update to SP2

Robin

update to SP2
Can't update to SP 2 for Windows XP Home. Get error 0x800704DD. any ideas?
Thanks
Shenan Stanley

Re: update to SP2
Robin wrote:
> Can't update to SP 2 for Windows XP Home. Get error 0x800704DD.
> any ideas?

Do have a question... Why SP2?

Is this an RTM installation - no Service Packs yet?
Or does it at least have SP1a?

If the latter - why not SP3?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

TaurArian

Re: update to SP2
Robin wrote:
:: Can't update to SP 2 for Windows XP Home. Get error 0x800704DD. any
:: ideas? Thanks

Error messages that you may receive when you try to download and install
updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the Microsoft Update Web
site, or from a WSUS server: "0x800704DD," "0x80240020," or both
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Re: update to SP2
Are you running WinXP Gold or WinXP SP1(a) currently?

Robin wrote:
> Can't update to SP 2 for Windows XP Home. Get error 0x800704DD. any
> ideas?
> Thanks

Robin

Re: update to SP2

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Robin wrote:
> > Can't update to SP 2 for Windows XP Home. Get error 0x800704DD.
> > any ideas?

> Do have a question... Why SP2?
>
> Is this an RTM installation - no Service Packs yet?
> Or does it at least have SP1a?
>
> If the latter - why not SP3?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Robin

Re: update to SP2
sorry for the empty post--computer novice. I have SP1 and AOL (which I think
is the problem). I've turned off all filters. Couldn't even read everyone's
replies to my question from the notification email. Something will not allow
me to connect with the updates. Can't figure it out. Thanks for ANY help
you can provide. I'm trying to install a new printer, scanner, copier and it
won't install until I download SP2.
"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Robin wrote:
> > Can't update to SP 2 for Windows XP Home. Get error 0x800704DD.
> > any ideas?

> Do have a question... Why SP2?
>
> Is this an RTM installation - no Service Packs yet?
> Or does it at least have SP1a?
>
> If the latter - why not SP3?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Robin

Re: update to SP2
Thanks. I tried to follow the advice but couldn't find the files. Didn't
want to edit anything because was afraid I'd crash the computer. Can you
tell I'm a novice. Just trying to install new printer and it won't allow me
to do so until I've downloaded SP2. I think the inability to connect with
Microsoft has something to do with AOL but I've disconnected every filter I
can. I have SP 1 only. Any ideas "Oh Great Computer Wizard". :-) I
couldn't even access everyone's replies from my email notification link.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Robin wrote:
> :: Can't update to SP 2 for Windows XP Home. Get error 0x800704DD. any
> :: ideas? Thanks
>

> Error messages that you may receive when you try to download and install
> updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the Microsoft Update Web
> site, or from a WSUS server: "0x800704DD," "0x80240020," or both
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> or guarantees and doesn't give any rights. Computer Maintenance:
> Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco

Robin

Re: update to SP2
WinXP SP1--I think AOL is blocking access but have turned off filters.
Couldn't even access inquiry replies from email notification--would connect
to Microsoft but not show replies. Thanks for ANY help--trying to hook up
new printer but says it's not compatible with my system--need SP 2.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you running WinXP Gold or WinXP SP1(a) currently?
>
> Robin wrote:
> > Can't update to SP 2 for Windows XP Home. Get error 0x800704DD. any
> > ideas?
> > Thanks

Re: update to SP2
[You will want to print the following instructions (or copy/paste into
Notepad) for offline reference, Robin.]

TIP: Use IE, not AOL Browser, to access the links below.

HOW TO get WinXP SP1 fully patched:

1. Download & save the installer for WinXP SP3 to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1e1555d4f3d4

[Yes, you can skip WinXP SP2 altogether.]

2. Read & heed:

3. Logged in as Administrator, if necessary, double-click on the saved file
to install WinXP SP3. Follow all prompts; be patient, and reboot twice when
the install completes.

4. Do Resolution Method 2 here (trust me):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

5. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Install any required software
then click on CONTINUE | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any critical
security updates offered. Again, follow all prompts.

[I do NOT recommend installing IE7 via Windows Update.]

6. Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled; cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Additional References:

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx

Learn how to protect your PC by taking three simple steps
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-602954130D38
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Robin wrote:
> WinXP SP1--I think AOL is blocking access but have turned off filters.
> Couldn't even access inquiry replies from email notification--would
> connect
> to Microsoft but not show replies. Thanks for ANY help--trying to hook up
> new printer but says it's not compatible with my system--need SP 2.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Are you running WinXP Gold or WinXP SP1(a) currently?
>>
>> Robin wrote:
>>> Can't update to SP 2 for Windows XP Home. Get error 0x800704DD. any
>>> ideas?

Robin

Re: update to SP2
Thank you SO much PA Bear. I followed your directions and was able to
download SP3--still don't get the part about Resolution Method 2 but that was
never an option presented to me--and when I check my computer specs it notes
that I have Windows XP with SP 3. I was able to install the printer software
but the darn thing doesn't print--everything works but the ink. I worked
with the tech for about half an hour doing all kinds of diagnostics and
NOTHING. They are sending me a new one. But I digress--you are THE WINDOWS
MASTER. Thanks again. Robin