I posted a Q in W.update, but can't see it...or the answer

Paul

I posted a Q in W.update, but can't see it...or the answer
Hi, last night (26th Dec) I posted a question titled "Update failure, I
think I know why but not how to fix it" into Windows update.
I can't see this thread in the Discussion group, and the link (In my email)
telling me there is an answer does not work.
I'm assuming this post will not be visible to me, so if is at all possible
to answer me by Email?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: I posted a Q in W.update, but can't see it...or the answer

"Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91F7B090-D6C2-430D-B39A-106E4BCADEEC@microsoft.com...
> Hi, last night (26th Dec) I posted a question titled "Update failure, I
> think I know why but not how to fix it" into Windows update.
> I can't see this thread in the Discussion group, and the link (In my email)
> telling me there is an answer does not work.
> I'm assuming this post will not be visible to me, so if is at all possible
> to answer me by Email?

The MS Communities web interface to newsgroups has been FUBAR
since Dec 23. Apparently your posts actually got propagated to NNTP
since I saw them both on msnews.microsoft.com and Google Groups
has a full record of both.

FWIW here's a Google Groups Advanced search which shows you both
and will allow you to see whatever has been added to them.

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...=paul&safe=off

It's interesting that you are getting a notification for replies to your threads.
So, you could use the above search when you get one and then check it
out that way.

Unfortunately the E-mail address you have provided is fake so I have no way
of copying you with this reply.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Shenan Stanley

Paul wrote:
> Hi, last night (26th Dec) I posted a question titled "Update
> failure, I think I know why but not how to fix it" into Windows
> update.
> I can't see this thread in the Discussion group, and the link (In
> my email) telling me there is an answer does not work.
> I'm assuming this post will not be visible to me, so if is at all
> possible to answer me by Email?

You are attempting to utilize the horrid web front-end to the newsgroups, I
assume? If so - that is your issue for the most part.

First - your message found using "Google Groups"...
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...be46019bce93ba

Then - how to connect to these newsgroups with a newsreader...

Outlook Express (XP):

How to Configure Outlook Express for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171164

How to Subscribe to Newsgroups in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171190

A little more detail...
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Windows Mail (Vista):
http://www.web-articles.info/e/a/tit...-Windows-Mail/

Setting Up Windows Mail to Read Newsgroups

When you set up Windows Mail for e-mail, it automatically sets itself up
with a news account for the Microsoft Communities newsgroups. This account
gives you access to a wide range of Microsoft related newsgroups. For wider
reading, you'll probably want to set Windows Mail up to read newsgroups
provided by your ISP or another online service provider. To set up Windows
Mail to read newsgroups, take the following steps:

1. Open Windows Mail as usual for example, choose Start E-mail.
2. Choose Tools Accounts. Windows Mail displays the Internet Accounts dialog
box.
3.Click the Add button. Windows Mail displays the Select Account Type screen
..
4. Select the Newsgroup Account item, and then click the Next button.
Windows Mail displays the Your Name screen.
5. In the Display Name text box, type the name you want to use for your
posts. Depending on whether you'll be posting personally or professionally,
you may want to use a pseudonym or a variation of your name.
6. Click the Next button. Windows Mail displays the Internet News E-mail
Address screen.
7. In the E-mail Address text box, type the e-mail address that you want to
use for your posts. You may want to use a variation of your real e-mail
address to throw off spammers.
8. Click the Next button. The wizard displays the Internet News Server Name
screen.
9. Type the name of your news server in the News NNTP Server text box. If
you don't know the name, consult your ISP.
10. If you need to log on to the news server, select the My News Server
Requires Me to Log On check box. Many news servers don't require you to log
on.
11. Click the Next button. If you didn't select the check box in the
previous step, the wizard displays its Congratulations page. Go to step 13.
12. If you did select the My News Server Requires Me to Log On check box,
the wizard displays the Internet News Server Logon screen. Enter your
account name and password. Select the Remember Password check box if you
think the convenience of not having to enter the password outweighs the
marginal risk of storing it. Then click the Next button. The wizard displays
the Congratulations page.
13.Click the Finish button. The wizard closes, returning you to the Internet
Accounts dialog box.
14. Click the Close button. Windows Mail displays the Subscribe to
Newsgroups dialog box.
15. Click the appropriate button:

.. If you want to use Windows Mail's Communities features which include the
ability to see message ratings and rankings and download a list of
newsgroups, click the Show Available Newsgroups and Turn on Communities
button. At this writing, many newsgroups do not support Communities, and in
others, the Communities features appear not to be fully implemented - but
matters may have improved by the time you read this.

.. If you just want to download a list of newsgroups, click the Show
Available Newsgroups, but Don't Turn on Communities button.

.. If you don't want to download the list of newsgroups now, click the Don't
Download Newsgroups Now button. You'll need to download the list of
newsgroups at some point, but if you're currently using a dial-up
connection, you might prefer to leave the download until later.

16.If you chose to download the newsgroups, Windows Mail displays the
Downloading Newsgroups dialog box while it downloads them.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP