Windows XP Service Pack 3 - AVI Player

Heather

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - AVI Player
I downloaded a free AVI Player and during the installation I was told that
some windows files had been changed (unrecognizable) and to reinsert the
Windows XP Service Pack 3 CD. However, as this was part of the automatic
downloads quite some time ago and updates since ... how can I easily download
again or check to ensure that I'm okay again. I did remove the AVI Player,
but of course need to find out/fix the files that did get changed.
--
Heather

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3 - AVI Player
Post in this WinXP-specific newsgroup instead, Heather:

Heather wrote:
> I downloaded a free AVI Player and during the installation I was told that
> some windows files had been changed (unrecognizable) and to reinsert the
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 CD. However, as this was part of the automatic
> downloads quite some time ago and updates since ... how can I easily
> download again or check to ensure that I'm okay again. I did remove the
> AVI Player, but of course need to find out/fix the files that did get
> changed.

Engel

RE: Windows XP Service Pack 3 - AVI Player
Hello Heather,

Run SFC /SCANNOW
System File Checker (SFC) checks that all XP files are where they should
be and that they are uncorrupted.
WHY: You want to ensure that core operating system files have not been
damaged or modified.
How to Repair and Verify the Integrity of XP System
Files with System File Checker : SFC /SCANNOW
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747>

Good luck
-=-

"Heather" wrote:

> I downloaded a free AVI Player and during the installation I was told that
> some windows files had been changed (unrecognizable) and to reinsert the
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 CD. However, as this was part of the automatic
> downloads quite some time ago and updates since ... how can I easily download
> again or check to ensure that I'm okay again. I did remove the AVI Player,
> but of course need to find out/fix the files that did get changed.
> --
> Heather

Heather

RE: Windows XP Service Pack 3 - AVI Player
Thanks bunches. All is well now!
--
Heather

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Heather,
>
> Run SFC /SCANNOW
> System File Checker (SFC) checks that all XP files are where they should
> be and that they are uncorrupted.
> WHY: You want to ensure that core operating system files have not been
> damaged or modified.
> How to Repair and Verify the Integrity of XP System
> Files with System File Checker : SFC /SCANNOW
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747>
>
> Good luck
> -=-
>

> "Heather" wrote:
>
> > I downloaded a free AVI Player and during the installation I was told that
> > some windows files had been changed (unrecognizable) and to reinsert the
> > Windows XP Service Pack 3 CD. However, as this was part of the automatic
> > downloads quite some time ago and updates since ... how can I easily download
> > again or check to ensure that I'm okay again. I did remove the AVI Player,
> > but of course need to find out/fix the files that did get changed.
> > --
> > Heather

Engel

RE: Windows XP Service Pack 3 - AVI Player
Hi Heather,

You're welcome, glad to have been of service and thanks for posting back.

-=-