Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

What is ZAPAC or ZAPDD??

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2008
Troubled again
 

Posts: n/a
What is ZAPAC or ZAPDD??
I did a complete new install on a zeroed harddrive. I was installing a New XP
Home Edition (SP 2) and was updating the computer on Windows Update. When I
am done updating, I like to see what files, etc. are in the temp folder. In
the temp folder was a folder named 'ZAPAC'. The folder was empty, but I am
wondering what ZAPAC is, where it came from, etc.... The ONLY website I was
at was Windows Update.
Can somebody help????

Thanks!

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: What is ZAPAC or ZAPDD??
Are you referring to C:\Windows\TEMP <=this folder, C:\Documents and
Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp <=this folder, or another "Temp"
folder?

Why did you do a "complete new install" of Windows?

Did you reinstall Windows using the CD that came with your computer and did
your computer have a free-trial version of ZoneAlarm (Firewall or Internet
Security Suite) preinstalled when you purchased it?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed now and is your
subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
What third-party firewall (if any)?

Is the machine on a network with other computers and/or does it connect via
a router?

After the "complete new install" of Windows, did you insert a
previously-used USB key/Flash drive into the machine?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Troubled again wrote:
> I did a complete new install on a zeroed harddrive. I was installing a New
> XP Home Edition (SP 2) and was updating the computer on Windows Update.
> When I am done updating, I like to see what files, etc. are in the temp
> folder. In the temp folder was a folder named 'ZAPAC'. The folder was
> empty, but I am wondering what ZAPAC is, where it came from, etc.... The
> ONLY website I was at was Windows Update.
> Can somebody help????
>
> Thanks!


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2008
Troubled again
 

Posts: n/a
Re: What is ZAPAC or ZAPDD??
I am refering to the C:\Documents and Settings\..............\Temp folder.

New install -- bigger harddrive.

The CD was an OEM cd that I had purchased from a retailer. I had this
installed on the computer before and I did NOT have this ZAPAC folder show
up. I have had the CD for a couple years.

I did not have ANY kind of virus program installed yet. Is ZAPAC a virus or
spyware or ??

I connected to the internet thru a router, and this was the only computer on
the internet. I have the router filter set on high.

The only firewall I used was windows.

The only thing I did was install the windows updates. I did NOT use any kind
of USB drive(s).


--
ta


"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you referring to C:\Windows\TEMP <=this folder, C:\Documents and
> Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp <=this folder, or another "Temp"
> folder?
>
> Why did you do a "complete new install" of Windows?
>
> Did you reinstall Windows using the CD that came with your computer and did
> your computer have a free-trial version of ZoneAlarm (Firewall or Internet
> Security Suite) preinstalled when you purchased it?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed now and is your
> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Is the machine on a network with other computers and/or does it connect via
> a router?
>
> After the "complete new install" of Windows, did you insert a
> previously-used USB key/Flash drive into the machine?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Troubled again wrote:
> > I did a complete new install on a zeroed harddrive. I was installing a New
> > XP Home Edition (SP 2) and was updating the computer on Windows Update.
> > When I am done updating, I like to see what files, etc. are in the temp
> > folder. In the temp folder was a folder named 'ZAPAC'. The folder was
> > empty, but I am wondering what ZAPAC is, where it came from, etc.... The
> > ONLY website I was at was Windows Update.
> > Can somebody help????
> >
> > Thanks!

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: What is ZAPAC or ZAPDD??
AFAIK nothing Windows Update-related creates any folders in
%system%\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp <=this
folder.

After rebooting, you can manually delete anything in that folder (ditto for
C:\Windows\TEMP <=this folder); however, Windows will not allow you to
delete anything needed during the current boot.

Troubled again wrote:
> I am refering to the C:\Documents and Settings\..............\Temp folder.
>
> New install -- bigger harddrive.
>
> The CD was an OEM cd that I had purchased from a retailer. I had this
> installed on the computer before and I did NOT have this ZAPAC folder show
> up. I have had the CD for a couple years.
>
> I did not have ANY kind of virus program installed yet. Is ZAPAC a virus
> or
> spyware or ??
>
> I connected to the internet thru a router, and this was the only computer
> on
> the internet. I have the router filter set on high.
>
> The only firewall I used was windows.
>
> The only thing I did was install the windows updates. I did NOT use any
> kind
> of USB drive(s).
>
>> Are you referring to C:\Windows\TEMP <=this folder, C:\Documents and
>> Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp <=this folder, or another "Temp"
>> folder?
>>
>> Why did you do a "complete new install" of Windows?
>>
>> Did you reinstall Windows using the CD that came with your computer and
>> did
>> your computer have a free-trial version of ZoneAlarm (Firewall or
>> Internet
>> Security Suite) preinstalled when you purchased it?
>>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed now and is
>> your
>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>
>> Is the machine on a network with other computers and/or does it connect
>> via
>> a router?
>>
>> After the "complete new install" of Windows, did you insert a
>> previously-used USB key/Flash drive into the machine?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Troubled again wrote:
>>> I did a complete new install on a zeroed harddrive. I was installing a
>>> New
>>> XP Home Edition (SP 2) and was updating the computer on Windows Update.
>>> When I am done updating, I like to see what files, etc. are in the temp
>>> folder. In the temp folder was a folder named 'ZAPAC'. The folder was
>>> empty, but I am wondering what ZAPAC is, where it came from, etc....
>>> The
>>> ONLY website I was at was Windows Update.
>>> Can somebody help????
>>>
>>> Thanks!


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:20.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120