Update for SP3

RJB

Update for SP3
Why does the update for sp3 always show up even after i asked not to be shown
again, i am reluctant to install this update because of all the negative
feedback.
Is there any way i can resolve this issue. Thank you
Shenan Stanley

Re: Update for SP3
RJB wrote:
> Why does the update for sp3 always show up even after i asked not
> to be shown again, i am reluctant to install this update because of
> all the negative feedback.
> Is there any way i can resolve this issue.

I assume you mean the actual Service Pack 3 and not the recent patch that
came out that mentioned SP3...

Your best way of resolving it is to install SP3. If you are going just by
the 'negative' comments in these newsgroups - I liken that to walking into a
hospital and assuming if you leave - your arm will be broken, you will be
shot, you will be hit by a car and you will fall off a 2 story house. This
is a place where people go to get issues resolved. They don't come here
with success stories in most cases.

I have personally *not* had a total failure of SP3 since its release on more
than1000 installs (easy.) That's not to say that I have not had to correct
issues along the way - but I have not had a machine yet where I lost data or
did not get SP3 installed successfully.

With proper preparation - you are unlikely to have problems - and if you
have been performing proper maintenance all along - even if you do - you are
only out a short period of time (restoring from the backup/drive image you
made wisely before diving in...)

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Suggestions:

1) Download the full SP3 installation file and/or burn the ISO download to
CD.
2) Ensure (as well as plausible) you have no spyware/malware by doing a full
scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes.
3) CHKDSK
4) Defragment
5) Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.)
6) Reboot right before you try to install SP3.
7) Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically.)
8) Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
install SP3.

Some (if not all) of that is covered in the above links.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

JS

Re: Update for SP3
Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit
http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/d...displaylang=en

It (the toolkit) basically creates a registry key which blocks the install
of SP3, remove the reg key and you unblock the install.
Read the section titled "Overview" in the above link for more detail.

The toolkit itself does not need/require any installation as it is a stand
alone utility, so no uninstall of the 'Toolkit' is required.

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com