Problem installing Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB952069)

kelandtrace

Problem installing Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB952069)

Hi. Hopefully someone can help me. I have tried to install this update
several times and each time it says it was installed successfully but a
few minutes later it comes up again. I have tried turning off automatic
updates and installing manually from the Windows update site but the
same thing happens.

--
kelandtrace
kelandtrace's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/kelandtrace.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

TaurArian

Re: Problem installing Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB952069)
kelandtrace wrote:
:: Hi. Hopefully someone can help me. I have tried to install this
:: update several times and each time it says it was installed
:: successfully but a few minutes later it comes up again. I have tried
:: turning off automatic updates and installing manually from the
:: Windows update site but the same thing happens.
::
::
:: --
:: kelandtrace
:: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
:: kelandtrace's Profile:
:: http://forums.techarena.in/members/kelandtrace.htm View this thread:
:: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1097116.htm
::
:: http://forums.techarena.in

Did you read the article -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=952069

And in particular - How to obtain help and support for this security update
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Re: Problem installing Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB952069)
How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3) and *only until* 14 Apr-09.
(Chat and e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.)
Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
"Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

kelandtrace wrote:
> Hi. Hopefully someone can help me. I have tried to install this update
> several times and each time it says it was installed successfully but a
> few minutes later it comes up again. I have tried turning off automatic
> updates and installing manually from the Windows update site but the
> same thing happens.

kelandtrace

Re: Problem installing Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB952069)

Thanks guys. I have submitted a support request with Microsoft. I'm just
waiting for a reply.

--
kelandtrace
kelandtrace's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/kelandtrace.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1097116.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

NancyZ is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Problem installing Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB952069)
MS doesn't have the answer. Better to look at the other thread on this same security update. I just wen thru 4 days with MS and I ended up getting the answer at the other thread. if you put KB 952069 in the vista head search field it will come up. A guy named Nathan and a kent_diego solved it.

I uninstalled Windows Media Player, reinstalled it and went to MS update and downloaded all WMP updates and then the KB 952069 installed. Only thing is, my SP3 was already removed by MS support. MS insists that this is for SP2 and won't install with SP3 on there. Don't know if that is true or not since my SP3 was already removed. But until I updated WMP this didn't work.

I had to email the MS Security Update Support Professional the answer on this forum. Kinda sad...
It stands to reason though, since this patches a security hole in WMP.
And I learned another thing. There's a dif between installing and executing. Originally they told me I could ignore the icon cause it installed successfully but I insisted that as long as the icon was insisting I didn't feel convinced that the security hole it was to patch, was really patched. After it was fixed I was then told "it installed successfully but it hadn't executed!" So I was right after all...I really didn't have whatever protection for which this was designed. If I had googled properly the first time (I forgot to put a space between the kb and the number 953069) I could have saved myself 4 days of MS support fiddling with my computer. Without the space I didn't find this forum. Thank God the customers figure things out! I've never really had a problem with MS till now after 15 years so I guess I'm lucky.

So go check out Nathan's suggestion on the other thread with the same KB number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelandtrace View Post
Thanks guys. I have submitted a support request with Microsoft. I'm just
waiting for a reply.

--
kelandtrace
kelandtrace's Profile: kelandtrace's profile on TechArena Computer Hardware Support Forums of India
View this thread: Problem installing Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB952069) - Windows Update

TechArena Community - Technology and Computer Hardware Support Forums of India