Windows Update error 80072efd

Angela

Windows Update error 80072efd
i recently installed windows xp and now i am getting an error for defenders
update of 80072efd - i tried starting in safe mode, removing the "softwear
distribution" folder contents (that didn't work), i have been all over this
support site and none of the links i find to fix the problem open (i get an
internet cant open the web page error) - any ideas how to update defender and
get rid of this error???

also recently started getting an error upon start up of
rundll error loading C:\progra~1\mywebs~1\bar\.bin\m3plugin.dll
does this matter?? and any advise on how to stop this too?

thanks
--
Angela
Engel

RE: Windows Update error 80072efd
Hello Angela,

Maybe you have a corrupted file.

This will probably not be your solution but it is easy and can't hurt to try.

Give this a try and see if it solves the problem................

Run SFC to see if any file from the OS has been delete or corrupt.

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories and right-click
on the Command Prompt and choose "Run as administrator".
Type in: SFC /SCANNOW and press your Enter key.

Can you update Defender manually via

<http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal>

Look in the right side panel for a 32 bits

Next

I'd suggest calling Microsoft: 1-866-pcsafety assuming U.S. or Canada. If
elsewhere, you can call the nearest number for paid Microsoft support and
ask for the free help for security patch or malware issues.

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"Angela" wrote:

> i recently installed windows xp and now i am getting an error for defenders
> update of 80072efd - i tried starting in safe mode, removing the "softwear
> distribution" folder contents (that didn't work), i have been all over this
> support site and none of the links i find to fix the problem open (i get an
> internet cant open the web page error) - any ideas how to update defender and
> get rid of this error???
>
> also recently started getting an error upon start up of
> rundll error loading C:\progra~1\mywebs~1\bar\.bin\m3plugin.dll
> does this matter?? and any advise on how to stop this too?
>
> thanks
> --
> Angela

Engel

RE: Windows Update error 80072efd
Hi Angela,

Forgot this link

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Good luck
-=-

"Angela" wrote:

> i recently installed windows xp and now i am getting an error for defenders
> update of 80072efd - i tried starting in safe mode, removing the "softwear
> distribution" folder contents (that didn't work), i have been all over this
> support site and none of the links i find to fix the problem open (i get an
> internet cant open the web page error) - any ideas how to update defender and
> get rid of this error???
>
> also recently started getting an error upon start up of
> rundll error loading C:\progra~1\mywebs~1\bar\.bin\m3plugin.dll
> does this matter?? and any advise on how to stop this too?
>
> thanks
> --
> Angela

Re: Windows Update error 80072efd
Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Angela wrote:
> i recently installed windows xp and now i am getting an error for
> defenders
> update of 80072efd - i tried starting in safe mode, removing the "softwear
> distribution" folder contents (that didn't work), i have been all over
> this
> support site and none of the links i find to fix the problem open (i get
> an
> internet cant open the web page error) - any ideas how to update defender
> and get rid of this error???
>
> also recently started getting an error upon start up of
> rundll error loading C:\progra~1\mywebs~1\bar\.bin\m3plugin.dll
> does this matter?? and any advise on how to stop this too?
>
> thanks

dogsbie

Re: Windows Update error 80072efd

right this is what worked for me. Download this
bc://bt/QUEvTWFsd2FyZSBDbGVhbmluZyBEaXNjIHZlcnNpb24gMDkvMj UwMTQ0MTMyLzdlZDYyMjYyYzAzOTU4NWEyYTRkYTZmOTNlZDkw Mjk4YTU5NjVmNzAvWlo=
in there there is a free trial of trojon remover (you could just search
for the trial online but im just telling you what worked for me) when
yove downloaded that install trojan remover and run a scan. It will find
trojan files. Then you should be able to do a windows update and then
update your windows defender. Please let me know how you get on as this
is my first post ever!

--
dogsbie
dogsbie's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/dogsbie.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

dawnyy

Re: Windows Update error 80072efd

I have also suffered with the same problems posted here for monthsd and
recently found an answer. I wanted to post this in as many places as
possible, so I hope you don't mind me posting it here. Essentially, you
will need to do the following:-

1) Open an elevated Command Prompt window click the Vista Orb (Start
button), type command prompt, right click the Command Prompt shortcut in
the Program list and select Run As Administrator.

2) To display the current proxy setting of Windows Update, execute this
command:
netsh winhttp show proxy

3) If the proxy server is shown in the show proxy result, then
execute this command to disable the Windows Update proxy setting:
netsh winhttp reset proxy

For a full explanation of this solution, you can read the full post
here:-

http://www.walkernews.net/2009/05/14...-in-vista-sp1/

I truly hope this helps someone else.

--
dawnyy
dawnyy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/110601.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

ins.rpraveenkumar is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Update error 80072efd
Hi Angela

I saw your post. The error 80072efd will occur while checking the windows updates. The problem is with the proxy server. For that you need to do the following steps.

1) Try to start the WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery service in services window
2) Tried to put a check mark on "Automatically detect settings" in Tools menu-Internet options-connections-LAN settings.
3) tried to disable the firewall and uninstall the antivirus.
4)If nothing works, run a repair installation using the installation DVD

Regards

Praveen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela View Post
i recently installed windows xp and now i am getting an error for defenders
update of 80072efd - i tried starting in safe mode, removing the "softwear
distribution" folder contents (that didn't work), i have been all over this
support site and none of the links i find to fix the problem open (i get an
internet cant open the web page error) - any ideas how to update defender and
get rid of this error???

also recently started getting an error upon start up of
rundll error loading C:\progra~1\mywebs~1\bar\.bin\m3plugin.dll
does this matter?? and any advise on how to stop this too?

thanks
--
Angela
MowGreen

Re: Windows Update error 80072efd
Angela's *XP* system has a spyware issue that is preventing successul
communication with the update servers :

> also recently started getting an error upon start up of
> rundll error loading C:\progra~1\mywebs~1\bar\.bin\m3plugin.dll
> does this matter?? and any advise on how to stop this too?

Open Internet Options in the Control Panel
Click the Programs tab
Click the Manage Add ons button
Locate the MyWebSearch add on
Click the Disable button
Close Internet Options

In Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs
Uninstall anything that has 'MyWebSearch' in it's name

IF removing the spyware did not fully resolve the issue, then the
Winsock may need to be rebuilt.

Click Start > Run > type in
cmd
Press Enter or click OK
At the Command Prompt type in the below and then press Enter after each
command

netsh winsock reset
exit

After entering the first command you'll be notified that the system
needs to be restarted to complete the operation.
The second command will close the Command Prompt
Now restart the system and see if it can update.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten