Re: Repair or reinstall clean problem

db ´¯`·.. >

Re: Repair or reinstall clean problem
I wouldn't reformat
and reinstall again.

instead post your
question here to
ascertain what you
need to do next:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ang =en&cr=US

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

"chichuck" <chichuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:17190F4D-0298-47D0-A80E-1F6CFC52AF0F@microsoft.com...
> My xp machine was in the middle of an upgrade (I don't know what it
> was
> updating) when my 8 year old turned it off. I tried to reboot &
> couldin't.
> So I got out the original disks from the computer vendor and tried a
> repair.
> After 2 tries I succeeded. I got a verision with Service Pack 1.
> When I
> boot up, it prompts me to update to Service Pack 2. When I try to do
> this,
> it takes me to a screen that has Service pack 3 updates. I read there
> that I
> must have SP 1a or SP2 installed to make this update.
>
> I went and tried to download the update anyway, and was taken to a
> site
> where my computer was checked for needed updates. That site tries to
> make
> three updates (sorry, I don't know what the updates are) and fails. I
> can't
> figure out how to find SP2.
>
> I want to format the c: drive and start again. I expect that I will
> again
> get windows XP with SP1. From there, will I be able to successfully
> update
> enough so I can then updat to Service Pack 3? Or do I need to somehow
> find
> SP2 and update to that first?
>
> (This is a second computer, so its not an urgent problem/solution.
> But as
> it stands, my antivirus software is also not working correctly and it
> cannot
> update either. I think this problem is a result of something in the
> out-of-date windows xp I now have. )
>
> I hope someone out there can help me. Thanks in advance for any
> advice you
> can offer.
>
> chichuck

TaurArian

Re: Repair or reinstall clean problem
Windows XP Service Pack 2 - download (for single PCs also)

Install SP2 first, then go for SP3 via WU (that way you'll know you're ready for SP3).

You may wish to consider slipstreaming at least SP2 with your original WinXP disk

Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers (Single installations for PCs can use the same file)

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or guarantees and doesn't give any rights.