Cannot Update Windows! [Error number: 0x80070422]

Foreseer

Cannot Update Windows! [Error number: 0x80070422]
Going to Microsoft Update Link here:
http://update.microsoft.com/microsof....aspx?ln=en-us
The following Displays:

The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
not running:

Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more
quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of the
following resources.

For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:
Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

Following All the listed steps: I cannot get Automatic Updates to switch!!!
Everytime I go into service.msc and change to automaic it goes back to
Disabled.

How can I fix this!

TaurArian

Re: Cannot Update Windows! [Error number: 0x80070422]
Foreseer wrote:
:: Going to Microsoft Update Link here:
::
http://update.microsoft.com/microsof....aspx?ln=en-us
:: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
:: The following Displays:
::
[...]
:: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
::
:: Following All the listed steps: I cannot get Automatic Updates to
:: switch!!! Everytime I go into service.msc and change to automaic it
:: goes back to Disabled.
::
:: How can I fix this!

Recently "Robert Aldwinckle" pointed out to me that "0x422 = 1058"

Due to the many problems users have which are related with the 1058 error it
may be worth checking for viruses/malware -

System may be infected with malware "Vundo"
http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo

If on the other hand, it's a true "0x80070422" and your system is clean -
FYI
The necessary service "Automatic Updates" (WUAUSERV) is not started or is
unavailable. Error 0x80070422
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...=en&IsMu=False

Error message when you try to install updates by using the Windows Update
Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site: "0x80070422"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958043

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

tflabo

"Foreseer" wrote:

> Going to Microsoft Update Link here:
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsof....aspx?ln=en-us
> The following Displays:
>
> The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
> not running:
>
> Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
> high-priority updates for your computer)
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more
> quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
> Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
> troubleshooting, if needed)
> To make sure these services are running:
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
> Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
> Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> Properties.
> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of the
> following resources.
>
> For self-help options:
>
> Frequently Asked Questions
> Find Solutions
> Windows Update Newsgroup
> For assisted support options:
> Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

> Following All the listed steps: I cannot get Automatic Updates to switch!!!
> Everytime I go into service.msc and change to automaic it goes back to
> Disabled.
>
> How can I fix this!

I am also having this problem and Automatic Updates will not stay enabled.
Just before this occurred My Windows Defender detected some malicious
software which I had deleted. So I'm wondering if perhaps some virus is
causing this as well. I also ran Norton AntiVirus several times and deleted
cookies and Temporary Internet files to no avail. Rebooting is not helping
either. I've sent a message to Miscrosoft so waiting to see why Automatic
Updates keeps defaulting to Disabled

Re: Cannot Update Windows! [Error number: 0x80070422]
Chances are that you're seeing the affects of a hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Foreseer wrote:
> Going to Microsoft Update Link here:
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsof....aspx?ln=en-us
> The following Displays:
>
> The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
> not running:
>
> Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
> high-priority updates for your computer)
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download
> more
> quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
> Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
> troubleshooting, if needed)
> To make sure these services are running:
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then
> click
> Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent
> Transfer
> Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> Properties.
> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of the
> following resources.
>
> For self-help options:
>
> Frequently Asked Questions
> Find Solutions
> Windows Update Newsgroup
> For assisted support options:
> Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

> Following All the listed steps: I cannot get Automatic Updates to
> switch!!!
> Everytime I go into service.msc and change to automaic it goes back to
> Disabled.
>
> How can I fix this!

ronrieger

RE: Cannot Update Windows! [Error number: 0x80070422]
Foreseer,

I'm having the exact same problem with automatic updates. I have also tried
everything you have and have gotten the same results as you have. I just
discovered this problem today when I found out my automatic updates were no
longer working. If you find a solution please let me know.

Thanks,
ronrieger

"Foreseer" wrote:

> Going to Microsoft Update Link here:
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsof....aspx?ln=en-us
> The following Displays:
>
> The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
> not running:
>
> Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
> high-priority updates for your computer)
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more
> quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
> Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
> troubleshooting, if needed)
> To make sure these services are running:
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
> Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
> Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> Properties.
> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of the
> following resources.
>
> For self-help options:
>
> Frequently Asked Questions
> Find Solutions
> Windows Update Newsgroup
> For assisted support options:
> Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

> Following All the listed steps: I cannot get Automatic Updates to switch!!!
> Everytime I go into service.msc and change to automaic it goes back to
> Disabled.
>
> How can I fix this!

DVD Fuel

RE: Cannot Update Windows! [Error number: 0x80070422]
I was having this same problem. Here's what worked for me. You need to
delete a virus .dll file that's in your system folder. Restart your computer
in safe mode (F8 at startup). Go to:

windows/system32/pmnlkkay.dll

The file is protected so I wasn't able to delete it using my virus software
or manually dragging to the recycling bin. What you have to do is rename the
file (delete or virus or whatever) and drag it to your desktop. Make sure
that you are moving the file and not just copying it. Once it's out of your
system folder restart and follow the instructions for activating automatic
updates.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
> Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
> Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> Properties.
> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.

Hope this helps!

"Foreseer" wrote:

> Going to Microsoft Update Link here:
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsof....aspx?ln=en-us
> The following Displays:
>
> The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
> not running:
>
> Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
> high-priority updates for your computer)
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more
> quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
> Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
> troubleshooting, if needed)
> To make sure these services are running:
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
> Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
> Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> Properties.
> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of the
> following resources.
>
> For self-help options:
>
> Frequently Asked Questions
> Find Solutions
> Windows Update Newsgroup
> For assisted support options:
> Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

> Following All the listed steps: I cannot get Automatic Updates to switch!!!
> Everytime I go into service.msc and change to automaic it goes back to
> Disabled.
>
> How can I fix this!

ronrieger

RE: Cannot Update Windows! [Error number: 0x80070422]
Foreseer and others,

I was able to finally get my automatic updates working again. Your computer
is probably infected with the "Vundo" trojan or one similiar. I installed a
free download from www.superantispyware.com, ran it, and it found the trojan
that other free programs I tried did not find. The "Vundo" trojan was
removed for free. Then I went back to WUAUSERV and was able to set the
automatic updates entry to start and the problem was resolved.

I'll bet it will work for you. I think this is a fairly new trojan that
just hit and many malware softwares are not detecting it yet.

Good luck,
ronrieger

"Foreseer" wrote:

> Going to Microsoft Update Link here:
> http://update.microsoft.com/microsof....aspx?ln=en-us
> The following Displays:
>
> The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
> not running:
>
> Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
> high-priority updates for your computer)
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more
> quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
> Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
> troubleshooting, if needed)
> To make sure these services are running:
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
> Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
> Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> Properties.
> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of the
> following resources.
>
> For self-help options:
>
> Frequently Asked Questions
> Find Solutions
> Windows Update Newsgroup
> For assisted support options:
> Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

> Following All the listed steps: I cannot get Automatic Updates to switch!!!
> Everytime I go into service.msc and change to automaic it goes back to
> Disabled.
>
> How can I fix this!

rdejesuspa

ronrieger;4153437 Wrote:
> [...]

> > Properties.
> > 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> > 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status

> is
> > Stopped click on the Start Button.
> > If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of

> the
> > following resources.
> >
> > For self-help options:
> >
> > Frequently Asked Questions
> > Find Solutions
> > Windows Update Newsgroup
> > For assisted support options:
> > Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

> > Following All the listed steps: I cannot get Automatic Updates to

> switch!!!
> > Everytime I go into service.msc and change to automaic it goes back

RonRieger,

Grats on getting rid of that virus. I used Windows Defender (WD) and
tracked down the the .dlls that were still on my computer and not
deleting. WD shows you where in your registry the files are and what
they start. WD is good at deleting the used files, but not the start up
executable files. So, when you use WD, check your WD History and check
to see what lies in your registry, etc. Then delete away... if you have
never done any registry work then the websites catered to doing the same
thing should work. I'm old school, so I like to do it myself. LOL.

--
rdejesuspa
rdejesuspa's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/90747.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

maqbs

Re: Cannot Update Windows! [Error number: 0x80070422]

I also had the same problem, it was a spyware which was playing like
this, we formatted the system 3 times becuase it was a fresh
installation but no use again and again the same problem,
Then I installed Super Anti Spyware software Free Edition and it found
and cleaned the spyware after that everything was OK.

regards.

--
maqbs
maqbs's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/146997.htm