Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

updates won't install-trying to run a recommended string. Need help

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2008
anna
 

Posts: n/a
updates won't install-trying to run a recommended string. Need help
I started this Windows Update adventure becasuse Update KB936181 will not
install. [running Vista Home Premium SP2 on new computer]

I found where I am supposed to install KB941833. But when I try to install
it, I get the error message "Error Opening Log file. Verify that the
specified log file location exists and is writable."

So I followed the help links on the KB941833 page to this page
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278674 I am trying to run a string but
don't understand what I need to put in the string to tell it where the .ocx
file is located.

This is the string. What do I put in this part <pathofocx>
The string is click Start, click Run, and then type regsvr32
<pathofocx>\xmlVersion.ocx (where <pathofocx> is the path to the .ocx file).

I have tried putting in c: but obviously that is not what the run code it
looking for.

Please don't delete this question. If this is not the right group to post
to, I need to know where to post it.

--
@nna

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: updates won't install-trying to run a recommended string. Need help
> I started this Windows Update adventure becasuse Update KB936181 will not
> install. [running Vista Home Premium SP2 on new computer]


Uninstall Vista SP2 *Beta* via Control Panel | Security | Windows Update |
View installed updates, reboot twice, then run Windows Update manually and
install any Important updates offered (i.e., KB936181). If a Root
Certificates update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it
to take full advantage of IE7's enhanced security.

If still no joy:

1. See the "Known issues" & "More information" sections of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181; or...

2. Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527

For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB936181).

Support for Windows Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport

For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available through
your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

anna wrote:
> I started this Windows Update adventure becasuse Update KB936181 will not
> install. [running Vista Home Premium SP2 on new computer]
>
> I found where I am supposed to install KB941833. But when I try to
> install
> it, I get the error message "Error Opening Log file. Verify that the
> specified log file location exists and is writable."
>
> So I followed the help links on the KB941833 page to this page
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278674 I am trying to run a string but
> don't understand what I need to put in the string to tell it where the
> .ocx
> file is located.
>
> This is the string. What do I put in this part <pathofocx>
> The string is click Start, click Run, and then type regsvr32
> <pathofocx>\xmlVersion.ocx (where <pathofocx> is the path to the .ocx
> file).
>
> I have tried putting in c: but obviously that is not what the run code it
> looking for.
>
> Please don't delete this question. If this is not the right group to post
> to, I need to know where to post it.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2008
anna
 

Posts: n/a
Re: updates won't install-trying to run a recommended string. Need help
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23do$atWaJHA.4068@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Uninstall Vista SP2 *Beta* via Control Panel | Security | Windows Update |
> View installed updates, reboot twice, then run Windows Update manually and
> install any Important updates offered (i.e., KB936181). If a Root
> Certificates update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it
> to take full advantage of IE7's enhanced security.
>


I made a mistake, I have SP1 on my Vista computer. Got it confused with my
XP machine which has SP2.

I will let you know if I find anything that will correct the continuious
inability to install KB936181. Maybe I will need to call MS.



@nna

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: updates won't install-trying to run a recommended string. Need help
Thanks for your feedback, Anna. Good luck.

anna wrote:
> I made a mistake, I have SP1 on my Vista computer. Got it confused with
> my
> XP machine which has SP2.
>
> I will let you know if I find anything that will correct the continuious
> inability to install KB936181. Maybe I will need to call MS.

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> I started this Windows Update adventure becasuse Update KB936181 will not
>> install. [running Vista Home Premium SP2 on new computer]

>
> Uninstall Vista SP2 *Beta* via Control Panel | Security | Windows Update |
> View installed updates, reboot twice, then run Windows Update manually and
> install any Important updates offered (i.e., KB936181). If a Root
> Certificates update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it
> to take full advantage of IE7's enhanced security.
>
> If still no joy:
>
> 1. See the "Known issues" & "More information" sections of
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181; or...
>
> 2. Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
>
> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> in
> the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB936181).
>
> Support for Windows Update:
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
>
> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>
> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> through
> your usual support contacts.
>
> anna wrote:
>> I started this Windows Update adventure becasuse Update KB936181 will not
>> install. [running Vista Home Premium SP2 on new computer]
>>
>> I found where I am supposed to install KB941833. But when I try to
>> install
>> it, I get the error message "Error Opening Log file. Verify that the
>> specified log file location exists and is writable."
>>
>> So I followed the help links on the KB941833 page to this page
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278674 I am trying to run a string but
>> don't understand what I need to put in the string to tell it where the
>> .ocx
>> file is located.
>>
>> This is the string. What do I put in this part <pathofocx>
>> The string is click Start, click Run, and then type regsvr32
>> <pathofocx>\xmlVersion.ocx (where <pathofocx> is the path to the .ocx
>> file).
>>
>> I have tried putting in c: but obviously that is not what the run code it
>> looking for.
>>
>> Please don't delete this question. If this is not the right group to
>> post
>> to, I need to know where to post it.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
String PRODUCT_NAME was not found in string table idolisa Introduce Yourself 0 07-05-2008 17:39
Can't install the latest recommended Vista updates John1951 Windows Vista General 0 05-07-2008 14:27
SFC fails after recommended updates Mads Rangholm Larsen microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 04-07-2008 14:34
Article ID: 935977 A string appears as a question mark if an application uses the ReadEventLogA function to read the string from the event log in Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
String PRODUCT_NAME was not found in string table Extracampine microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 03-01-2007 12:52




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:30.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120