all
> > these years, but I think I would have gotten a nice car for it at least. I
> > feel like an idiot, because I have tried to be true to my principles.
> >
> > I just started in the wrong lane, right?
> >
> > Keep up the bad work, and you will end up like the dinosarus!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Fred H.

> Very good reply! It will be tested at once. By the way, I mentioned that the laptop was supererased/formatted, and I installed an original XP for this laptop only. Thereafter, I tried to install IE7. Thanks anyway.

Fred
Shenan Stanley

Fred H. wrote:
> Thank you for your well written reply, but sorry you did not read
> my agressive input too good. The laptop was cleaned using the best
> methods. (I got it free from a firm which used som kind of
> supereraser to format/clean the hard-disk.)
>
> I bought Win XP Pro/SP3. To my amazement IE6 sp3 installed.
> Theerefore I downloaded upgrade to IE7, but untill now I haven't
> been able to install it. Tried uninstalling SP3, installing from MS
> update, from update disk etc. NO LUCK! There are no other programs
> on the laptop, only Win XP.
>
> Lucky you who has a good job to go to! I am getting crazy of beeing
> retired.

I understood your intentions - I saw no need to acknowledge them further.
Nothing to do with me and me responding in kind does not help you remedy
your issues.

So you have not used the laptop at all - especially it has not touched the
internet? You have not surfed the web at all? There is a GOOD chance you
have infestations of some sort if you have surfed the web - especially if
(as you say) it is just Windows XP installed. No antivirus application,
basic Windows XP with SP3 (what about the dozens of post-sp3 updates?)

As for it being wiped with a 'supereraser'... Modern hard disk drives are
pretty much clean with a single zero-write pass. More can't hurt. There
are many freeware apps that do this - one that comes to mind immediately:

http://www.dban.org/

Take the advice I gave. Use the antispyware applications, update Windows
with all the other updates mentioned (other than IE7.) Do the disk cleanup,
change the Internet Explorer settings, download and install Firefox (you
might like it better anyway - and then who cares about IE7?) Take other's
advice too - download the IE7 update in full (unless you have done that
already.)

You should get a free antivirus on there soon, in any case. Between that
and the Windows Firewall and using the computer as a regular user (not a
user with adminstrative rights) for everyday usage - you should be fairly
safe.

You can complain all you want in life - it's good to blow off steam here and
there - but seldom does complaining without action get you anywhere. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: POSSIBLE AND COSTLY IE7 installation!
You're welcome & thanks for your feedback, Fred.

Given your reply, you may need to see this KB to be able to get the machine
fully patched...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

The Direct Download of IE7 installer is 14.7MB. Seeing as you're using
dial-up, you may want to order IE7 on CD; cf.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx

System Requirements:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...ie/sysreq.mspx

Tip: Do NOT be tempted to install IE8 Beta 2. Trust me, you've got enough
problems. <wink>

Fred H. wrote:
> Very good reply! It will be tested at once. By the way, I mentioned that
> the laptop was supererased/formatted, and I installed an original XP for
> this laptop only. Thereafter, I tried to install IE7. Thanks anyway. Fred
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> MS doesn't "live" here, Fred. We're all volunteers.
>>
>> Required reading IMHO before installing IE7:
>>
>> Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12,
>> then
>> STOP!
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
>> (ignore any references to Vista)
>>
>> And I strongly recommend using
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
>> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
>>
>> Alternately, use this Direct Download link:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
>>
>> Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.
>>
>> Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
>> installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
>> Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing
>> it
>> to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
>>
>> IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
>>
>> What's New in Internet Explorer 7
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms649487.aspx
>>
>> Release Notes
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740486.aspx
>>
>> IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
>>
>> => Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
>> seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
>>
>> On the web:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general
>>
>> In your newsreader:
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Fred H. wrote:
>>> After trying to install IE7 on Win xp pro SP3/IE6 several times, both
>>> from
>>> net and from update-cd, I gave up and called customer support. (All
>>> programs
>>> bought and the laptops hard-disk formatted before trying. Original OEM
>>> XP.)
>>>
>>> The answer from "support" was that I had to connect via cable or pay
>>> more
>>> than my laptop is worth. Naturally I gave up...

MicheleCortright

Re: POSSIBLE AND COSTLY IE7 installation!
Shenan Thank you for this clearly written response! It is (I hope) just what
I need! My comp has been acting funcky (sllloooowww) and I have been trying
to clean it out. I am so slow with computers though, I need all the help I
can get! thank you! And Fred I know the frustration of being stuck with a
computer. I am a bit baffled as to why someone with your experience is having
such problems but it really makes me have hope! I guess I am not such an
idiot! It just goes with the territory! Yay! I hope you resolve your problem
soon. Yelling at inocent people though may make you feel better for the
minute but it really is not so productive - or fair. Thanks though for your
attempt at a warning. I think I (might have?) got it. Microsoft sucks? Was
that it? Maybe I didn't get it after all.... Good luck!
;-) Michele