windows update won't work as my Automatic Update service won't ena

shvanc

windows update won't work as my Automatic Update service won't ena
windows update site will not load because my Automatic Update is disabled.
I can't get it to enable (gives me a 'error 1058' because no assoc. devices
are enabled)!!
auto update worked fine until last updates two days ago.
Have ensured Background Intelligent service is enabled & started.
Have checked my firewall fully allows win update--in fact, turned off my
zonealarm firewall as a test; my auto update still couldn't be started or
work.
Also, ran the sfc and got no problems.
Other threads don't offer help for my problem.
Please help.

TaurArian

Re: windows update won't work as my Automatic Update service won't ena
shvanc wrote:
:: windows update site will not load because my Automatic Update is
:: disabled. I can't get it to enable (gives me a 'error 1058' because
:: no assoc. devices are enabled)!!
:: auto update worked fine until last updates two days ago.
:: Have ensured Background Intelligent service is enabled & started.
:: Have checked my firewall fully allows win update--in fact, turned
:: off my zonealarm firewall as a test; my auto update still couldn't
:: be started or work.
:: Also, ran the sfc and got no problems.
:: Other threads don't offer help for my problem.
:: Please help.

Most likely your system is infected with malware "Vundo" or friends etc
http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Kayman

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 00:54:00 -0800, shvanc wrote:

> windows update site will not load because my Automatic Update is disabled.
> I can't get it to enable (gives me a 'error 1058' because no assoc. devices
> are enabled)!!
> auto update worked fine until last updates two days ago.
> Have ensured Background Intelligent service is enabled & started.
> Have checked my firewall fully allows win update--in fact, turned off my
> zonealarm firewall as a test; my auto update still couldn't be started or
> work.
> Also, ran the sfc and got no problems.
> Other threads don't offer help for my problem.
> Please help.

1.Clear the (IE) temporary Internet files and the history cache.
Click 'Start' and then click 'Run'... then type (or copy/paste)
"inetcpl.cpl" (w/out quotation marks) into the box, then click the 'OK'
button.
In Internet Properties panel 'General' tab, under 'Browsing history', click
'Delete...'button, in 'Delete Browsing History' panel, click the 'Delete
all...' button then place a checkmark into the box beside 'Also delete
files and settings stored by add-ons', Click 'Yes' and exit the Internet
Properties panel by clicking the 'OK' button.

2.Clean HDD
Click 'Start' and then click 'Run...' then type (or copy/paste) "cleanmgr"
(w/out quotation marks into the box, then click the 'OK' button. Select
your drive
(presumably WinXP (C and click OK.
--or--
2a.Delete files using Disk Cleanup (if on Vista)
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx

3.Download/execute:
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
--and--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

--and/optional--
Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool
http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
http://www.kaspersky.com/support/vir...vptool?level=2
--and/optional--
Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
--and/optional--
a-squared Free or a-squared Command Line Scanner
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/download/
--and/optional--
BitDefender10 Free Edition (*NOT FOR VISTA*)
http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Down...nVersion/1/42/

NOTE:
The above mentioned applications are not capable for real-time protection
of your computer; They are on-demand scanners.

Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool, Dr.Web CureIt!® have no update feature (so
they don't turn into full blown scanners). As soon as your computer is
cleaned you are supposed to remove these tools from your operating system
and revert back to your (updated) resident (real-time) AV application.
Re: Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool; To uninstall/move this program 'enable
self-defense' must be unchecked!

BitDefender10 Free Edition, a-squared Free or a-squared Command Line
Scanner and the free version of Malwarebytes© and SuperAntispyware have an
update feature; Keep the latter two (2) installed in addtion to your
resident AV/A-S applications and scan frequently.

BTW: "Malwarebytes actually performs better in Normal Mode" says Dustin
Cook, co-author of MBAM.

To scan your computer with the most up-to-date Kaspersky® AVPTool and
Dr.Web CureIT!® virus databases next time you should download new
Kaspersky® AVPTool and Dr.Web CureIt!® packages.

4.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29

NOTE:
Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
respective HJT forum.

5.Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

BTW: Consider removing ZA and revert back to the WinXP build-in firewall
application.

Good luck
shvanc

Re: windows update won't work as my Automatic Update service won't
Thank you so much for your time and expertise, TaurArian and Kayman;
especially, for your spot-on analysis of my problem and the unexpected but
much appreciated explicitness of your replies.
Apologies for this late reply but it has taken me all this time to get my
XPpro system (and Windows Update!) working.
The malacious intruder hid and changed many of my system settings. ie: in
IE7, hid my menu bar and various av & spyware aids; also cancelled any links
for getting to online av help. Almost locked up my logon, overflowed my
session resources within 20 minutes, etc. etc. Finally, after many sessions,
got Spybot checker & other tools to clean my machine --with some minor
assistance from zone alarm.
Thanks again. Have a great year!