Re: Installation of IE7

[X-post to WU NG]

Did you recently do a clean install of WinXP and then install WinXP SP3
manually?

Please cite 3 or 4 other updates which also fail to install.

in the background when you installed SP3?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

alex2009 wrote:
> I tried to install it from Windows Update and manuallly from the microsoft
> website, but it did not work. After the setup there is a list of updates
> that could not be installed, and on this list there is Windows Internet
> Explorer
> 7. I have no idea why it does not work, but I guess it has something to do
> with the version of the service pack.
>
>> Please describe exactly what happens when you try to install Internet
>> Explorer 7.
>>
>> Are you installing Internet Explorer 7 from Windows Update?
>>
>> alex2009 wrote:
>>> I can't install IE7, I have XP Home Edition Service Pack 3. Is there
>>> another version for Service Pack 3?

alex2009

Re: Installation of IE7
Yes, I did a clean install of WinXP and then installed SP3. I haven't noticed
another update which failed yet. I use AntiVir Personal Edition and it was
running while installing SP3. Do I have to deinstall SP3, or did I install a
wrong version?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [X-post to WU NG]
>
> Did you recently do a clean install of WinXP and then install WinXP SP3
> manually?
>
> Please cite 3 or 4 other updates which also fail to install.

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed SP3?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> alex2009 wrote:
> > I tried to install it from Windows Update and manuallly from the microsoft
> > website, but it did not work. After the setup there is a list of updates
> > that could not be installed, and on this list there is Windows Internet
> > Explorer
> > 7. I have no idea why it does not work, but I guess it has something to do
> > with the version of the service pack.
> >
> >> Please describe exactly what happens when you try to install Internet
> >> Explorer 7.
> >>
> >> Are you installing Internet Explorer 7 from Windows Update?

Re: Installation of IE7
If you "haven't noticed another update which failed" to install, why did say
"there is a list of updates the could not be installed" in your first post?

Ideally, AntiVir would have been disabled prior to installing SP3. See...

If you go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, select CUSTOM & scan, are
any critical security updates offered? If so, can you install them
successfully? (Don't attempt to install IE7 again via Windows Update just
yet, please.) If not, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Moving on, I consider the following to be required reading before attempting
to IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP!
(ignore any references to Vista)

And I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Alternately, use this Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
~PA Bear

alex2009 wrote:
> Yes, I did a clean install of WinXP and then installed SP3. I haven't
> noticed another update which failed yet. I use AntiVir Personal Edition
> and
> it was running while installing SP3. Do I have to deinstall SP3, or did I
> install a wrong version?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [X-post to WU NG]
>>
>> Did you recently do a clean install of WinXP and then install WinXP SP3
>> manually?
>>
>> Please cite 3 or 4 other updates which also fail to install.

>> applications running in the background when you installed SP3?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> alex2009 wrote:
>>> I tried to install it from Windows Update and manuallly from the
>>> microsoft
>>> website, but it did not work. After the setup there is a list of updates
>>> that could not be installed, and on this list there is Windows Internet
>>> Explorer
>>> 7. I have no idea why it does not work, but I guess it has something to
>>> do
>>> with the version of the service pack.

Leonard Grey

Re: Installation of IE7
1- Before you install Service Pack 3 you need to already have Service
Pack 1. (Microsoft recommends Service Pack 2.)

2- Always temporarily disable your anti-malware software when installing
updates from Microsoft.

3- Always, always prepare before making major changes to your computer.
For example:

"Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/en-us
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est