Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2

wnchere

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
I am running Vista SP1 on Dell Studio 1735. I keep receiving request to
install this update. When I view my update history, the update is listed
many times. However, when I view installed updates, the update is not
listed. Each time I update this, I am told the installation was successful.
But within a minute of restarting my computer, I am prompted to install this
update again.
wnchere

RE: Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
The above message relates to Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
(KB954430)

"wnchere" wrote:

> I am running Vista SP1 on Dell Studio 1735. I keep receiving request to
> install this update. When I view my update history, the update is listed
> many times. However, when I view installed updates, the update is not
> listed. Each time I update this, I am told the installation was successful.
> But within a minute of restarting my computer, I am prompted to install this
> update again.

TaurArian

wnchere wrote:
:: The above message relates to Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service
:: Pack 2 (KB954430)
::
:: "wnchere" wrote:
::
::: I am running Vista SP1 on Dell Studio 1735. I keep receiving
::: request to install this update. When I view my update history, the
::: update is listed many times. However, when I view installed
::: updates, the update is not listed. Each time I update this, I am
::: told the installation was successful. But within a minute of
::: restarting my computer, I am prompted to install this update again.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430
Check the known issues otherwise, see the part where you get get help for
this update.

or
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...xp=&sloc=en-us

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

wnchere

Re: Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pa
These steps from MS08-069 seemed to have resolved the issue. Thank you.

The following security updates do not support the complete removal of MSXML
4.0:
Security update 954430 for Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.0
Security update 936181 for Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.0
Security update 936181 for MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Security update 936181 for MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
This situation occurs because this version of MSXML is installed in
side-by-side mode. To work around this issue, follow these steps:
Remove security update 954430 by using the Add or Remove Programs item in
Control Panel.
Delete the Msxml4.dll file from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
Repair the previous installation of MSXML 4.0 by using the Add or Remove
Programs item in Control Panel.
The earlier versions of the Msxml4.dll file and of the Msxml4r.dll file are
restored to the side-by-side folder and to the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.

I checked for updates although Windows Update said my system was up to date
and then downloaded 954430 presented by Windows Update.

I did not receive the potential error message referenced in the article.