network settings and WU ... ?

Dave Horne

network settings and WU ... ?
There was an update a few days ago that caused some of us to lose our
network connection. It might have just been a coincidence however.

A simple question - I remember under Windows 98 that there was a network
'file' taht contained the settings. This was a long time ago but I remember
if I had a problem I could reinstall that file. I'm using Vista Home
Premium and the only way around this problem (which happened again this
morning) was to roll back the registry to an earlier date.

Is there a 'network file' in Vista (other than the entire registry) ?

Re: network settings and WU ... ?

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB960714).

If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE (e.g.,
KB958215), call the above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer
IE queue" (which is 47830).

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Dave Horne wrote:
> There was an update a few days ago that caused some of us to lose our
> network connection. It might have just been a coincidence however.
>
> A simple question - I remember under Windows 98 that there was a network
> 'file' taht contained the settings. This was a long time ago but I
> remember
> if I had a problem I could reinstall that file. I'm using Vista Home
> Premium and the only way around this problem (which happened again this
> morning) was to roll back the registry to an earlier date.
>
> Is there a 'network file' in Vista (other than the entire registry) ?

Dave Horne

Re: network settings and WU ... ?
PA Bear, thanks for the reply. My initial problem - I lost internet access
after installing 13 or 16 updates. I rolled back the registry, installed
the updates in smaller and everything seemed fine. At this point, I have no
way of knowing what update, what specific update, caused the problem.

Is there any specific network settings file I can keep tabs on?

Since you know more about this issue than I, could you suggest a specific
update that probably caused my problem and I'll contact MS re that or those
update(s).

Thanks, DH

> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
> KB960714).
>
> If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE (e.g.,
> KB958215), call the above number and ask to be transferred to the
> "Consumer IE queue" (which is 47830).
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> through your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>
> Dave Horne wrote:
>> There was an update a few days ago that caused some of us to lose our
>> network connection. It might have just been a coincidence however.
>>
>> A simple question - I remember under Windows 98 that there was a network
>> 'file' taht contained the settings. This was a long time ago but I
>> remember
>> if I had a problem I could reinstall that file. I'm using Vista Home
>> Premium and the only way around this problem (which happened again this
>> morning) was to roll back the registry to an earlier date.
>>
>> Is there a 'network file' in Vista (other than the entire registry) ?

Re: network settings and WU ... ?
> Since you know more about this issue than I, could you suggest a specific
> update that probably caused my problem and I'll contact MS re that or
> those
> update(s).

Without knowing which updates you installed, I couldn't even begin to guess,
David.

I will tell you that I find it unusual that you had so many updates to
install. This suggests that Automatic Updates had been disabled for a while
(for whatever reason), or perhaps that the machine hadn't been connected to
the internet for a lengthy period (again, for whatever reason), or perhaps
that there was an ongoing problem (e.g., hijackware) that had disabled
Automatic Updates.
--
~PA Bear

Dave Horne wrote:
> PA Bear, thanks for the reply. My initial problem - I lost internet
> access
> after installing 13 or 16 updates. I rolled back the registry, installed
> the updates in smaller and everything seemed fine. At this point, I have
> no
> way of knowing what update, what specific update, caused the problem.
>
> Is there any specific network settings file I can keep tabs on?
>
> Since you know more about this issue than I, could you suggest a specific
> update that probably caused my problem and I'll contact MS re that or
> those
> update(s).
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527 For home users,
>> no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
>> in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
>> with
>> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
>> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
>> KB960714).
>>
>> If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE (e.g.,
>> KB958215), call the above number and ask to be transferred to the
>> "Consumer IE queue" (which is 47830).
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:
>>
>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
>> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
>> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>> through your usual support contacts.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>>
>> Dave Horne wrote:
>>> There was an update a few days ago that caused some of us to lose our
>>> network connection. It might have just been a coincidence however.
>>>
>>> A simple question - I remember under Windows 98 that there was a network
>>> 'file' taht contained the settings. This was a long time ago but I
>>> remember
>>> if I had a problem I could reinstall that file. I'm using Vista Home
>>> Premium and the only way around this problem (which happened again this
>>> morning) was to roll back the registry to an earlier date.
>>>
>>> Is there a 'network file' in Vista (other than the entire registry) ?

Dave Horne

Re: network settings and WU ... ?
PA Bear, you thought it strange that I had so many updates. On 10 Dec 08 I
installed the following ...

Update for Windows Vista KB957388, KB955839
Junk E-mail Filter (Dec 08) KB905866
Security Update for Vista KB956802, KB958623, KB958624, KB952069
Cumulative Security Update IE7 KB958215
Security Update Office 2007 KB958439
Security Office - Excel KB958437
Updates Office InfoPath KB957243
Security Update Office Word 2007 KB956358
Update Office - Outlook Junk Mail Filter KB958619
Security Update Office System 2007 KB956828
Updates Office 2007 Help for Common Features KB957244

Are any of the above suspect in any way? I check WU almost daily.

>> Since you know more about this issue than I, could you suggest a specific
>> update that probably caused my problem and I'll contact MS re that or
>> those
>> update(s).

> Without knowing which updates you installed, I couldn't even begin to
> guess, David.
>
> I will tell you that I find it unusual that you had so many updates to
> install. This suggests that Automatic Updates had been disabled for a
> while (for whatever reason), or perhaps that the machine hadn't been
> connected to the internet for a lengthy period (again, for whatever
> reason), or perhaps that there was an ongoing problem (e.g., hijackware)
> that had disabled Automatic Updates.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Dave Horne wrote:
>> PA Bear, thanks for the reply. My initial problem - I lost internet
>> access
>> after installing 13 or 16 updates. I rolled back the registry, installed
>> the updates in smaller and everything seemed fine. At this point, I have
>> no
>> way of knowing what update, what specific update, caused the problem.
>>
>> Is there any specific network settings file I can keep tabs on?
>>
>> Since you know more about this issue than I, could you suggest a specific
>> update that probably caused my problem and I'll contact MS re that or
>> those
>> update(s).
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527 For home
>>> users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
>>> in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
>>> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated
>>> with
>>> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
>>> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
>>> KB960714).
>>>
>>> If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE (e.g.,
>>> KB958215), call the above number and ask to be transferred to the
>>> "Consumer IE queue" (which is 47830).
>>>
>>> Support for Windows Update:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
>>>
>>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
>>> subsidiary
>>> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
>>> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>>
>>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>>> through your usual support contacts.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Re: network settings and WU ... ?
Ah, I can see that you've made Microsoft Update your default update source
("Get updates for more products") so you're also being offered updates for
MS Office (roughly half of the updates you installed on 10 Dec-08).

Of those updates, the most likely troublemaker was IE update KB958215. What
anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
What third-party firewall (if any)?

Some related, OT items...

QED: Has KB960714 been installed yet (on or after 17 Dec-08)?

If Outlook 2007 is your default Mail Client, there's really no need to
install the Junk E-mail Filter updates for Windows Mail (KB905866).
Conversely, if Windows Mail is your default Mail Client, there's no need to
have MS Outlook installed and/or install any Outlook updates (e.g.,
KB958619). You can configure Automatic Updates such that you must select &
approve which updates are to be downloaded & installed; cf. the third option
from the top in this illustration:
http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...u-settings.jpg.
--
~PA Bear

Dave Horne wrote:
> PA Bear, you thought it strange that I had so many updates. On 10 Dec 08
> installed the following ...
>
> Update for Windows Vista KB957388, KB955839
> Junk E-mail Filter (Dec 08) KB905866
> Security Update for Vista KB956802, KB958623, KB958624, KB952069
> Cumulative Security Update IE7 KB958215
> Security Update Office 2007 KB958439
> Security Office - Excel KB958437
> Updates Office InfoPath KB957243
> Security Update Office Word 2007 KB956358
> Update Office - Outlook Junk Mail Filter KB958619
> Security Update Office System 2007 KB956828
> Updates Office 2007 Help for Common Features KB957244
>
> Are any of the above suspect in any way? I check WU almost daily.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Since you know more about this issue than I, could you suggest a
>>> specific
>>> update that probably caused my problem and I'll contact MS re that or
>>> those update(s).

>> Without knowing which updates you installed, I couldn't even begin to
>> guess, David.
>>
>> I will tell you that I find it unusual that you had so many updates to
>> install. This suggests that Automatic Updates had been disabled for a
>> while (for whatever reason), or perhaps that the machine hadn't been
>> connected to the internet for a lengthy period (again, for whatever
>> reason), or perhaps that there was an ongoing problem (e.g., hijackware)
>> that had disabled Automatic Updates.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Dave Horne wrote:
>>> PA Bear, thanks for the reply. My initial problem - I lost internet
>>> access
>>> after installing 13 or 16 updates. I rolled back the registry,
>>> installed
>>> the updates in smaller and everything seemed fine. At this point, I
>>> have
>>> no
>>> way of knowing what update, what specific update, caused the problem.
>>>
>>> Is there any specific network settings file I can keep tabs on?
>>>
>>> Since you know more about this issue than I, could you suggest a
>>> specific
>>> update that probably caused my problem and I'll contact MS re that or
>>> those
>>> update(s).

Dave Horne

Re: network settings and WU ... ?
PA Bear, my anti viris program is McAfee Security Center 8 and is up to
date. That program also is my firewall. Additionally I have SUPER
AntiSpyware and Advanced SystemCare Pro - both programs also up to date.

KB960714 was installed on 17 Dec 08. At the moment I have no problems
accessing the internet on my home computer. Since there's no problem (at
the moment) I can only really just wait to see what happens.

Thanks ... Dave Horne

> Ah, I can see that you've made Microsoft Update your default update source
> ("Get updates for more products") so you're also being offered updates for
> MS Office (roughly half of the updates you installed on 10 Dec-08).
>
> Of those updates, the most likely troublemaker was IE update KB958215.
> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Some related, OT items...
>
> QED: Has KB960714 been installed yet (on or after 17 Dec-08)?
>
> If Outlook 2007 is your default Mail Client, there's really no need to
> install the Junk E-mail Filter updates for Windows Mail (KB905866).
> Conversely, if Windows Mail is your default Mail Client, there's no need
> to have MS Outlook installed and/or install any Outlook updates (e.g.,
> KB958619). You can configure Automatic Updates such that you must select
> & approve which updates are to be downloaded & installed; cf. the third
> option from the top in this illustration:
> http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...u-settings.jpg.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Dave Horne wrote:
>> PA Bear, you thought it strange that I had so many updates. On 10 Dec
>> 08 I
>> installed the following ...
>>
>> Update for Windows Vista KB957388, KB955839
>> Junk E-mail Filter (Dec 08) KB905866
>> Security Update for Vista KB956802, KB958623, KB958624, KB952069
>> Cumulative Security Update IE7 KB958215
>> Security Update Office 2007 KB958439
>> Security Office - Excel KB958437
>> Updates Office InfoPath KB957243
>> Security Update Office Word 2007 KB956358
>> Update Office - Outlook Junk Mail Filter KB958619
>> Security Update Office System 2007 KB956828
>> Updates Office 2007 Help for Common Features KB957244
>>
>> Are any of the above suspect in any way? I check WU almost daily.

>>> Without knowing which updates you installed, I couldn't even begin to
>>> guess, David.
>>>
>>> I will tell you that I find it unusual that you had so many updates to
>>> install. This suggests that Automatic Updates had been disabled for a
>>> while (for whatever reason), or perhaps that the machine hadn't been
>>> connected to the internet for a lengthy period (again, for whatever
>>> reason), or perhaps that there was an ongoing problem (e.g., hijackware)
>>> that had disabled Automatic Updates.
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Re: network settings and WU ... ?
Tip #1: If you've not *purchased* SAS and/or Advanced SystemCare Pro,
uninstall it/them & reboot.

Tip #2: If you leave SAS and/or Advanced SystemCare Pro installed, disable
the application(s) before installing any Windows Updates. Chances are the
"real-time protections" of one or both of these apps...and, possibly,
similar "protections" in the McAfee suite...mignt be interfering with (i.e.,
disallowing) the important changes being made by an update.

Tip #3: If another McAfee application had ever been installed prior to
installing McAfee Security Center:

(a) Disable SAS and/or Advanced SystemCare Pro (if installed) and leave
it/them disabled until Step (d) below;

(b) Do this three-step-fix:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...3&id=TS100507;

(c) Reinstall McAfee Security Center;

(d) Re-enable SAS and/or Advanced SystemCare Pro (if installed).
--
~PA Bear

Dave Horne wrote:
> PA Bear, my anti viris program is McAfee Security Center 8 and is up to
> date. That program also is my firewall. Additionally I have S*PER
> AntiSpyware and Advanced SystemCare Pro - both programs also up to date.
>
> KB960714 was installed on 17 Dec 08. At the moment I have no problems
> accessing the internet on my home computer. Since there's no problem (at
> the moment) I can only really just wait to see what happens.
>
> Thanks ... Dave Horne

>> Ah, I can see that you've made Microsoft Update your default update
>> source
>> ("Get updates for more products") so you're also being offered updates
>> for
>> MS Office (roughly half of the updates you installed on 10 Dec-08).
>>
>> Of those updates, the most likely troublemaker was IE update KB958215.
>>
>> Some related, OT items...
>>
>> QED: Has KB960714 been installed yet (on or after 17 Dec-08)?
>>
>> If Outlook 2007 is your default Mail Client, there's really no need to
>> install the Junk E-mail Filter updates for Windows Mail (KB905866).
>> Conversely, if Windows Mail is your default Mail Client, there's no need
>> to have MS Outlook installed and/or install any Outlook updates (e.g.,
>> KB958619). You can configure Automatic Updates such that you must select
>> & approve which updates are to be downloaded & installed; cf. the third
>> option from the top in this illustration:
>> http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...u-settings.jpg.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Dave Horne wrote:
>>> PA Bear, you thought it strange that I had so many updates. On 10 Dec
>>> 08 I
>>> installed the following ...
>>>
>>> Update for Windows Vista KB957388, KB955839
>>> Junk E-mail Filter (Dec 08) KB905866
>>> Security Update for Vista KB956802, KB958623, KB958624, KB952069
>>> Cumulative Security Update IE7 KB958215
>>> Security Update Office 2007 KB958439
>>> Security Office - Excel KB958437
>>> Updates Office InfoPath KB957243
>>> Security Update Office Word 2007 KB956358
>>> Update Office - Outlook Junk Mail Filter KB958619
>>> Security Update Office System 2007 KB956828
>>> Updates Office 2007 Help for Common Features KB957244
>>>
>>> Are any of the above suspect in any way? I check WU almost daily.

Dave Horne

Re: network settings and WU ... ?
PA Bear, thanks for the very detailed message. I became aware of
uninstalling McAfee (probably from here) with that massive SP1 update; that
was the only way I could install that update.

What I will do now is nothing unless the problem returns. I sincerely
appreciate your message and in the future will deactivate those programs
when selectively installing WU. Thanks, Dave Horne

> Tip #1: If you've not *purchased* SAS and/or Advanced SystemCare Pro,
> uninstall it/them & reboot.
>
> Tip #2: If you leave SAS and/or Advanced SystemCare Pro installed, disable
> the application(s) before installing any Windows Updates. Chances are the
> "real-time protections" of one or both of these apps...and, possibly,
> similar "protections" in the McAfee suite...mignt be interfering with
> (i.e., disallowing) the important changes being made by an update.
>
> Tip #3: If another McAfee application had ever been installed prior to
> installing McAfee Security Center:
>
> (a) Disable SAS and/or Advanced SystemCare Pro (if installed) and leave
> it/them disabled until Step (d) below;
>
> (b) Do this three-step-fix:
> http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...3&id=TS100507;
>
> (c) Reinstall McAfee Security Center;
>
> (d) Re-enable SAS and/or Advanced SystemCare Pro (if installed).
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Dave Horne wrote:
>> PA Bear, my anti viris program is McAfee Security Center 8 and is up to
>> date. That program also is my firewall. Additionally I have S*PER
>> AntiSpyware and Advanced SystemCare Pro - both programs also up to date.
>>
>> KB960714 was installed on 17 Dec 08. At the moment I have no problems
>> accessing the internet on my home computer. Since there's no problem (at
>> the moment) I can only really just wait to see what happens.
>>
>> Thanks ... Dave Horne

>>> Ah, I can see that you've made Microsoft Update your default update
>>> source
>>> ("Get updates for more products") so you're also being offered updates
>>> for
>>> MS Office (roughly half of the updates you installed on 10 Dec-08).
>>>
>>> Of those updates, the most likely troublemaker was IE update KB958215.
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>>
>>> Some related, OT items...
>>>
>>> QED: Has KB960714 been installed yet (on or after 17 Dec-08)?
>>>
>>> If Outlook 2007 is your default Mail Client, there's really no need to
>>> install the Junk E-mail Filter updates for Windows Mail (KB905866).
>>> Conversely, if Windows Mail is your default Mail Client, there's no need
>>> to have MS Outlook installed and/or install any Outlook updates (e.g.,
>>> KB958619). You can configure Automatic Updates such that you must
>>> select
>>> & approve which updates are to be downloaded & installed; cf. the third
>>> option from the top in this illustration:
>>> http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...u-settings.jpg.
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Re: network settings and WU ... ?
You're welcome (again) & thanks for your feedback (again).