[Crosspost to OE General]
Your problem has nothing to do with Windows Update. Start here:
General OE Caveats:
- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.
- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm
- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.
- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:
Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
> running xp. I am unable to open oe just get a message saying that it has
> encountered a problem and must close.
> this happens on and offline any clues out there would be much appreciated