Error with automatic update

wildchicken

Error with automatic update
Hello,

I had recently had some virus problems with my computer and had run some
different adware programs to try and get rid of it. I have Windows XP
Professional Version 2002 service pack 2. Now when I try and use automatic
update I get this message:

The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
not running:

Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more
quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.

When I go to start automatic update from services I then get this:

Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or
because it has no enable devices associated with it.

Re: Error with automatic update
> I had recently had some virus problems with my computer and had run some
> different adware programs to try and get rid of it.

You have much more work to do:

2. Then run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

3. Now run additional checks for hijackware, including posting your
hijackthis log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm