Re: windows xp update KB956841 will not install

TaurArian

Re: windows xp update KB956841 will not install
Dean wrote:
:: Hi as per subject windows xp update KB956841 will not install it has
:: downloaded but fails when it comes to the install
:: the screen states the following updates where not installed Security
:: Update for Windows XP (KB956841)
::
:: any assistance is apprecieted
:: Dean

Xposted to the Windows Update Newsgroups for your convenience.

Due to insufficient information (like why did it fail to install, error
codes or the relevant part of the windowsupdate.log), who knows -

Please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956841
How to obtain help and support for this security update

or

Check for error codes -
On the WU Website, select your history of updates - now click on failed
update (red mark) and see if there is an error code.
If there is an error code, write it down and post back or in the
alternative, do a search for the error code.

and/or

How to view the Update log in Windows:-

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate the error
code(s) associated with the latest failed attempt to download/install. If
appropriate copy and paste the error codes into this thread so someone may
be able to assist you. On the other hand, you may be able to find the error
code and other suggestions by searching the Newsgroup.

Also check Windows folder for file called KB956841.log if it exists and post
the contents of the failed update.
This may provide further clues as to why the update failed.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

FYI - How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and
Windows Server Update Services installation issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

You Cannot Install Some Updates or Programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

You cannot install updates that you download from the Windows Update Web
site on a Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934648/

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Dean

Re: windows xp update KB956841 will not install
Hi
Error Code: 0x80070003
I hope this is what youneed to help me

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Dean wrote:
> :: Hi as per subject windows xp update KB956841 will not install it has
> :: downloaded but fails when it comes to the install
> :: the screen states the following updates where not installed Security
> :: Update for Windows XP (KB956841)
> ::
> :: any assistance is apprecieted
> :: Dean
>

> Xposted to the Windows Update Newsgroups for your convenience.
>
> Due to insufficient information (like why did it fail to install, error
> codes or the relevant part of the windowsupdate.log), who knows -
>
> Please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956841
> How to obtain help and support for this security update
>
> or
>
> Check for error codes -
> On the WU Website, select your history of updates - now click on failed
> update (red mark) and see if there is an error code.
> If there is an error code, write it down and post back or in the
> alternative, do a search for the error code.
>
> and/or
>
> How to view the Update log in Windows:-
>
> Click Start, and then click Run.
> In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
> and then click OK.
>
> Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate the error
> code(s) associated with the latest failed attempt to download/install. If
> appropriate copy and paste the error codes into this thread so someone may
> be able to assist you. On the other hand, you may be able to find the error
> code and other suggestions by searching the Newsgroup.
>
> Also check Windows folder for file called KB956841.log if it exists and post
> the contents of the failed update.
> This may provide further clues as to why the update failed.
>
> How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> FYI - How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and
> Windows Server Update Services installation issues
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> You Cannot Install Some Updates or Programs
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>
> You cannot install updates that you download from the Windows Update Web
> site on a Windows XP-based computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934648/
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
> Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

Dean

Re: windows xp update KB956841 will not install
Hi
Tried the fix on the MS page
http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...n=en&IsMu=True
but it did not fix the problem

Dean

::: Dean wrote:
::::: Hi as per subject windows xp update KB956841 will not install it
::::: has downloaded but fails when it comes to the install
::::: the screen states the following updates where not installed
::::: Security Update for Windows XP (KB956841)
:::::
::::: any assistance is apprecieted
::::: Dean
:::
:::
:::
[...]
::: Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a
::: new Windows XP installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
::: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
:::
::: You Cannot Install Some Updates or Programs
::: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
:::
::: You cannot install updates that you download from the Windows
::: Update Web site on a Windows XP-based computer
::: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934648/
:::
:::
::: --
:::

Dean wrote:
:: Hi
:: Tried the fix on the MS page
::
http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...n=en&IsMu=True
:: but it did not fix the problem
::
:: Dean

::
"TaurArian" wrote:

Dean, see this KB article -

Error message when you try to download updates from the Microsoft Windows
Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site on a Windows XP-based
computer: "0x80070003"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916248