WU thinks my PC is a Mac!

Bongwater

WU thinks my PC is a Mac!
I'm running Windows XP Pro since 3 years, and no previous problems with
updates. Last time I updated was a week before X-mas. Now, I get this error
message whenever I try to update:

"This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems
only. To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh
operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/."

What's this all about?! As if my computer suddenly would have transformed
into a Mac! (shudder)

TaurArian

Re: WU thinks my PC is a Mac!
Bongwater wrote:
:: I'm running Windows XP Pro since 3 years, and no previous problems
:: with updates. Last time I updated was a week before X-mas. Now, I
:: get this error message whenever I try to update:
::
:: "This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating
:: systems only. To find updates for Microsoft products that are
:: designed for Macintosh operating systems, please visit
:: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/."
::
:: What's this all about?! As if my computer suddenly would have
:: transformed into a Mac! (shudder)

See: Windows Update page says "Thank you for your interest in obtaining
updates from our site."
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/35/1/

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: WU thinks my PC is a Mac!
TaurArian wrote:
> Bongwater wrote:
> :: I'm running Windows XP Pro since 3 years, and no previous problems
> :: with updates. Last time I updated was a week before X-mas. Now, I
> :: get this error message whenever I try to update:
> ::
> :: "This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating
> :: systems only. To find updates for Microsoft products that are
> :: designed for Macintosh operating systems, please visit
> :: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/."
> ::
> :: What's this all about?! As if my computer suddenly would have
> :: transformed into a Mac! (shudder)
>

> See: Windows Update page says "Thank you for your interest in obtaining
> updates from our site."
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/35/1/

Bongwater ?!! Maybe the system is looking for Apple Records ? <jk>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
==============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
ChexMix

RE: WU thinks my PC is a Mac!
This may be a Symbol that Microsoft and Apple are working together!! JKJKJK
Mic- pple comes out with the new Wind-tosh 7!

"Bongwater" wrote:

> I'm running Windows XP Pro since 3 years, and no previous problems with
> updates. Last time I updated was a week before X-mas. Now, I get this error
> message whenever I try to update:
>
> "This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems
> only. To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh
> operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/."
>
> What's this all about?! As if my computer suddenly would have transformed
> into a Mac! (shudder)

MowGreen

Re: WU thinks my PC is a Mac!
See this article to resolve the error. *Remember* to back up any
registry keys prior to editing them.

Windows Update page says "Thank you for your interest in obtaining
updates from our site."
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...-our-site.html

" When you visit Windows Update to download updates to your system, the
following message may appear:

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating
systems only. To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed
for Macintosh operating systems, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.

Cause

This means that your system is sending an incorrect data (about the
Operating System) to the Microsoft Windows Update server. Windows Update
uses the operating system information that the navigator.userAgent
property returns to determine if you are running a supported operating
system. "

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"