Can't Load Win/MS Update Pages

Bandit292

Can't Load Win/MS Update Pages
I just cleaned out several virus & keyloggers from my daughter's computer and
can no longer access the Microsoft Update or Windows Update pages. She runs
WinXP. One of the viruses was blocking anti-virus software and disabling the
firewall on her computer, and may have also been redirecting access to Win/MS
Update by pointing to another site. Is there a registry setting I can set to
regain access to the Win/MS Update sites? Other web sites load normally.

Thanks,
Bandit292
Engel

RE: Can't Load Win/MS Update Pages
Hello Bandit292,

Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes and SUPERAntiSpywaяe.

<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
SUPERAntiSpyware Instructions
<http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/04/superantispyware-home-edition-free.html>
-=-

<http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Instructions
<http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2008/03/malwarebytes-anti-malware-105.html>
-=-

Cleaning a Compяomised System
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx>

Good luck
--=-

"Bandit292" wrote:

> I just cleaned out several virus & keyloggers from my daughter's computer and
> can no longer access the Microsoft Update or Windows Update pages. She runs
> WinXP. One of the viruses was blocking anti-virus software and disabling the
> firewall on her computer, and may have also been redirecting access to Win/MS
> Update by pointing to another site. Is there a registry setting I can set to
> regain access to the Win/MS Update sites? Other web sites load normally.
>
> Thanks,
> Bandit292

Re: Can't Load Win/MS Update Pages
You have much more work to do.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Bandit292 wrote:
> I just cleaned out several virus & keyloggers from my daughter's computer
> and can no longer access the Microsoft Update or Windows Update pages. She
> runs WinXP. One of the viruses was blocking anti-virus software and
> disabling the firewall on her computer, and may have also been redirecting
> access to Win/MS Update by pointing to another site. Is there a registry
> setting I can set to regain access to the Win/MS Update sites? Other web
> sites load normally.
>
> Thanks,
> Bandit292

Bandit292

RE: Can't Load Win/MS Update Pages
Engel,

I am unable to get to either web site from my daughter's computer. As with
the MS/Win Update attempts, I get an indication that 207.0.0.1 is attempting
to load followed by an IE page failed to load message. I downloaded the .exe
files from another computer to CD, but when I try to install on my daughter's
computer, I get "an error has occured" message with a send error report
option. I'm not sure how to proceed next.

Thanks

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Bandit292,
>
> Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes and SUPERAntiSpywaяe.
>

> <http://www.superantispyware.com/>
> SUPERAntiSpyware Instructions
> <http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/04/superantispyware-home-edition-free.html>
> -=-
>
> <http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
> Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Instructions
> <http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2008/03/malwarebytes-anti-malware-105.html>
> -=-
>
> Cleaning a Compяomised System
> <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx>
>
> Good luck
> --=-
>

> "Bandit292" wrote:
>
> > I just cleaned out several virus & keyloggers from my daughter's computer and
> > can no longer access the Microsoft Update or Windows Update pages. She runs
> > WinXP. One of the viruses was blocking anti-virus software and disabling the
> > firewall on her computer, and may have also been redirecting access to Win/MS
> > Update by pointing to another site. Is there a registry setting I can set to
> > regain access to the Win/MS Update sites? Other web sites load normally.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bandit292

Bandit292

Re: Can't Load Win/MS Update Pages
PA Bear,

The MSRT is now running a full scan on her computer. I will let you know the
results. Until then, she has Live OneCare installed on her computer and it
appears to be up to date. Wouldn't the MSRT be part of the normal Live
OneCare Virus scan?

I have not yet tried the online scan, but HijackThis will not install (see
other post). Any time I try to install SuperAntiSpyware or HijackThis, I get
an error message with a send error report option. I thought it might do the
same thing with MSRT, but so far so good.

Thanks,

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You have much more work to do.

> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>
> 3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> log to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> =====================
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Bandit292 wrote:
> > I just cleaned out several virus & keyloggers from my daughter's computer
> > and can no longer access the Microsoft Update or Windows Update pages. She
> > runs WinXP. One of the viruses was blocking anti-virus software and
> > disabling the firewall on her computer, and may have also been redirecting
> > access to Win/MS Update by pointing to another site. Is there a registry
> > setting I can set to regain access to the Win/MS Update sites? Other web
> > sites load normally.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bandit292

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Can't Load Win/MS Update Pages
The file associations have been messed up due to the malware[s].
You won't be able to run anything that ends in .exe and, most likely,
..com nor .bat.

For *no-charge* assistance in getting the system back in order strongly
suggest you contact MS:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx

" No charge support

• Call 1-866-PCSafety or 1-866-727-2338

This phone number is for virus and other security-related support. It is
available 24 hours a day for the U.S. and Canada. For phone numbers
outside of the U.S. and Canada, select your region.
http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4 "

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Bandit292 wrote:

> Engel,
>
> I am unable to get to either web site from my daughter's computer. As with
> the MS/Win Update attempts, I get an indication that 207.0.0.1 is attempting
> to load followed by an IE page failed to load message. I downloaded the .exe
> files from another computer to CD, but when I try to install on my daughter's
> computer, I get "an error has occured" message with a send error report
> option. I'm not sure how to proceed next.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Engel" wrote:
>

>>Hello Bandit292,
>>
>>Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes and SUPERAntiSpywaяe.
>>

>><http://www.superantispyware.com/>
>>SUPERAntiSpyware Instructions
>><http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/04/superantispyware-home-edition-free.html>
>>-=-
>>
>><http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
>>Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Instructions
>><http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2008/03/malwarebytes-anti-malware-105.html>
>>-=-
>>
>> Cleaning a Compяomised System
>><http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx>
>>
>>Good luck
>>--=-
>>

>>"Bandit292" wrote:
>>

>>>I just cleaned out several virus & keyloggers from my daughter's computer and
>>>can no longer access the Microsoft Update or Windows Update pages. She runs
>>>WinXP. One of the viruses was blocking anti-virus software and disabling the
>>>firewall on her computer, and may have also been redirecting access to Win/MS
>>>Update by pointing to another site. Is there a registry setting I can set to
>>>regain access to the Win/MS Update sites? Other web sites load normally.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Bandit292

Re: Can't Load Win/MS Update Pages
> ...she has Live OneCare installed on her computer and it
> appears to be up to date.

When was OneCare installed, before this problem started or after?

> ...Wouldn't the MSRT be part of the normal Live
> OneCare Virus scan?

Apples & oranges: MSRT scans for a very limited number of known-hijackers;
OneCare's scans are more robust.

> ...Any time I try to install SuperAntiSpyware or HijackThis, I get
> an error message...

Another symptom of the hijackware infection, I'm afraid. You may have to
use an uninfected machine to download your tools (but not SAS, I'm afraid)
then transfer them (e.g., hijackthis.exe) to the infected machine via, e.g.,
a USB key.

Bandit292 wrote:
> The MSRT is now running a full scan on her computer. I will let you know
> the
> results. Until then, she has Live OneCare installed on her computer and it
> appears to be up to date. Wouldn't the MSRT be part of the normal Live
> OneCare Virus scan?
>
> I have not yet tried the online scan, but HijackThis will not install (see
> other post). Any time I try to install SuperAntiSpyware or HijackThis, I
> get
> an error message with a send error report option. I thought it might do
> the
> same thing with MSRT, but so far so good.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> You have much more work to do.
>>
>> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>>
>> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>
>> 3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your
>> hijackthis
>> log to an appropriate forum.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
>> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
>>
>> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
>> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
>> (in conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
>> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
>> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
>> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> =====================
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:

>> in
>> with
>> security updates.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Bandit292 wrote:
>>> I just cleaned out several virus & keyloggers from my daughter's
>>> computer
>>> and can no longer access the Microsoft Update or Windows Update pages.
>>> She
>>> runs WinXP. One of the viruses was blocking anti-virus software and
>>> disabling the firewall on her computer, and may have also been
>>> redirecting
>>> access to Win/MS Update by pointing to another site. Is there a registry
>>> setting I can set to regain access to the Win/MS Update sites? Other web
>>> sites load normally.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bandit292

Bandit292

Re: Can't Load Win/MS Update Pages
Will do -- thank you so much for the help.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> The file associations have been messed up due to the malware[s].
> You won't be able to run anything that ends in .exe and, most likely,
> ..com nor .bat.
>
> For *no-charge* assistance in getting the system back in order strongly
> suggest you contact MS:
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx
>
> " No charge support
>
> • Call 1-866-PCSafety or 1-866-727-2338
>
> This phone number is for virus and other security-related support. It is
> available 24 hours a day for the U.S. and Canada. For phone numbers
> outside of the U.S. and Canada, select your region.
> http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4 "
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Bandit292 wrote:
>
> > Engel,
> >
> > I am unable to get to either web site from my daughter's computer. As with
> > the MS/Win Update attempts, I get an indication that 207.0.0.1 is attempting
> > to load followed by an IE page failed to load message. I downloaded the .exe
> > files from another computer to CD, but when I try to install on my daughter's
> > computer, I get "an error has occured" message with a send error report
> > option. I'm not sure how to proceed next.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Engel" wrote:
> >

> >>Hello Bandit292,
> >>
> >>Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes and SUPERAntiSpywaяe.
> >>

> >><http://www.superantispyware.com/>
> >>SUPERAntiSpyware Instructions
> >><http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2007/04/superantispyware-home-edition-free.html>
> >>-=-
> >>
> >><http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
> >>Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Instructions
> >><http://securitynewsfromthenet.blogspot.com/2008/03/malwarebytes-anti-malware-105.html>
> >>-=-
> >>
> >> Cleaning a Compяomised System
> >><http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx>
> >>
> >>Good luck
> >>--=-

Bandit292

Re: Can't Load Win/MS Update Pages
>> When was OneCare installed, before this problem started or after?<<

After. School policy prohibits any 3rd party anti-virus or firewall program
except the provided Norton AV Corp edition, which had been fully disabled by
the virus. The Live OneCare scan at installation was clean, but the problems
with security web site access and anti-virus program startup or installation
persisted.

I was able to complete a full MSRT scan which came up clean. I was also able
to run the Onecare HowSafe scan which also came up clean: "no viruses or
spyware found" & "0 ports open" for results. Following these results, I tried
to again install SuperAntiSpyware and HijackThis from a CD, with the same
error results described in the previous post.

>> You may have to use an uninfected machine to download your tools (but not SAS, I'm afraid) then transfer them (e.g., hijackthis.exe) to the infected machine via, e.g., a USB key.<<

I am not sure what you mean here. I have downloaded the .exe files to CD
from another computer and try to run them on the infected machine. The MSRT
file ran fine. HowSafe I could access directly via the web link. Most
security related web sites, however, will not load. Most security related
program installations also fail.

With my results, I am guessing she still has a virus that is fully masked,
or we eliminated the virus but not the protection layer the virus employed.
Is there a registry file I can access to see why some web addresses are
directed to 207.0.0.1 before failing to load, while other no-security related
web sites load fine?

Thanks for all your help ...

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
> >> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
> >> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**
> >>
> >> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> >> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> >> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
> >> =====================
> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >>
> >> Support for Windows Update:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >>
> >> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> >> in
> >> the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> >> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated

Bandit292

Re: Can't Load Win/MS Update Pages
>> The file associations have been messed up due to the malware[s].<<

Before I try to call tomorrow, is there some registry file I can edit
tonight to try and correct the file association problem?

Thanks ...