DVD Problem

Tasuun Wanderer

DVD Problem
Can anyone help please. I used a program to "Clean" my registry and it
deleted some entries. Now my CD-ROM drive will not read protected DVD films.
It just keeps reading them and telling me no disc is in the drive. It reads
music CD and unprotected data and Film discs OK. Before I "cleaned" the
registry it read them OK and played them in Power DVD. I reinstalled my
CD-ROM drivers (it is a DVD-RW drive) and all relevant playing software but
to no avail. Also is there any way to repair service pack three without
reinstalling the full windows system.

Thank you

Susan
Dave Horne

Re: DVD Problem
Susan, first, I'm no expert but had a similar problem. I spent 30 minutes
on the phone with Dell support ... (and later realized that using Google I
would have rec'd the very same answer) .

You will have to edit the registry. If you are uncomfortable doing this,
have someone else do it for you.

Here's what I wrote (or copied from Google after I located the same exact
registry location) -

Go to your start bar, click run, type "regedit" and then once it loads find
the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Con trol\\Class\\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Back up this key folder if you wish and then delete the upper and lower
filters (note most of the time the upper filter key will be missing).

Right click and delete upper and lower filter [end]

I had this problem under Vista Home Premium.

Check this link (from MS) out as well ....
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

I hope this does the trick. Dave Horne

"Tasuun Wanderer" <Tasuun Wanderer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A7B1EEAC-5B8F-49F4-B4B3-7C7F2D76473C@microsoft.com...
> Can anyone help please. I used a program to "Clean" my registry and it
> deleted some entries. Now my CD-ROM drive will not read protected DVD
> films.
> It just keeps reading them and telling me no disc is in the drive. It
> reads
> music CD and unprotected data and Film discs OK. Before I "cleaned" the
> registry it read them OK and played them in Power DVD. I reinstalled my
> CD-ROM drivers (it is a DVD-RW drive) and all relevant playing software
> but
> to no avail. Also is there any way to repair service pack three without
> reinstalling the full windows system.
>
> Thank you
>
> Susan

David B.

Re: DVD Problem
Welcome to the lesson learned called "why we don't use registry cleaners"
Run system restore to a point before you ran the cleaner, or restore from
the cleaners backup.
By the way, your question has nothing to do with windows update, a more
appropriate group would be xp.general or hardware.

--

----
Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

"Tasuun Wanderer" <Tasuun Wanderer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A7B1EEAC-5B8F-49F4-B4B3-7C7F2D76473C@microsoft.com...
> Can anyone help please. I used a program to "Clean" my registry and it
> deleted some entries. Now my CD-ROM drive will not read protected DVD
> films.
> It just keeps reading them and telling me no disc is in the drive. It
> reads
> music CD and unprotected data and Film discs OK. Before I "cleaned" the
> registry it read them OK and played them in Power DVD. I reinstalled my
> CD-ROM drivers (it is a DVD-RW drive) and all relevant playing software
> but
> to no avail. Also is there any way to repair service pack three without
> reinstalling the full windows system.
>
> Thank you
>
> Susan

Re: DVD Problem
Use the backups you created/saved to undo the changes the "cleaner" made.

Think your Registry needs "cleaning" or "repairing"? Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/