AUTOMATIC UPDATE DISABLED

Achyut

AUTOMATIC UPDATE DISABLED
1. For the past week, if I try to check for updates on the microsoft updates
page, it asks me to run "services.msc"..but that doesn't work.
2. My automatic updates continues to show as disabled.
3. Around the same time, something called "anti-virus 2009" kept popping up
and didn't budge even when I tried to cross it out.
4. I ran an anti-virus scan with my "freedom" anti virus and it found
something called "JS/FakeAV.A" and gave the file name as "FREESCAN[1].HTM".
I deleted it. I ran "freedom" anti-spyware and it found around 12 spywares
tha I deleted.

The automatic or manula updates still don't work.

Achyut
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Re: AUTOMATIC UPDATE DISABLED
Achyut wrote:

> 1. For the past week, if I try to check for updates on the microsoft
> updates page, it asks me to run "services.msc"..but that doesn't work.
> 2. My automatic updates continues to show as disabled.
> 3. Around the same time, something called "anti-virus 2009" kept popping
> up and didn't budge even when I tried to cross it out.
> 4. I ran an anti-virus scan with my "freedom" anti virus and it found
> something called "JS/FakeAV.A" and gave the file name as
> "FREESCAN[1].HTM". I deleted it. I ran "freedom" anti-spyware and it
> found around 12 spywares tha I deleted.
>
> The automatic or manula updates still don't work.
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Run the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool:

Download, install, update and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (freeware):
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
and SUPERAntispyware (freeware):
http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

See and follow:
"Checking for/Help with Spyware, Malware and Hijackware".
http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/Post_4820.aspx

If you need more help with virus-related issues, contact Microsoft Product
Support Services.
For support within the United States and Canada, call toll-free (866)
PCSAFETY (727-2338).
For support outside the United States and Canada, visit the Product Support
Services Web page (http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=SecurityHome).

For the virus/worm issues ask for help also in the Microsoft Newsgroup -
Security - Viruses.
Via your newsreader:
Via Web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...security.virus

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

Achyut

RE: AUTOMATIC UPDATE DISABLED
One more thing..
Do I have to format my computer and reinstall windows. I bought my system
with windows installed, from Future Shop..so there is no CD. So do I have to
take it to the dealer to do this? I don't want to..the dealer is just
terrible.
--
Achyut

"Achyut" wrote:

> 1. For the past week, if I try to check for updates on the microsoft updates
> page, it asks me to run "services.msc"..but that doesn't work.
> 2. My automatic updates continues to show as disabled.
> 3. Around the same time, something called "anti-virus 2009" kept popping up
> and didn't budge even when I tried to cross it out.
> 4. I ran an anti-virus scan with my "freedom" anti virus and it found
> something called "JS/FakeAV.A" and gave the file name as "FREESCAN[1].HTM".
> I deleted it. I ran "freedom" anti-spyware and it found around 12 spywares
> tha I deleted.
>
> The automatic or manula updates still don't work.
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
>
> --
> Achyut

Achyut

Re: AUTOMATIC UPDATE DISABLED
Thanks
However I'd still like to know why my windows automatic update doesn't work.
--
Achyut

Achyut wrote:

> Thanks
> However I'd still like to know why my windows automatic update doesn't
> work.

System may be infected with malware "Vundo":
http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

>> Run the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>>

>> Download, install, update and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (freeware):
>> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
>> and SUPERAntispyware (freeware):

http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

>> See and follow:
>> "Checking for/Help with Spyware, Malware and Hijackware".
>> http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/Post_4820.aspx
>>
>> If you need more help with virus-related issues, contact Microsoft
>> Product Support Services.
>> For support within the United States and Canada, call toll-free (866)
>> PCSAFETY (727-2338).
>> For support outside the United States and Canada, visit the Product
>> Support Services Web page
>> (http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=SecurityHome).
>>
>> For the virus/worm issues ask for help also in the Microsoft Newsgroup -
>> Security - Viruses.
>> Via your newsreader:
>> Via Web:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...security.virus

>> --
>> Vincenzo Di Russo
>> Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional since 2003
>> Windows Internet Explorer, Windows Desktop Experience & Security
>> My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
>> My Blog: http://blogs.dotnethell.it/vincent/

Engel

RE: AUTOMATIC UPDATE DISABLED
Hello Achyut,

You should call the computer manufacturer's (HP, Dell, etc, etc) tech
support, because you should have a limited time period warrantee for software
and hardware support.

If anyone is going to get your CD out of it, it will be them. For less than
$10.00 + Shipping.

Good luck
-=-

PS. FYI
<http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326246>

"Achyut" wrote:

> One more thing..
> Do I have to format my computer and reinstall windows. I bought my system
> with windows installed, from Future Shop..so there is no CD. So do I have to
> take it to the dealer to do this? I don't want to..the dealer is just
> terrible.
> --
> Achyut
>

> "Achyut" wrote:
>
> > 1. For the past week, if I try to check for updates on the microsoft updates
> > page, it asks me to run "services.msc"..but that doesn't work.
> > 2. My automatic updates continues to show as disabled.
> > 3. Around the same time, something called "anti-virus 2009" kept popping up
> > and didn't budge even when I tried to cross it out.
> > 4. I ran an anti-virus scan with my "freedom" anti virus and it found
> > something called "JS/FakeAV.A" and gave the file name as "FREESCAN[1].HTM".
> > I deleted it. I ran "freedom" anti-spyware and it found around 12 spywares
> > tha I deleted.
> >
> > The automatic or manula updates still don't work.
> >
> > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
> >
> > --
> > Achyut

Engel

Re: AUTOMATIC UPDATE DISABLED
OT

Ciao Vincenzo

Meglio tardi che mai.

Happy New Year 2009
-=-

Engel wrote:

> OT
>
> Ciao Vincenzo
>
> Meglio tardi che mai.
>
> Happy New Year 2009

Happy New Year to you too and yours, Engel.

--
Vincenzo Di Russo