error 80070490

the mechanic

error 80070490
window will not update keep getting error 80070940, they say you need to do a
repair install of windows vista what do you do if you don't have the vista
dvd?
Engel

RE: error 80070490
Hello mechanic,

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
<http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326246>

Good luck
-=-

"the mechanic" wrote:

> window will not update keep getting error 80070940, they say you need to do a
> repair install of windows vista what do you do if you don't have the vista
> dvd?

TaurArian

Re: error 80070490
the mechanic wrote:
:: window will not update keep getting error 80070940, they say you
:: need to do a repair install of windows vista what do you do if you
:: don't have the vista dvd?

Why don't you have a Vista DVD. You should have been provided with some
means of restoring your system with either Recovery Disks or a Vista DVD.
For OEM versions, you'll need to contact the manufacturer/retailer.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Re: error 80070490
See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9541084a5eeab6
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

the mechanic wrote:
> window will not update keep getting error 80070940, they say you need to
> do
> a repair install of windows vista what do you do if you don't have the
> vista
> dvd?

the mechanic

RE: error 80070490
Engel, Thank you for your good advise it was very helpfull, Infact I
contacted microsoft through the website you suggested and they were very
helpfull, they are
sending me a replacement dvd free of charge.
"Engel" wrote:

> Hello mechanic,
>
> How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
> <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326246>
>
> Good luck
> -=-
>

> "the mechanic" wrote:
>
> > window will not update keep getting error 80070940, they say you need to do a
> > repair install of windows vista what do you do if you don't have the vista
> > dvd?

Engel

RE: error 80070490
Hi Mechanic,

You're welcome, glad to have been of service and thanks for posting bªck.

(¯`·._.·Еиçеl·._.·´¯)
-=-

"the mechanic" wrote:

> Engel, Thank you for your good advise it was very helpfull, Infact I
> contacted microsoft through the website you suggested and they were very
> helpfull, they are
> sending me a replacement dvd free of charge.
> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hello mechanic,
> >
> > How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
> > <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326246>
> >
> > Good luck
> > -=-
> >

> > "the mechanic" wrote:
> >
> > > window will not update keep getting error 80070940, they say you need to do a
> > > repair install of windows vista what do you do if you don't have the vista
> > > dvd?

SOCAL

Re: error 80070490
i had this exact same problem and looked all over the comment boards and
troubleshooting forums all over the web and tried every single possible
solution (with the exception of the DVD "upgrade" solution which i was saving
as a last resort) with no success

Finally, on my last possible solution (before i went with the "upgrade") i
went on the "windows Update" history and found the exact date when windows
updated "Successfully" worked prior to the "Failed" messages and simply did a
system restore back to that day! After about 10 minutes while my laptop
restored itself back to 12/21/08 (the last day that windows update worked
correctly) i restarted it and the typical things were warning me (anti virus
out of date and firewall setting , etc) but after i updated those, i ran
windows update once again and everything went smoothly! Now there are no
errors and windows update worked perfectly

i hope this helps you all out because i was frustrated that i paid a little
over $1900 (in late July 2008) for a fully loaded XPS M1530 with everything
you can imagine on it, AND WINDOWS UPDATE WASNT WORKING PROPERLY just 5
months later!
Jason

Re: error 80070490
WOW....
i have the same issue and updates last happenned on the 12/21/08 as well.

the last update was an IE7 update KB960714
is that the same??

Hey MS peoples,
is there a known issue with this update.

i have reset the subinacl's and renamed the software distribution folder
etc...
i am determined not to run the DVD over my system..... so will try things if
needed to test.

"SOCAL" wrote:

> i had this exact same problem and looked all over the comment boards and
> troubleshooting forums all over the web and tried every single possible
> solution (with the exception of the DVD "upgrade" solution which i was saving
> as a last resort) with no success
>
> Finally, on my last possible solution (before i went with the "upgrade") i
> went on the "windows Update" history and found the exact date when windows
> updated "Successfully" worked prior to the "Failed" messages and simply did a
> system restore back to that day! After about 10 minutes while my laptop
> restored itself back to 12/21/08 (the last day that windows update worked
> correctly) i restarted it and the typical things were warning me (anti virus
> out of date and firewall setting , etc) but after i updated those, i ran
> windows update once again and everything went smoothly! Now there are no
> errors and windows update worked perfectly
>
> i hope this helps you all out because i was frustrated that i paid a little
> over $1900 (in late July 2008) for a fully loaded XPS M1530 with everything
> you can imagine on it, AND WINDOWS UPDATE WASNT WORKING PROPERLY just 5
> months later!

ChexMix

RE: error 80070490
My Computer (Running Windows Vista) It came with a manual...IVe Read this
manual and I found Something Intresting you Might want to know. There is a
Copy of your operating System hidden away on your hard drive. Here Are the
Steps to Enable this secrect Hard Drive section to reinstale Windows Vista
Without a CD:
1. Turn on or Restart Your Computer, Then Press F8 on your keyboard
repeatedly while your Computer is starting. When the Advance Boot Options
screen appears, click Repair Your Computer, then Click Next

2. Pick your country and Keyboard layout

3. Log on then Click Next

4. On the Sytem Recovery Options screen, click Recovery manager (The last
option). The System Recovery Wizard opens.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions

6. (Very Important) Click One of the System Recovery Options when prompted:

*Option 1: Recovery with automatic Data Back-up (This is recommened)- This
Moves the Contents of the Hard Drive to the C:\My Backup Folder and Installs
a new copy of Windows. This Option saves existing Data files, but all
programs must be reinstalled and the program settings reconfigured. you need
at LEAST 4GB of Hard Drive space to do this

*Option 2: Full Factory recovery- Reformats and restores the system softwere
as it was when you pirchased your Computer. This Process Deletes your data
files, so they must be saved on an external disk prior to reformatting

7. Click Next, then Click yes. Recovery Starts.

8. When Recovery is complete, click Finish. Your Computer will restart and
Windows will finish its Setup and Installation.

Notes: Your Computer will have all he files from when it was shipped from
the factory. You will need to download Windows Updates and Anti-Virus updates
to bring your computer up to date.

This is from a manual of an E machine, this may work on other computers..it
is not known.

"the mechanic" wrote:

> window will not update keep getting error 80070940, they say you need to do a
> repair install of windows vista what do you do if you don't have the vista
> dvd?

Michael

Re: error 80070490
"ChexMix" <ChexMix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Computer (Running Windows Vista) It came with a manual...IVe Read this
> manual and I found Something Intresting you Might want to know. There is a
> Copy of your operating System hidden away on your hard drive. Here Are the
> Steps to Enable this secrect Hard Drive section to reinstale Windows Vista
> Without a CD:

<snip a really OLD tune>

Welcome to the 20th century. You're about 10 years behind.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.