Update Error 0x80070017

Information

Update Error 0x80070017
We have a machine running WinXP Home SP2 that will not accept any furthur
updates through WindowsUpdate.

It goes online through a Netgear router, and no firewall is on.

It is running AVG8 Free, which updates, and scans clean.

I have installed Spybot 1.6, which picked up a few items, removed them, and
now scans clean.

The latest version of Spysweeper is on as well, and only is running on
demand, not in real time. Its scan came back clean as well.

All updates, whether SP3 or the others available, fail with the above error.
We have clear the download cache, deleted all temp files and defragged, and
still cannot update.

Looking for any other options, short of backing up data and reformatting.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

TaurArian

Re: Update Error 0x80070017
Information wrote:
:: We have a machine running WinXP Home SP2 that will not accept any
:: furthur updates through WindowsUpdate.
::
[...]

0x80070017 -2147024873 - ERROR_CRC
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Error message when you use the Windows Update Web site or Microsoft Update
Web site to install updates: "0x80070017"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956704

Run the Chkdsk.exe tool to check the disk for errors

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Re: Update Error 0x80070017
What TaurArian said.

Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Information wrote:
> We have a machine running WinXP Home SP2 that will not accept any furthur
> updates through WindowsUpdate.
>
> It goes online through a Netgear router, and no firewall is on.
>
> It is running AVG8 Free, which updates, and scans clean.
>
> I have installed Spybot 1.6, which picked up a few items, removed them,
> and
> now scans clean.
>
> The latest version of Spysweeper is on as well, and only is running on
> demand, not in real time. Its scan came back clean as well.
>
> All updates, whether SP3 or the others available, fail with the above
> error.
> We have clear the download cache, deleted all temp files and defragged,
> and
> still cannot update.
>
> Looking for any other options, short of backing up data and reformatting.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dan

Information

Re: Update Error 0x80070017
It took a few reboots but the chkdsk finally cleared some corrupt files.
All is well after clearing the software distribution, as well.

Thanks for the replies.

"TaurArian" <taurarian@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Information wrote:
> :: We have a machine running WinXP Home SP2 that will not accept any
> :: furthur updates through WindowsUpdate.
> ::
> :: It goes online through a Netgear router, and no firewall is on.
> ::
> :: It is running AVG8 Free, which updates, and scans clean.
> ::
> :: I have installed Spybot 1.6, which picked up a few items, removed
> :: them, and now scans clean.
> ::
> :: The latest version of Spysweeper is on as well, and only is running
> :: on demand, not in real time. Its scan came back clean as well.
> ::
> :: All updates, whether SP3 or the others available, fail with the
> :: above error. We have clear the download cache, deleted all temp
> :: files and defragged, and still cannot update.
> ::
> :: Looking for any other options, short of backing up data and
> :: reformatting.
> ::
> :: Thanks in advance,
> ::
> :: Dan
>

> 0x80070017 -2147024873 - ERROR_CRC
> Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
>
> Error message when you use the Windows Update Web site or Microsoft Update
> Web site to install updates: "0x80070017"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956704
>
> Run the Chkdsk.exe tool to check the disk for errors
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
> Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

Re: Update Error 0x80070017
Then why did you begin a new thread 2 minutes before posting this reply
saying WU was being redirected to msn.com?