Error Code: 0x8007054F SP2 for XP

smdyfah

Error Code: 0x8007054F SP2 for XP
Each time I try to load the service pack, it says I have another program
running using FTP.exe. I don't, and even checked process's and there is not
FTP running.

Any way to get around this-- maybe try SP3 first?

Thanks in advance

Re: Error Code: 0x8007054F SP2 for XP
Are you currently running WinXP or WinXP SP1(a)?

Why wasn't SP2 installed 4+ years ago? Why have no critical security
updates been installed since October 2006?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

smdyfah wrote:
> Each time I try to load the service pack, it says I have another program
> running using FTP.exe. I don't, and even checked process's and there is
> not
> FTP running.
>
> Any way to get around this-- maybe try SP3 first?
>
> Thanks in advance

smdyfah

Re: Error Code: 0x8007054F SP2 for XP
Well I bought the desktop a couple of years ago-- and I guess the automatic
software update feature wasn't being used. I just applied 78 updates. None
of them SP2 or SP3 though... I also just downloaded SP3, and the same error
occured there when trying to install.

So-- I'm at a loss for what to do.

I'm trying to upgrade my SP level because I want to upgrade to IE7 but I
can't do that under SP1....

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you currently running WinXP or WinXP SP1(a)?
>
> Why wasn't SP2 installed 4+ years ago? Why have no critical security
> updates been installed since October 2006?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> smdyfah wrote:
> > Each time I try to load the service pack, it says I have another program
> > running using FTP.exe. I don't, and even checked process's and there is
> > not
> > FTP running.
> >
> > Any way to get around this-- maybe try SP3 first?
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Danny Sanders

Re: Error Code: 0x8007054F SP2 for XP
See if this helps:
http://winhlp.com/node/125#Cannot_in...Service_Pack_2

hth
DDS
"smdyfah" <smdyfah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well I bought the desktop a couple of years ago-- and I guess the
> automatic
> software update feature wasn't being used. I just applied 78 updates.
> None
> of them SP2 or SP3 though... I also just downloaded SP3, and the same
> error
> occured there when trying to install.
>
> So-- I'm at a loss for what to do.
>
> I'm trying to upgrade my SP level because I want to upgrade to IE7 but I
> can't do that under SP1....
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Are you currently running WinXP or WinXP SP1(a)?
>>
>> Why wasn't SP2 installed 4+ years ago? Why have no critical security
>> updates been installed since October 2006?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> smdyfah wrote:
>> > Each time I try to load the service pack, it says I have another
>> > program
>> > running using FTP.exe. I don't, and even checked process's and there
>> > is
>> > not
>> > FTP running.
>> >
>> > Any way to get around this-- maybe try SP3 first?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance

Re: Error Code: 0x8007054F SP2 for XP
Right-click on My Computer | select Properties: What WinXP version is
displayed on the resulting General tab (e.g., WinXP SP1)?

smdyfah wrote:
> Well I bought the desktop a couple of years ago-- and I guess the
> automatic
> software update feature wasn't being used. I just applied 78 updates.
> None
> of them SP2 or SP3 though... I also just downloaded SP3, and the same
> error
> occured there when trying to install.
>
> So-- I'm at a loss for what to do.
>
> I'm trying to upgrade my SP level because I want to upgrade to IE7 but I
> can't do that under SP1....
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Are you currently running WinXP or WinXP SP1(a)?
>>
>> Why wasn't SP2 installed 4+ years ago? Why have no critical security
>> updates been installed since October 2006?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> smdyfah wrote:
>>> Each time I try to load the service pack, it says I have another program
>>> running using FTP.exe. I don't, and even checked process's and there is
>>> not
>>> FTP running.
>>>
>>> Any way to get around this-- maybe try SP3 first?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance

smdyfah

Re: Error Code: 0x8007054F SP2 for XP
Yes-

WinXP
SP1
2002 version
Home Edition

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Right-click on My Computer | select Properties: What WinXP version is
> displayed on the resulting General tab (e.g., WinXP SP1)?
>
> smdyfah wrote:
> > Well I bought the desktop a couple of years ago-- and I guess the
> > automatic
> > software update feature wasn't being used. I just applied 78 updates.
> > None
> > of them SP2 or SP3 though... I also just downloaded SP3, and the same
> > error
> > occured there when trying to install.
> >
> > So-- I'm at a loss for what to do.
> >
> > I'm trying to upgrade my SP level because I want to upgrade to IE7 but I
> > can't do that under SP1....
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Are you currently running WinXP or WinXP SP1(a)?
> >>
> >> Why wasn't SP2 installed 4+ years ago? Why have no critical security
> >> updates been installed since October 2006?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Error Code: 0x8007054F SP2 for XP
NB: If the machine's compromised by a hijackware infection (which is quite
likely), the following probably will NOT work!
==================
HOW TO get WinXP SP1 fully patched:

1. Download & save the installer for WinXP SP3 to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1e1555d4f3d4

[Yes, you can skip WinXP SP2 altogether.]

2. Read & heed:

3. Logged in as Administrator, if necessary, double-click on the saved file
to install WinXP SP3. Follow all prompts; be patient, and reboot twice when
the install completes.

4. Do Resolution Method 2 here (trust me):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

5. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Install any required software
then click on CONTINUE | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any critical
security updates offered. Again, follow all prompts.

[I do NOT recommend installing IE7 via Windows Update.]

6. Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled; cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Additional References:

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx

Learn how to protect your PC by taking three simple steps
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-602954130D38
--
~PA Bear