stuck with windows update code: 80070490

John

stuck with windows update code: 80070490
Hello everybody, happy 2009. Not for my windows vista ultimate though.
I have this error code and update can no longer search for updates.
I tried all the solutions I found in the community, but no results.
I opened a Microsoft support issue, they came up with two possibilties which
I tried but no success. The final solution was to do an inplace upgrade.
Since my original dvd is before sp1 the upgrade option is greyed out.
Removing SP 1 failed also (no temp file and not in uninstalling upgrades)
Microsoft told me I should contact my computer retailer, my computer
supplier said it was a Microsoft issue and they could do nothing for me.
So if anyone has any new suggestion please let me know.

Re: stuck with windows update code: 80070490
Is IE8 Beta 2 installed, John?

If not, see everything (including the quoted sections, keeping in mind that
the OP was running Vista x64 & you may not be) in this archived post by my
MVP colleague TaurArian:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9541084a5eeab6

In any event, you should be able to format & reinstall Vista using your DVD.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

John wrote:
> Hello everybody, happy 2009. Not for my windows vista ultimate though.
> I have this error code and update can no longer search for updates.
> I tried all the solutions I found in the community, but no results.
> I opened a Microsoft support issue, they came up with two possibilties
> which
> I tried but no success. The final solution was to do an inplace upgrade.
> Since my original dvd is before sp1 the upgrade option is greyed out.
> Removing SP 1 failed also (no temp file and not in uninstalling upgrades)
> Microsoft told me I should contact my computer retailer, my computer
> supplier said it was a Microsoft issue and they could do nothing for me.
> So if anyone has any new suggestion please let me know.

John

Re: stuck with windows update code: 80070490
Hello PA,
Thank you for your suggestion.
I did try this already and it did not work for me.
I tried SFC scannow which came back 100% OK
I still have IE 7 installed.
You are right I can always start with a new installation. This however would
take me at least half a day. Reinstalling all the programs, mail and all the
rest. So for now I just do not update anymore and wait for an opportunity to
use sombody's new Vista dvd with sp1 (which I hopefully can use with my
original product key). There might be some other user with a solution.
I was very disappointed that although admitting it was a Microsoft problem
they could not offer me a better solution than a total reinstall. Apparantly
the error code gives insufficient information about what is wrong.
Thanks,
John

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is IE8 Beta 2 installed, John?
>
> If not, see everything (including the quoted sections, keeping in mind that
> the OP was running Vista x64 & you may not be) in this archived post by my
> MVP colleague TaurArian:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9541084a5eeab6
>
> In any event, you should be able to format & reinstall Vista using your DVD.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> John wrote:
> > Hello everybody, happy 2009. Not for my windows vista ultimate though.
> > I have this error code and update can no longer search for updates.
> > I tried all the solutions I found in the community, but no results.
> > I opened a Microsoft support issue, they came up with two possibilties
> > which
> > I tried but no success. The final solution was to do an inplace upgrade.
> > Since my original dvd is before sp1 the upgrade option is greyed out.
> > Removing SP 1 failed also (no temp file and not in uninstalling upgrades)
> > Microsoft told me I should contact my computer retailer, my computer
> > supplier said it was a Microsoft issue and they could do nothing for me.
> > So if anyone has any new suggestion please let me know.

Liskie, same problem here

"John" wrote:

> Hello PA,
> Thank you for your suggestion.
> I did try this already and it did not work for me.
> I tried SFC scannow which came back 100% OK
> I still have IE 7 installed.
> You are right I can always start with a new installation. This however would
> take me at least half a day. Reinstalling all the programs, mail and all the
> rest. So for now I just do not update anymore and wait for an opportunity to
> use sombody's new Vista dvd with sp1 (which I hopefully can use with my
> original product key). There might be some other user with a solution.
> I was very disappointed that although admitting it was a Microsoft problem
> they could not offer me a better solution than a total reinstall. Apparantly
> the error code gives insufficient information about what is wrong.
> Thanks,
> John
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Is IE8 Beta 2 installed, John?
> >
> > If not, see everything (including the quoted sections, keeping in mind that
> > the OP was running Vista x64 & you may not be) in this archived post by my
> > MVP colleague TaurArian:
> > http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9541084a5eeab6
> >
> > In any event, you should be able to format & reinstall Vista using your DVD.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >

> > John wrote:
> > > Hello everybody, happy 2009. Not for my windows vista ultimate though.
> > > I have this error code and update can no longer search for updates.
> > > I tried all the solutions I found in the community, but no results.
> > > I opened a Microsoft support issue, they came up with two possibilties
> > > which
> > > I tried but no success. The final solution was to do an inplace upgrade.
> > > Since my original dvd is before sp1 the upgrade option is greyed out.
> > > Removing SP 1 failed also (no temp file and not in uninstalling upgrades)
> > > Microsoft told me I should contact my computer retailer, my computer
> > > supplier said it was a Microsoft issue and they could do nothing for me.
> > > So if anyone has any new suggestion please let me know.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: stuck with windows update code: 80070490
The error code 800f0900 refers to an XML parsing error and there is no
one fix that resolves it in Vista.
Suggest you first try these methods and see if that gets windows update
working again: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958046

Start with Method 1, renaming SoftwareDistribution\Download
If no joy, do Method 2, renaming SoftwareDistribution.

BUT, after renaming the folder, download and save the Windows Update
Agent from the links on this blog:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...php?m=9&y=2007

Once the WUA is downloaded, move it to the root drive [ the drive where
Windows is installed to, usually C:\ ]
Do NOT put it in a folder, just move windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe to C:\

Next, Clean Boot the system:
Vista - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

After the system has clean booted, open an Elevated Command Prompt -
Start > in the Search field type in command , *right click* command
and choose 'Run as administrator' follow the prompts to allow it to run.

At the Command Prompt, type in the following, pressing Enter after each
command. You'll probably want to print these out as ALL programs and
browsers *must* be closed when executing the commands -

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
cd c:\
c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /wuforce
net start bits
net start wuauserv
exit

Restart the system now.
The system will still be in a Clean Boot state so there will not be any
interference by 3rd party software with the updating process [EX:
Antivirus software, antispy/malware programs]
IF the system can update now, then the issue is directly related to 3rd
party software.
NOTE: To avoid corruption in the SoftwareDistrbution subfolder,
configure the installed antivirus software to *never* scan this location
WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
or, exclude the files listed here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

*** Undo the changes made to Clean Boot the system now ***

If it can not, then there's a corruption issue in
WINDOWS\WinSxS

There are only a few methods to recover from that corruption -
1) Run the system file checker -
Vista : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

2) Run the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

3) Reformat and reinstall Vista or XP

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

John wrote:

> Hello everybody, happy 2009. Not for my windows vista ultimate though.
> I have this error code and update can no longer search for updates.
> I tried all the solutions I found in the community, but no results.
> I opened a Microsoft support issue, they came up with two possibilties which
> I tried but no success. The final solution was to do an inplace upgrade.
> Since my original dvd is before sp1 the upgrade option is greyed out.
> Removing SP 1 failed also (no temp file and not in uninstalling upgrades)
> Microsoft told me I should contact my computer retailer, my computer
> supplier said it was a Microsoft issue and they could do nothing for me.
> So if anyone has any new suggestion please let me know.

John

Re: stuck with windows update code: 80070490
Hello Mow,
Thank you for your suggestion.
You mention error code 800f0900 while I receive the error code 80080490.
I will try your proposed solution.
John

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> ===============
>

> John wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody, happy 2009. Not for my windows vista ultimate though.
> > I have this error code and update can no longer search for updates.
> > I tried all the solutions I found in the community, but no results.
> > I opened a Microsoft support issue, they came up with two possibilties which
> > I tried but no success. The final solution was to do an inplace upgrade.
> > Since my original dvd is before sp1 the upgrade option is greyed out.
> > Removing SP 1 failed also (no temp file and not in uninstalling upgrades)
> > Microsoft told me I should contact my computer retailer, my computer
> > supplier said it was a Microsoft issue and they could do nothing for me.
> > So if anyone has any new suggestion please let me know.

John

Re: stuck with windows update code: 80070490
Dear MowGreen,
I read in another post thet you got the problem fixed with an inplace
upgrade from the original Vista DVD.
Was that an OEM version you got with the computer or a full package version?
I would appreciate your answer.
John

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> ===============
>

> John wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody, happy 2009. Not for my windows vista ultimate though.
> > I have this error code and update can no longer search for updates.
> > I tried all the solutions I found in the community, but no results.
> > I opened a Microsoft support issue, they came up with two possibilties which
> > I tried but no success. The final solution was to do an inplace upgrade.
> > Since my original dvd is before sp1 the upgrade option is greyed out.
> > Removing SP 1 failed also (no temp file and not in uninstalling upgrades)
> > Microsoft told me I should contact my computer retailer, my computer
> > supplier said it was a Microsoft issue and they could do nothing for me.
> > So if anyone has any new suggestion please let me know.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: stuck with windows update code: 80070490
John,

I didn't get the error resolved because Vista is not installed here <w>
If you got the Vista RTM {retail} DVD included when you purchased the
system then you can attempt an 'inplace upgrade'. OEM DVD's are
different and I do not know if one can take that road with it.

What I do know is that corruption in WinSxS is the cause of the 80070490
error. I'm of the opinion that one possible way to avoid that is to
configure the antivirus/security suite to NOT scan nor monitor these
files with realtime|resident protection:

winsxs\*.cat
winsxs\*.manifest
winsxs\*.policy

The * is a wildcard that will exclude all .cat, .manifest, and .policy
files from being scanned by the AV. IF you do that John, I'd be curious
to know if that does indeed mitigate corruption in WinSxs. If not, then
the issue may possibly be inherent in Vista.

Also, see this MSKB to configure the AV NOT to scan the files listed in
it or, just have the AV configured to NOT scan this location

WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

Realtime or resident protection will not cause any corruption issues in
the DataStore subfolder.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten