WinXP Prof does not support AVG install

Loden

WinXP Prof does not support AVG install
Downloaded free trial version of AVG Anti Virus. Tried to install, but AVG
gave me a message: "Your version of Windows OS does not support. Installation
cannot continue." I went to Windows Updates, and got latest, plus automatic
updates was and is on, but still get same "can't install" msg from AVG. (1)
Any ideas? and (2) Do I need an anti-virus program or is WinXP Prof doing a
good enough job?
Kayman

Re: WinXP Prof does not support AVG install
On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 23:02:01 -0800, Loden wrote:

> Downloaded free trial version of AVG Anti Virus. Tried to install, but AVG
> gave me a message: "Your version of Windows OS does not support. Installation
> cannot continue." I went to Windows Updates, and got latest, plus automatic
> updates was and is on, but still get same "can't install" msg from AVG.
> (1) Any ideas?

A 3rd party firewall (ZA, Comodo etc.) may prevent a successful software
application. If this is the case remove it and revert back to the build-in
version and retry installing AVG. (Most 3rd party firewalls cannot
installed via Add or Remove programs and require purpose build removal
tools.)

> (2) Do I need an anti-virus program or is WinXP Prof doing a good enough job?

No you don't but this is much too controversial to discuss on Usenet :-).
The average homeuser can get by with a good-quality freware AV application.
IMO, Anti-Vir, Avast and to a certain extent AVG fall in to this category.

BTW:
Got SP3 yet?
Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

Why Service Packs are Better Than Patches.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc....mspx?mfr=true

Good luck
TaurArian

Loden wrote:
:: Downloaded free trial version of AVG Anti Virus. Tried to install,
:: but AVG gave me a message: "Your version of Windows OS does not
:: support. Installation cannot continue." I went to Windows Updates,
:: and got latest, plus automatic updates was and is on, but still get
:: same "can't install" msg from AVG. (1) Any ideas? and (2) Do I need
:: an anti-virus program or is WinXP Prof doing a good enough job?

According to this:
http://free.avg.com/download-avg-ant...e-edition#tba3
MS Windows 2000
MS Windows XP
MS Windows XP Pro x64 Edition
MS Windows Vista
MS Windows Vista x64 Edition
AVG only runs on Windows 2000 SP4 + Update Rollup 1, Windows XP SP2, Windows
XP Pro x64 Edition SP1 and Windows Vista/Vista x64 Edition or higher.

How to Check Which Version of Windows You Are Running
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type winver
3. Click OK.

A dialog box displays the version that you are running.

PS - of course you need an anti virus program.
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Re: WinXP Prof does not support AVG install
Right-click on My Computer | Properties | What Windows version is listed
here?

AVG Free Support Forums
http://freeforum.avg.com/

> ...Do I need an anti-virus program or is
> WinXP Prof doing a good enough job?

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net