Computer is Very Slow -- win X64, two quad 1.86 processors 8GB ram

H. Singh

Computer is Very Slow -- win X64, two quad 1.86 processors 8GB ram
I have win x64 bit XP computer with 8GB ram two of quad 1.86 processor with 2
Nvidia cards . From last one year as I am continusly keeping windows updates
to the latest and all other upgrades on every program updated.
But now the computer is runnign very slow like a 286 for most applications
like Solidworks , Mastercam etc. SW and Mcam 's tech support thinks I need
to install clean windows first as with all these updates windows gets
slugish....... Is it true. Why if yes what is the best way to fix it without
buying another expensive program to clean windows. Why Microsoft do not have
some thing built in which cleans registry or clean some other unwnated
patches which are not required now.

--
H. Singh
Danny Sanders

Re: Computer is Very Slow -- win X64, two quad 1.86 processors 8GB ram
I would think the slowness is due to spyware rather than MS patches. How
often do you defrag the computer?

Get a program that detects and cleans spyware.

hth
DDS
"H. Singh" <HSingh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have win x64 bit XP computer with 8GB ram two of quad 1.86 processor with
>2
> Nvidia cards . From last one year as I am continusly keeping windows
> updates
> to the latest and all other upgrades on every program updated.
> But now the computer is runnign very slow like a 286 for most applications
> like Solidworks , Mastercam etc. SW and Mcam 's tech support thinks I
> need
> to install clean windows first as with all these updates windows gets
> slugish....... Is it true. Why if yes what is the best way to fix it
> without
> buying another expensive program to clean windows. Why Microsoft do not
> have
> some thing built in which cleans registry or clean some other unwnated
> patches which are not required now.
>

> --
> H. Singh

Shenan Stanley

H. Singh wrote:
> I have win x64 bit XP computer with 8GB ram two of quad 1.86
> processor with 2 Nvidia cards . From last one year as I am
> continusly keeping windows updates to the latest and all other
> upgrades on every program updated.
> But now the computer is runnign very slow like a 286 for most
> applications like Solidworks , Mastercam etc. SW and Mcam 's tech
> support thinks I need to install clean windows first as with all
> these updates windows gets slugish....... Is it true. Why if yes
> what is the best way to fix it without buying another expensive
> program to clean windows. Why Microsoft do not have some thing
> built in which cleans registry or clean some other unwnated patches
> which are not required now.

Sounds like an infested/infected system.

What sort of maintenance (with built-in and free tools) do you do now?

- Do you have the latest drivers for your hardware (from each manufacturer)?
- Do you use CHKDSK every so often?
- Do you keep your applications updated as well as your Microsoft OS?
- Do you defragment your hard disk drives?
- What AntiVirus application are you using?
- Are you utilizing some 'all-in-one' application for
firewall/antivirus/antispyware? (If so, which one?)
- (If not using an all-in-one) Are you using some third party firewall -
something other than Windows XP's built in one? (If so - which one?)
- Do you uninstall applications and resident applications you do not
utilize?
- How often do you run a check for spyware/adware/malware? (this is *not*
done with a product that claims to be an AntiVirus software even if they say
they also detect spyware/adware... And there is no one product out there
that handles everything.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

jss

Re: Computer is Very Slow -- win X64, two quad 1.86 processors 8GB ram
I've noticed the same effect on several computers. Is the MS Malware checker
any good at all? I run it with every update and it never ever reports
anything. I have a couple of others like Ad-aware, and the most they find
are tracking cookies.

Personally, I have never noted any improvement from defragging. Most of my
data files are rather small and I guess even with updates the applications
such as Excel don't get very fragmented.

Would any of this malware show up as processes with high CPU usage in Task
Manager. When I notice that it is usually a MS program but sometimes an anti
virus program. Bit Defender was especially bad about this.

Thanks,

John