Continuous "Restarting your computer is required" message

geo

Continuous "Restarting your computer is required" message
At every startup a Windows message appears saying "Restarting your computer
is required". The message further says "The computer must be restarted
before updating can continue. Would you like to restart now?"
If the response is yes, the computer reboots and the same message appears.
If the response is no, the message disappears and the computer functions
normally. Several Windows updates have been processed since this message
first appeared.
I checked Windows update history and removed all updates that occurred
immediately prior to this error starting to happen but this did not help. I
did notice one strange update which was removed and I record it here for your
information - Windows Internet Explorer 7 Dynamic Installer - Cumulative
Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 Dynamic Installer for Windows XP
(KB956390). The reason this was strange was because it came from "Other
Source". All other sources were either "Automatic Updates" or "Microsoft
Update".
Please help me to remove this annoying message.
Thanks in advance for your help.
--
geo from over the hill gang
Kayman

Re: Continuous "Restarting your computer is required" message
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 05:05:01 -0800, geo wrote:

> At every startup a Windows message appears saying "Restarting your computer
> is required". The message further says "The computer must be restarted
> before updating can continue. Would you like to restart now?"
> If the response is yes, the computer reboots and the same message appears.
> If the response is no, the message disappears and the computer functions
> normally. Several Windows updates have been processed since this message
> first appeared.
> I checked Windows update history and removed all updates that occurred
> immediately prior to this error starting to happen but this did not help. I
> did notice one strange update which was removed and I record it here for your
> information - Windows Internet Explorer 7 Dynamic Installer - Cumulative
> Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 Dynamic Installer for Windows XP
> (KB956390). The reason this was strange was because it came from "Other
> Source". All other sources were either "Automatic Updates" or "Microsoft
> Update".
> Please help me to remove this annoying message.
> Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't know what type of machine you got...
Read this, it may be relevant:
Jesper's Blog
Does your AMD-based computer boot after installing XP SP3?
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx

Good luck
geo

Re: Continuous "Restarting your computer is required" message
Thanks but this is not my problem. Fujitsu laptop with Intel chip boots
perfectly well and operates perfectly well except that there is this annoying
message as mentioned in my original letter.
appreciate the response.
geo

--
geo from over the hill gang

"Kayman" wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 05:05:01 -0800, geo wrote:
>
> > At every startup a Windows message appears saying "Restarting your computer
> > is required". The message further says "The computer must be restarted
> > before updating can continue. Would you like to restart now?"
> > If the response is yes, the computer reboots and the same message appears.
> > If the response is no, the message disappears and the computer functions
> > normally. Several Windows updates have been processed since this message
> > first appeared.
> > I checked Windows update history and removed all updates that occurred
> > immediately prior to this error starting to happen but this did not help. I
> > did notice one strange update which was removed and I record it here for your
> > information - Windows Internet Explorer 7 Dynamic Installer - Cumulative
> > Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 Dynamic Installer for Windows XP
> > (KB956390). The reason this was strange was because it came from "Other
> > Source". All other sources were either "Automatic Updates" or "Microsoft
> > Update".
> > Please help me to remove this annoying message.
> > Thanks in advance for your help.

> I don't know what type of machine you got...
> Read this, it may be relevant:
> Jesper's Blog
> Does your AMD-based computer boot after installing XP SP3?
> http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
>
> Good luck

Re: Continuous "Restarting your computer is required" message
QUESTIONS:

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to
this newsgroup.

If you're running WinXP SP3, which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?

ACTIONS:

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Open Control Panel | Automatic Updates and select the "Notify me but
don't automatically download or install them" option (cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525)

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

5. When Automatic Updates next notifies you of available updates, do NOT
approve any downloads yet, but post a reply to this message and tell us what
update(s) are being offered.

COMMENT:

> I did notice one strange update which was removed and I record it here for
> your information - Windows Internet Explorer 7 Dynamic Installer -
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 Dynamic Installer for
> Windows XP (KB956390). The reason this was strange was because it came
> from "Other Source".

KB956390 dates from 14 Oct-08 (and was superseded by KB958215 on 09 Dec-08).
KB956390 may have been installed manually by someone or via the IE setting
Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Browsing | Automatically check for IE
updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

geo wrote:
> At every startup a Windows message appears saying "Restarting your
> computer
> is required". The message further says "The computer must be restarted
> before updating can continue. Would you like to restart now?"
> If the response is yes, the computer reboots and the same message appears.
> If the response is no, the message disappears and the computer functions
> normally. Several Windows updates have been processed since this message
> first appeared.
> I checked Windows update history and removed all updates that occurred
> immediately prior to this error starting to happen but this did not help.
> did notice one strange update which was removed and I record it here for
> your information - Windows Internet Explorer 7 Dynamic Installer -
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 Dynamic Installer for
> Windows XP (KB956390). The reason this was strange was because it came
> from "Other Source". All other sources were either "Automatic Updates" or
> "Microsoft Update".
> Please help me to remove this annoying message.
> Thanks in advance for your help.

geo

Re: Continuous "Restarting your computer is required" message
i am running WinXP SP3 (sorry about not posting this fact). Windows Explorer
7 was installed prior to SP3. will do as stated and will post results.
thanks
geo

--
geo from over the hill gang

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > If the response is yes, the computer reboots and the same message appears.
> > If the response is no, the message disappears and the computer functions
> > normally. Several Windows updates have been processed since this message
> > first appeared.
> > I checked Windows update history and removed all updates that occurred
> > immediately prior to this error starting to happen but this did not help.
> > did notice one strange update which was removed and I record it here for
> > your information - Windows Internet Explorer 7 Dynamic Installer -
> > Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 Dynamic Installer for
> > Windows XP (KB956390). The reason this was strange was because it came
> > from "Other Source". All other sources were either "Automatic Updates" or
> > "Microsoft Update".
> > Please help me to remove this annoying message.

Hikiate

Re: Continuous "Restarting your computer is required" message

I have a Fujitsu and have the same problem--I deleted the contents of
the download folder and will reboot.

--
Hikiate
Hikiate's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/138379.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

jitell

'PA Bear [MS MVP Wrote:
> ;4153812']QUESTIONS:
>
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting
> this newsgroup.
>
> If you're running WinXP SP3, which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?
>
> ACTIONS:
>
> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
>
> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
> Close the window.
>
> 3. Open Control Panel | Automatic Updates and select the "Notify me
> but
> don't automatically download or install them" option (cf.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525)
>
> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
> (Starting the service will take a moment)
>
> 5. When Automatic Updates next notifies you of available updates, do
> NOT
> approve any downloads yet, but post a reply to this message and tell us
> what
> update(s) are being offered.

I have been getting this continuous notification, so I followed your
steps. Immediately after clearing the Downloads folder, the computer
said the following update was available, but gave no specifics, until
after I clicked OK to install, which I then cancelled. I am running
WinXPhome SP3

Installing Update for Windows XP (KB968389)

--
jitell
jitell's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/146874.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1095335.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Dave Doebler

Continuous "Restarting your computer is required" message
It is caused by adobe updater.

1. Start -> Run -> Type msconfig -> OK
2. Select the startup tab.
3. uncheck adobe_updater
4. Restart when prompted

ge wrote:

Continuous "Restarting your computer is required" message
30-Dec-08

[...]

On Tuesday, December 30, 2008 8:05 AM
ge wrote:

[...]

On Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:18 AM
Kayman wrote:

Re: Continuous "Restarting your computer is required" message
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 05:05:01 -0800, geo wrote:

I don't know what type of machine you got...
Read this, it may be relevant:
Jesper's Blog
Does your AMD-based computer boot after installing XP SP3?
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx

Good luck

On Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:28 AM
ge wrote:

Thanks but this is not my problem.
Thanks but this is not my problem. Fujitsu laptop with Intel chip boots
perfectly well and operates perfectly well except that there is this annoying
message as mentioned in my original letter.
appreciate the response.
geo

--
geo from over the hill gang

"Kayman" wrote:

On Tuesday, December 30, 2008 1:43 PM
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

[...]

geo wrote:

On Tuesday, January 06, 2009 5:23 AM
ge wrote:

i am running WinXP SP3 (sorry about not posting this fact).
i am running WinXP SP3 (sorry about not posting this fact). Windows Explorer
7 was installed prior to SP3. will do as stated and will post results.
thanks
geo

--
geo from over the hill gang

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

On Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:02 AM
Ul James wrote:

Restarting your computer is required nuisance
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

On Friday, September 25, 2009 2:27 AM
Hikiate wrote:

I have a Fujitsu and have the same problem--I deleted the contents ofthe
I have a Fujitsu and have the same problem--I deleted the contents of
the download folder and will reboot.

--
Hikiate
Hikiate's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/138379.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1095335.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:21 AM
jitell wrote:

'PA Bear [MS MVP Wrote:I have been getting this continuous notification, so I
'PA Bear [MS MVP Wrote:
I have been getting this continuous notification, so I followed your
steps. Immediately after clearing the Downloads folder, the computer
said the following update was available, but gave no specifics, until
after I clicked OK to install, which I then cancelled. I am running
WinXPhome SP3

Installing Update for Windows XP (KB968389)

--
jitell
jitell's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/146874.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1095335.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Visual Studio.NET 2005 Install Tips and Tricks
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...t-2005-in.aspx
edisonbaggins

Re: Continuous "Restarting your computer is required" message

I am running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP3.

My machine is a Dell Inspirion 1520, built mid last year.

I don't know if IE7 or SP3 was installed first. If someone could tell
me how
to check that I'd be happy to.

I tried Dave's approach and I got a message saying that an access
denied error had occured and that I might need to log in as an admin.
Well, I AM
the admin of this laptop! It automatically put the computer into
selective start mode, causing me to have a selective start message when
the computer rebooted. I went back through Dave's steps, but this time
put the computer BACK into normal start mode before closing the msconfig
window.
After restarting, the restart required message was back... urg.

--
edisonbaggins
edisonbaggins's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/153040.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1095335.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

edisonbaggins

Re: Continuous "Restarting your computer is required" message

I have been asked if I want to download:

Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB973704)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB969947)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - November 2009 (KB890830)