Going around in corcles with Windows Update

Charles Lavin

Going around in corcles with Windows Update
Hi --

I have a Windows XP Pro SP3 computer that cannot complete a trip to Windows
Update.

I open Windows Update and click on the Custom button. WU stops abruptly at a
page with the error "Files required to use Windows Update are no longer
registered or installed on this computer."

If I select the default option of the two given ("Register or reinstall the
files for me now") and click Continue, WU supposedly downloads and registers
the missing DLLs (I get a "Registering:" with a percentage count that goes
to 100%) and takes me back to the Welcome to Windows Update page.

When I click on the Custom button, I wind up back at the page with the
"Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed
on this computer" error.

This time, I select the second option ("Let me read about more steps that
might be required to solve the problem"). I'm taken to a search page with
two links referencing a 0x800A01AD error. (Note that this error is mentioned
only on this search page; the page I came from shows no hex error code at
all.)

The first link has instructions to reregister a mess of DLLs -- MSXML3.DLL
and the 7 WU DLLs. I reregister them all without a hitch.

When I go back to Windows Update and click on Custom, I wind up back at that
"Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed
on this computer" error.

The second link on the "Let me read more about ..." page details steps to
ensure that the Windows Update registry entries have the proper permissions.
I checked; the permissions are correct.

But I can't run Windows Update. I repeatedly wind up at that "Files required
to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on this
computer" page.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,
CL

Re: Going around in corcles with Windows Update
One assumes you've tried the recommendations here:

Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one?

Did you just reinstall WinXP and install SP3 manually?

Is Automatic Updates enabled (cf. ttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525)?

What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a Norton or McAfee application ever
been installed?

If you reboot into Safe Mode with Networking & then visit
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, does the behavior persist? [CAREFUL!!
Only remain in Safe Mode w/Networking long enough to check this behavior!]

See this post by my colleague TaurArian from earlier this month:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ff177602a13fca

When all else fails...

security updates.

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Charles Lavin wrote:
> I have a Windows XP Pro SP3 computer that cannot complete a trip to
> Windows
> Update.
>
> I open Windows Update and click on the Custom button. WU stops abruptly at
> page with the error "Files required to use Windows Update are no longer
> registered or installed on this computer."
>
> If I select the default option of the two given ("Register or reinstall
> the
> files for me now") and click Continue, WU supposedly downloads and
> registers
> the missing DLLs (I get a "Registering:" with a percentage count that goes
> to 100%) and takes me back to the Welcome to Windows Update page.
>
> When I click on the Custom button, I wind up back at the page with the
> "Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or
> installed
> on this computer" error.
>
> This time, I select the second option ("Let me read about more steps that
> might be required to solve the problem"). I'm taken to a search page with
> two links referencing a 0x800A01AD error. (Note that this error is
> mentioned
> only on this search page; the page I came from shows no hex error code at
> all.)
>
> The first link has instructions to reregister a mess of DLLs -- MSXML3.DLL
> and the 7 WU DLLs. I reregister them all without a hitch.
>
> When I go back to Windows Update and click on Custom, I wind up back at
> that
> "Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or
> installed
> on this computer" error.
>
> The second link on the "Let me read more about ..." page details steps to
> ensure that the Windows Update registry entries have the proper
> permissions.
> I checked; the permissions are correct.
>
> But I can't run Windows Update. I repeatedly wind up at that "Files
> required
> to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on this
> computer" page.
>
> How do I fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> CL

Charles Lavin

> One assumes you've tried the recommendations here:

This PC has MSXML SP7 installed (and verified).

> Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one?

I don't know exactly how sudden it is, since this PC has Automatic Updates
enabled and is supposedly keeping up with them. I went to WU to check on a
driver update, and to see what else there was to apply. AFAIK, this PC
hasn't visited Windows Update in at least a month, if not longer.

> Did you just reinstall WinXP and install SP3 manually?

An SFC fix and a reapplication of SP3 were performed on this PC several
weeks ago to correct a problem of a user poking atround where he shouldn't
have been ...

> Is Automatic Updates enabled (cf. ttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525)?

Yes.

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a Norton or McAfee
> application ever been installed?

Symantec Endpoint Protection v11 under control of the SBS server on this
domain. Recently upgraded from Symantec AV Corp v10.

> If you reboot into Safe Mode with Networking & then visit
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, does the behavior persist? [CAREFUL!!
> Only remain in Safe Mode w/Networking long enough to check this behavior!]
>
> See this post by my colleague TaurArian from earlier this month:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ff177602a13fca

I followed every step listed there and in the several KB articles that
thread referenced. I even reinstalled the Windows Update agent, which led to
a surreal situation:

1) I installed the (supposedly latest) Windows Update Agent from the Windows
Download site.

2) I rebooted the PC.

3) When I hit Windows Update, I was informed that the Windows Update
software needed to be updated.

4) The PC downloaded and installed the newest WU code.

5) I wound up at the page with the "Files required to use Windows Update are
no longer registered or installed
on this computer" error.

WTF ...?

I'm getting dizzy from all these circles I'm going in ...

???
CL

> When all else fails...

> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> security updates.
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> through your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>
> Charles Lavin wrote:
>> I have a Windows XP Pro SP3 computer that cannot complete a trip to
>> Windows
>> Update.
>>
>> I open Windows Update and click on the Custom button. WU stops abruptly
>> at a
>> page with the error "Files required to use Windows Update are no longer
>> registered or installed on this computer."
>>
>> If I select the default option of the two given ("Register or reinstall
>> the
>> files for me now") and click Continue, WU supposedly downloads and
>> registers
>> the missing DLLs (I get a "Registering:" with a percentage count that
>> goes
>> to 100%) and takes me back to the Welcome to Windows Update page.
>>
>> When I click on the Custom button, I wind up back at the page with the
>> "Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or
>> installed
>> on this computer" error.
>>
>> This time, I select the second option ("Let me read about more steps that
>> might be required to solve the problem"). I'm taken to a search page with
>> two links referencing a 0x800A01AD error. (Note that this error is
>> mentioned
>> only on this search page; the page I came from shows no hex error code at
>> all.)
>>
>> The first link has instructions to reregister a mess of DLLs --
>> MSXML3.DLL
>> and the 7 WU DLLs. I reregister them all without a hitch.
>>
>> When I go back to Windows Update and click on Custom, I wind up back at
>> that
>> "Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or
>> installed
>> on this computer" error.
>>
>> The second link on the "Let me read more about ..." page details steps to
>> ensure that the Windows Update registry entries have the proper
>> permissions.
>> I checked; the permissions are correct.
>>
>> But I can't run Windows Update. I repeatedly wind up at that "Files
>> required
>> to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on this
>> computer" page.
>>
>> How do I fix this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> CL

Re: Going around in corcles with Windows Update
Repost:

--
~PA Bear

Charles Lavin wrote:
> [...]

>>> at
>>> all.)
>>>
>>> The first link has instructions to reregister a mess of DLLs --
>>> MSXML3.DLL
>>> and the 7 WU DLLs. I reregister them all without a hitch.
>>>
>>> When I go back to Windows Update and click on Custom, I wind up back at
>>> that
>>> "Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or
>>> installed
>>> on this computer" error.
>>>
>>> The second link on the "Let me read more about ..." page details steps
>>> ensure that the Windows Update registry entries have the proper
>>> permissions.
>>> I checked; the permissions are correct.
>>>
>>> But I can't run Windows Update. I repeatedly wind up at that "Files
>>> required
>>> to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on this

>>> CL

TaurArian

Re: Going around in corcles with Windows Update
Hi Charles, I note nothing appears to be helping you at this stage -

Clear out all the TIF etc and then perhaps try this (just in case there's a
bad cookie or something there) can't hurt:

Then see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326253
Method 5: Register Windows Update engine files

You may have to reboot (sometimes that helps for some reason).

Kaylene

Charles Lavin wrote:
:: Hi --
::
::
:: "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
:: news:%23aYN7EQaJHA.1352@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
::: One assumes you've tried the recommendations here:
::: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/833766
::
::
:: This PC has MSXML SP7 installed (and verified).
::
::
:::
[...]
::: What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is
::: your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other
::: than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a Norton
[...]
:: on this computer" error.
::
:: WTF ...?
::
:: I'm getting dizzy from all these circles I'm going in ...
::
:: ???
:: CL
::
::
::
::: When all else fails...
:::
::: Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
::: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
:::
::: For home users, no-charge support is available by calling
::: 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and in Canada or by contacting
::: your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support
::: calls that are associated with security updates.
:::
::: Support for Windows Update:
::: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
:::
::: For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
::: subsidiary for security update support issues, visit the
::: International Support Web site:
::: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
:::
::: For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
::: through your usual support contacts.
::: --
::: ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
::: MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
::: AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
:::
::: Charles Lavin wrote:
:::: I have a Windows XP Pro SP3 computer that cannot complete a trip to
:::: Windows
:::: Update.
::::
:::: I open Windows Update and click on the Custom button. WU stops
:::: abruptly at a
:::: page with the error "Files required to use Windows Update are no
:::: longer registered or installed on this computer."
::::
:::: If I select the default option of the two given ("Register or
:::: reinstall the
:::: files for me now") and click Continue, WU supposedly downloads and
:::: registers
:::: the missing DLLs (I get a "Registering:" with a percentage count
:::: that goes
:::: to 100%) and takes me back to the Welcome to Windows Update page.
::::
:::: When I click on the Custom button, I wind up back at the page with
:::: the "Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered
:::: or installed
:::: on this computer" error.
::::
[...]
:::: computer" page.
::::
:::: How do I fix this?
::::
:::: Thanks,
:::: CL

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Robert Aldwinckle

"Charles Lavin" <x@x.x> wrote in message news:uIbY$sSaJHA.4424@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi --

>> One assumes you've tried the recommendations here:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/833766

> This PC has MSXML SP7 installed (and verified).
>

>> Is this a sudden, new problem or an ongoing one?
>>

> I don't know exactly how sudden it is, since this PC has Automatic Updates
> enabled and is supposedly keeping up with them. I went to WU to check on a
> driver update, and to see what else there was to apply. AFAIK, this PC
> hasn't visited Windows Update in at least a month, if not longer.
>

>> Did you just reinstall WinXP and install SP3 manually?
>>

> An SFC fix and a reapplication of SP3 were performed on this PC several
> weeks ago to correct a problem of a user poking atround where he shouldn't
> have been ...
>

>> Is Automatic Updates enabled (cf. ttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525)?
>>

> Yes.

>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a Norton or McAfee
>> application ever been installed?

> Symantec Endpoint Protection v11 under control of the SBS server on this
> domain. Recently upgraded from Symantec AV Corp v10.
>

>> If you reboot into Safe Mode with Networking & then visit
>> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, does the behavior persist? [CAREFUL!!
>> Only remain in Safe Mode w/Networking long enough to check this behavior!]
>>
>> See this post by my colleague TaurArian from earlier this month:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ff177602a13fca
>>

> I followed every step listed there and in the several KB articles that
> thread referenced. I even reinstalled the Windows Update agent, which led to
> a surreal situation:
>
> 1) I installed the (supposedly latest) Windows Update Agent from the Windows
> Download site.
>
> 2) I rebooted the PC.
>
> 3) When I hit Windows Update, I was informed that the Windows Update
> software needed to be updated.
>
> 4) The PC downloaded and installed the newest WU code.
>
> 5) I wound up at the page with the "Files required to use Windows Update are
> no longer registered or installed
> on this computer" error.
>
> WTF ...?

I agree with TauArian's suggestion to clear the TIF.
However, that wouldn't change Cookies at all.
(FYI the Cookies you see in the TIF Viewer are only seen there
because the TIF Viewer combines the viewing of both the
files in the TIF and the files in the Cookies folder.)

Depending on your version of IE an adequate alternative
to that procedure might be to just press Ctrl-F5
while you are viewing what may be only a bogus message.
(FYI Ctrl-F5 originally issued requests for all components
of a page as if there was no previously cached file associated
with it. Lately, it seems it only does that partially at best.
Hence to see the effect of doing a refresh with all new files
unfortunately it may be necessary to clear the TIF completely.)

> I'm getting dizzy from all these circles I'm going in ...
>
> ???
> CL

Time for some diagnosis? <eg>

<title>How to read the Windowsupdate.log file</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Note that you could optionally invoke verbose logging
using the instructions given in that article and retry
to get even more clues. Even better IMO would be
to retry while running ProcMon and use it to supplement
whatever messages you do get from any other diagnostics.

Also, I suspect, there might be some additional clues
in the Event log which could either clarify or negate
the implications of the messages you are getting.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> [...]
>>> all.)
>>>
>>> The first link has instructions to reregister a mess of DLLs --
>>> MSXML3.DLL
>>> and the 7 WU DLLs. I reregister them all without a hitch.
>>>
>>> When I go back to Windows Update and click on Custom, I wind up back at
>>> that
>>> "Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or
>>> installed
>>> on this computer" error.
>>>
>>> The second link on the "Let me read more about ..." page details steps to
>>> ensure that the Windows Update registry entries have the proper
>>> permissions.
>>> I checked; the permissions are correct.
>>>
>>> But I can't run Windows Update. I repeatedly wind up at that "Files
>>> required
>>> to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on this

>>> CL