error 646

jkremke

error 646
I have been trying to download updatees for widows vista. I keep getting
"Windows encountered an unknown error" error 646.any suggestions as what to
do? I have at least 5 downloads my computer needs
TaurArian

Re: error 646
jkremke wrote:
:: I have been trying to download updatees for widows vista. I keep
:: getting "Windows encountered an unknown error" error 646.any
:: suggestions as what to do? I have at least 5 downloads my computer
:: needs

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs,
and then clicking Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click View update history.

3. Find an update for Windows that has failed to install, and then
double-click the update to view more information.

Updates that have failed to install will display Failed under Status, next
to the update name.

4. In the Windows Update dialog box, next to Error details, review the error
code for the failed update.

5. Either follow the links in the Windows Update dialog box under More
Information or Help and Support to try to fix the problem, and then try
installing updates again by using Windows Update in Control Panel or post
back with the error code so perhaps someone may be able to assist further.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

TomofWC

Re: error 646
I don't think ou read the post.

The error code is 646. I am having the same issue.

Please read the post first then reply.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> jkremke wrote:
> :: I have been trying to download updatees for widows vista. I keep
> :: getting "Windows encountered an unknown error" error 646.any
> :: suggestions as what to do? I have at least 5 downloads my computer
> :: needs
>

> 1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs,
> and then clicking Windows Update.
>
> 2. In the left pane, click View update history.
>
> 3. Find an update for Windows that has failed to install, and then
> double-click the update to view more information.
>
> Updates that have failed to install will display Failed under Status, next
> to the update name.
>
> 4. In the Windows Update dialog box, next to Error details, review the error
> code for the failed update.
>
> 5. Either follow the links in the Windows Update dialog box under More
> Information or Help and Support to try to fix the problem, and then try
> installing updates again by using Windows Update in Control Panel or post
> back with the error code so perhaps someone may be able to assist further.
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
> Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

TaurArian

Re: error 646
I thought it was relevant to the original poster. Many posters fail to
provide sufficient information to assist in the diagnosis of problems.
I asked the OP for some more information, by checking the update history for
failed updates to give more clues. Just saying yo have an error code 646
doesn't mean that much really, does it?

I suggest you contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International
Support Web site:
https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
To make sure you receive the appropriate support information for your
location, select your region setting from the list and then click the arrow
button

TomofWC wrote:
:: I don't think ou read the post.
::
:: The error code is 646. I am having the same issue.
::
:: Please read the post first then reply.
::
:: "TaurArian" wrote:
::
::: jkremke wrote:
::::: I have been trying to download updatees for widows vista. I keep
::::: getting "Windows encountered an unknown error" error 646.any
::::: suggestions as what to do? I have at least 5 downloads my computer
::::: needs
:::
:::
:::
[...]
::: --
:::
::: ======================================
::: How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
::: Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no
::: warranties
::: or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
::: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: error 646

"TomofWC" <TomofWC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B6AD176-2CAD-4357-8461-1453A2784ADA@microsoft.com...
>I don't think ou read the post.
>
> The error code is 646. I am having the same issue.

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>set /a c = 0x646
1606
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

Feature ID not registered.
</cmd_output>

So, I guess you had better register your feature ID?

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

tinkerbelle1638

Re: error 646

I have been having this same problem and nothing that I do corrects it.
Vista is awful! Give those of us stuck with the trouble prone OS back XP!!

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "TomofWC" <TomofWC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B6AD176-2CAD-4357-8461-1453A2784ADA@microsoft.com...
> >I don't think ou read the post.
> >
> > The error code is 646. I am having the same issue.

> <cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
> E:\>set /a c = 0x646
> 1606
> E:\>net helpmsg %c%
>
> Feature ID not registered.
> </cmd_output>
>

> So, I guess you had better register your feature ID?
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Frank

Re: error 646
How do you register ID?

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "TomofWC" <TomofWC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B6AD176-2CAD-4357-8461-1453A2784ADA@microsoft.com...
> >I don't think ou read the post.
> >
> > The error code is 646. I am having the same issue.

> <cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
> E:\>set /a c = 0x646
> 1606
> E:\>net helpmsg %c%
>
> Feature ID not registered.
> </cmd_output>
>

> So, I guess you had better register your feature ID?
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

rlouisd

RE: error 646
Okay, finally, a solution. If you have Microsoft Outlook open (i.e. program
running) while you do this update, the update will be successful.

"jkremke" wrote:

> I have been trying to download updatees for widows vista. I keep getting
> "Windows encountered an unknown error" error 646.any suggestions as what to
> do? I have at least 5 downloads my computer needs

Re: error 646
What update?

rlouisd wrote:
> Okay, finally, a solution. If you have Microsoft Outlook open (i.e.
> program
> running) while you do this update, the update will be successful.
>
> "jkremke" wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to download updatees for widows vista. I keep getting
>> "Windows encountered an unknown error" error 646.any suggestions as what
>> do? I have at least 5 downloads my computer needs

Peter Foldes

Re: error 646
Junk filter update

--