RE: SP2 Installation Error Code 0x87FF0004

johonassass

RE: SP2 Installation Error Code 0x87FF0004
i have tried about 5 different suggestions for solving this error code. every
time i try to update (Windows XP Vers 5.1.2600 / 1985-2001) to service pack
2, as suggested my automatic update, the installation FREEZES and becoes
unresponsive at the 'Checking Product Key' stage. i have been throught this
process around 30 times now and i feel there is no solution. can anybody help
me?? j

Re: SP2 Installation Error Code 0x87FF0004
Always begin a new thread about /your/ problems, please.

See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

johonassass wrote:
> i have tried about 5 different suggestions for solving this error code.
> every time i try to update (Windows XP Vers 5.1.2600 / 1985-2001) to
> service pack 2, as suggested my automatic update, the installation FREEZES
> and becoes unresponsive at the 'Checking Product Key' stage. i have been
> throught this process around 30 times now and i feel there is no solution.
> can anybody help me?? j

Magz

RE: SP2 Installation Error Code 0x87FF0004
Me too ... SAME problem exactly! My system is XP Professional. I've spent
SOOO many hours trying to get this sorted, but to no avail. Any 'Boffs' out
there who know what should be done? Have no problems with other updates? Go
round and round in circles on the Microsoft support pages.
--
notaboff!

"johonassass" wrote:

> i have tried about 5 different suggestions for solving this error code. every
> time i try to update (Windows XP Vers 5.1.2600 / 1985-2001) to service pack
> 2, as suggested my automatic update, the installation FREEZES and becoes
> unresponsive at the 'Checking Product Key' stage. i have been throught this
> process around 30 times now and i feel there is no solution. can anybody help
> me?? j

TaurArian

Magz wrote:
:: Me too ... SAME problem exactly! My system is XP Professional. I've
:: spent SOOO many hours trying to get this sorted, but to no avail.
:: Any 'Boffs' out there who know what should be done? Have no problems
:: with other updates? Go round and round in circles on the Microsoft
:: support pages. --
:: notaboff!
::
::
:: "johonassass" wrote:
::
::: i have tried about 5 different suggestions for solving this error
::: code. every time i try to update (Windows XP Vers 5.1.2600 /
::: 1985-2001) to service pack 2, as suggested my automatic update, the
::: installation FREEZES and becoes unresponsive at the 'Checking
::: Product Key' stage. i have been throught this process around 30
::: times now and i feel there is no solution. can anybody help me?? j

SP2 installation hangs at "Checking product key" phase
Posted by another user who got a response from MS Support:-

<quote>

There are 3 steps which we have to do to get the SP2 installed.

Steps are:

1) Please go into the CMD prompt (Start/Run --> cmd.exe )

2) Then type cd /d %windir%\inf and make sure we are in that directory.

3) Then type ren oem*.inf oem*.old, it will go back to the prompt after
giving you some error (Do not worry about it)

4) Then type ren oem*.pnf oem*.old1, it will go back to the prompt after
giving you some error (Do not worry about it)

5) Then goto start - run - type "%windir%\inf" and you will see the files in
the folder.

6) Then find the file by name INFCACHE.1 and take a backup of it to desktop
(by copying it to desktop) and delete the INFCACHE.1 from c:\windows\inf.

7) Close all windows and reboot the computer to safe mode and start the
installation of SP2 and it should go fine.

<quote>

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Magz

Re: SP2 Installation Error Code 0x87FF0004
Thanx a lot. Sounds like gobbledygook to me upon 1st reading but will
certainly give it my best shot and report back re my success (or lack of it)
once done.
--
notaboff!

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Magz wrote:
> :: Me too ... SAME problem exactly! My system is XP Professional. I've
> :: spent SOOO many hours trying to get this sorted, but to no avail.
> :: Any 'Boffs' out there who know what should be done? Have no problems
> :: with other updates? Go round and round in circles on the Microsoft
> :: support pages. --
> :: notaboff!
> ::
> ::
> :: "johonassass" wrote:
> ::
> ::: i have tried about 5 different suggestions for solving this error
> ::: code. every time i try to update (Windows XP Vers 5.1.2600 /
> ::: 1985-2001) to service pack 2, as suggested my automatic update, the
> ::: installation FREEZES and becoes unresponsive at the 'Checking
> ::: Product Key' stage. i have been throught this process around 30
> ::: times now and i feel there is no solution. can anybody help me?? j
>

> SP2 installation hangs at "Checking product key" phase
> Posted by another user who got a response from MS Support:-
>
> <quote>
>
> There are 3 steps which we have to do to get the SP2 installed.
>
> Steps are:
>
> 1) Please go into the CMD prompt (Start/Run --> cmd.exe )
>
> 2) Then type cd /d %windir%\inf and make sure we are in that directory.
>
> 3) Then type ren oem*.inf oem*.old, it will go back to the prompt after
> giving you some error (Do not worry about it)
>
> 4) Then type ren oem*.pnf oem*.old1, it will go back to the prompt after
> giving you some error (Do not worry about it)
>
> 5) Then goto start - run - type "%windir%\inf" and you will see the files in
> the folder.
>
> 6) Then find the file by name INFCACHE.1 and take a backup of it to desktop
> (by copying it to desktop) and delete the INFCACHE.1 from c:\windows\inf.
>
> 7) Close all windows and reboot the computer to safe mode and start the
> installation of SP2 and it should go fine.
>
> <quote>
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> ======================================
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> or guarantees and doesn't give any rights.

Magz

Re: SP2 Installation Error Code 0x87FF0004
Hi. Unfortunately I do not even know how to do these steps as I dont know
what to expect to see each time after I have completed a step. I will require
a LOT more of the inbetween details in order to do this. For eg. after doing
step 1 a black (Bios??) window opens and I type in the next step. What do I
do then? How do I enter what I've typed? Is a new window supposed to open
after each entry or do I just keep on typing all the info for the different
steps in the same 'black' window that appeared after first step opened it?
Also, I'm interested in WHY I have to do this .... what is wrong .... why
CAN'T my computer install the patch as it should be able to do? Pleeeeeze
HELP! Thanks in anticipation!
notaboff!