Error 80240016 w/Media Center update

Patty

Error 80240016 w/Media Center update
Can anyone help with this problem, I've tried the following to no avail....
I've already updated to SP1 and the updates up to 10/15/08.

This still didn't fix the problem. Thanks for the input though.

Patty

> Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update Web
> site or from the Microsoft Update Web site: "0x80240016"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957307
>

> --
> Peter

> "Patty" <patty@pattyjean.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Windows Update file for Media Center (KB955519), which doesn't
>>seem to download, or install. As it tries to download it hangs and gives
>>me the error 80240016. The update was published 10/14/08. I haven't been
>>able to get any other updates since that time. It just tells me that the
>>media center update is available every time I boot up and when I try to
>>grab it it stops.
>>
>> I was able to go to event log and check view details and download the
>> file manually. But when running the install it still gives me the same
>> error msg. Unable to install KB955519. So it has downloaded, but still
>> fails to install.
>>
>> Any ideas anyone?

Re: Error 80240016 w/Media Center update
Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually, Patty?

Can you install KB955519 manually using the appropriate Download Center link
in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955519?...

1. Save the download to your desktop, do not Run it.

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon).

3. Physically disconnect from the internet & temporarily disable your
anti-virus application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
and any third-party firewall.

4. Right-click on the saved file (#1) and select "Run as Administrator" to
install.

5. Reboot twice, make sure everything you disabled in #3 above is enabled
again, and reconnect to the internet.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Patty wrote:
> Can anyone help with this problem, I've tried the following to no
> avail....
> I've already updated to SP1 and the updates up to 10/15/08.
>
> This still didn't fix the problem. Thanks for the input though.
>
>> Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update Web
>> site or from the Microsoft Update Web site: "0x80240016"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957307
>>
>>> I have a Windows Update file for Media Center (KB955519), which doesn't
>>> seem to download, or install. As it tries to download it hangs and
>>> gives
>>> me the error 80240016. The update was published 10/14/08. I haven't
>>> been
>>> able to get any other updates since that time. It just tells me that
>>> the
>>> media center update is available every time I boot up and when I try to
>>> grab it it stops.
>>>
>>> I was able to go to event log and check view details and download the
>>> file manually. But when running the install it still gives me the same
>>> error msg. Unable to install KB955519. So it has downloaded, but still
>>> fails to install.
>>>
>>> Any ideas anyone?

Patty

Re: Error 80240016 w/Media Center update
I installed SP1 via Windows Update. I've tried your tips below, but without
success. Windows Update has become a pesky little critter.....

> Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually, Patty?
>
> Can you install KB955519 manually using the appropriate Download Center
> link in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955519?...
>
> 1. Save the download to your desktop, do not Run it.
>
> 2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon).
>
> 3. Physically disconnect from the internet & temporarily disable your
> anti-virus application, any anti-spyware applications (other than
> Defender), and any third-party firewall.
>
> 4. Right-click on the saved file (#1) and select "Run as Administrator" to
> install.
>
> 5. Reboot twice, make sure everything you disabled in #3 above is enabled
> again, and reconnect to the internet.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Patty wrote:
>> Can anyone help with this problem, I've tried the following to no
>> avail....
>> I've already updated to SP1 and the updates up to 10/15/08.
>>
>> This still didn't fix the problem. Thanks for the input though.
>>
>>> Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update
>>> Web
>>> site or from the Microsoft Update Web site: "0x80240016"
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957307

Re: Error 80240016 w/Media Center update
What happened when you attempted to install the update manually, Patty?
Post any error messages you received in their entirety.

in the background when you installed Vista SP1?

Patty wrote:
> I installed SP1 via Windows Update. I've tried your tips below, but
> without
> success. Windows Update has become a pesky little critter.....
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually, Patty?
>>
>> Can you install KB955519 manually using the appropriate Download Center
>> link in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955519?...
>>
>> 1. Save the download to your desktop, do not Run it.
>>
>> 2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon).
>>
>> 3. Physically disconnect from the internet & temporarily disable your
>> anti-virus application, any anti-spyware applications (other than
>> Defender), and any third-party firewall.
>>
>> 4. Right-click on the saved file (#1) and select "Run as Administrator"
>> install.
>>
>> 5. Reboot twice, make sure everything you disabled in #3 above is enabled
>> again, and reconnect to the internet.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Patty wrote:
>>> Can anyone help with this problem, I've tried the following to no
>>> avail....
>>> I've already updated to SP1 and the updates up to 10/15/08.
>>>
>>> This still didn't fix the problem. Thanks for the input though.

stefan33uk

Re: Error 80240016 w/Media Center update

I have the exact same problem and error code. I tried many things,
including closing and restarting windows update and installing this
update manually which both failed.

The system file check doesn't seem to be working for me, also. I run a
command prompt as administrator and type in "sfc /scannow" but get that
"Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation".
It doesn't work in safe mode either. I did a disk check at startup and
didn't work after that, either. Windows Vista came preinstalled on this
computer so I have no way of doing an upgrade reinstall.

--
stefan33uk
stefan33uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/stefan33uk.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Patty

Re: Error 80240016 w/Media Center update
I get the same error when running SFC /scannow

Patty

"stefan33uk" <stefan33uk.3l9e3c@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I have the exact same problem and error code. I tried many things,
> including closing and restarting windows update and installing this
> update manually which both failed.
>
> The system file check doesn't seem to be working for me, also. I run a
> command prompt as administrator and type in "sfc /scannow" but get that
> "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation".
> It doesn't work in safe mode either. I did a disk check at startup and
> didn't work after that, either. Windows Vista came preinstalled on this
> computer so I have no way of doing an upgrade reinstall.
>

> --
> stefan33uk
> stefan33uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/stefan33uk.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1095138.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Patty

Re: Error 80240016 w/Media Center update
When I manually install the Media Center update it gives me the following
messages:

Initializing installation... done!
Installing Update for Windows (KB955519) (update 1 of 1)...

The following updates were not installed
Update for Windows (KB955519)

I use McAfee anti-virus, Super antispyware free edition, Registry Mechanic.
I exited out of everything in the SysTray. Then went into Task Manager and
closed out additional processes which weren't needed. I've tried all the
steps I know of to a "T", multiple times, but still no luck. And I did turn
off the Firewall too.

Patty

> What happened when you attempted to install the update manually, Patty?
> Post any error messages you received in their entirety.

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed Vista SP1?
>
> Patty wrote:
>> I installed SP1 via Windows Update. I've tried your tips below, but
>> without
>> success. Windows Update has become a pesky little critter.....
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually, Patty?
>>>
>>> Can you install KB955519 manually using the appropriate Download Center
>>> link in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955519?...
>>>
>>> 1. Save the download to your desktop, do not Run it.
>>>
>>> 2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon).
>>>
>>> 3. Physically disconnect from the internet & temporarily disable your
>>> anti-virus application, any anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender), and any third-party firewall.
>>>
>>> 4. Right-click on the saved file (#1) and select "Run as Administrator"
>>> install.
>>>
>>> 5. Reboot twice, make sure everything you disabled in #3 above is
>>> enabled
>>> again, and reconnect to the internet.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

stefan33uk

Re: Error 80240016 w/Media Center update

I also use McAfee :/

Someone heeeeeeelllp us!

--
stefan33uk
stefan33uk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/stefan33uk.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1095138.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Re: Error 80240016 w/Media Center update
Please begin a new thread about /your/ problem, Stefan. Thanks.

stefan33uk wrote:
> I have the exact same problem and error code. I tried many things,
> including closing and restarting windows update and installing this
> update manually which both failed.
>
> The system file check doesn't seem to be working for me, also. I run a
> command prompt as administrator and type in "sfc /scannow" but get that
> "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation".
> It doesn't work in safe mode either. I did a disk check at startup and
> didn't work after that, either. Windows Vista came preinstalled on this
> computer so I have no way of doing an upgrade reinstall.

Re: Error 80240016 w/Media Center update
> I use McAfee anti-virus, S*per antispyware free edition, Registry
> Mechanic.

What McAfee application is installed, Patty (e.g., McAfee Security Center;
McAfee VirusScan Plus), and is your subscription current (if it's not a
freebie)? Was another McAfee application ever installed on this machine
(e.g., a free-trial that came preinstalled when you bought the computer)?

I would uninstall S*perAntispyware IIWY. Simply disabling it does NOT
disable its "system protections."

Your use of Registry Mechanic may have caused your current predicament: Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.
--
~PA Bear