unable to update

smle9737

unable to update
I keep getting a message that tells me "Windows update cannot continue due to
one or more services not running." I have run the services.msc and checked
all services are running but it still gives me that message trying to update.
Any suggestions??

Re: unable to update
Absent any other information from you, CyrstalBall© suggests...

You may be seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

smle9737 wrote:
> I keep getting a message that tells me "Windows update cannot continue due
> to one or more services not running." I have run the services.msc and
> checked all services are running but it still gives me that message trying
> to update. Any suggestions??

wendy

Re: unable to update
thanks for reply. am not on home computer so will send more info later.
--
wendy

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Absent any other information from you, CyrstalBall© suggests...
>
> You may be seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>
> 3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> log to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> =====================
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> smle9737 wrote:
> > I keep getting a message that tells me "Windows update cannot continue due
> > to one or more services not running." I have run the services.msc and
> > checked all services are running but it still gives me that message trying
> > to update. Any suggestions??

DrJoeJr

RE: unable to update
You probably have one ore more viruses on your machine causing the problem. I
found that I had severa!

Searching for information on how to remove the series of "Vundo",
"Virtumonde" and "Smithfraud-c" trojan viruses from my computer. I tried
Microsoft Onecare.live site and downloaded the software. It located some of
the viruses but did NOT remove them... much to my disappointment! One of the
viruses prevented Automatic Windows Update from operating and it would not
allow the Automatic Updates to be set from the Microsoft Windows XP Security
Center. I searched the Microsoft.com Communities Newsgroups and found that
there have been several hundred people who experienced the same problems
cause by this "Vundo" virus family. I tried many of the solutions proposed by
various contributors... some by Microsoft employees, but none of them worked.
I tried Spybot, Norton 360 and AdWare SE... they did not work either. The
saving grace was that I found buried a post provided by a person named
"ronrieger" on 12/30/2008. He described how he downloaded free software from
www.SUPERAntispye.com, ran it and found the trojans that other programs
failed to find AND better yet, it removed them! Then he went back to WUAUSERV
and was able to set the Automatic Updates entry to "Start" and the problem
was resolved! I give all the credit to "ronrieger". I repeated his suggestion
and it worked! I would suggest that Microsoft inform ALL it's Windows users
that this is a quick and easy solution to the Automatic Windows Update
problem and that it is an excellent software which Microsoft should recommend
to the hundreds or thousands of users experiencing the same problem. It would
save thousands of manhours of work and frustration to your users. Thanks
again to ronrieger and the creators of SuperAntispyware.com. I will indeed
make a voluntary donation to these people. Obviously they have a superior
product!
--
DrJoeJr