KB 921896 SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2

Col

KB 921896 SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2
I've got a strange problem in that the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express
Edition Service Pack 2 (KB 921896) keeps wanting to re-install. Once it has
run the installer, the yellow shield re-appears to start the insatllation
again. Does anyone know how I can get this to install and not need
installing again. Many thanks.
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB 921896 SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2
Was the system restarted after KB921896 installed ? If yes ...

1) Check in the Services console [Start > Run > type in
services.msc > click OK ] and change the MSSQL$SBSMONITORING service
from Disabled to Manual
2) Run the Monitoring Configuration Wizard in Server
Management and see if that allows KB921896 to install properly with no
reoffering issue.

If no joy: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921896

> If you have a problem installing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2, you can try one of
> the following solutions:
>
> * To find more information about the error code, or to request support by e-mail, visit the
> following Microsoft Web site:
> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Col wrote:

> I've got a strange problem in that the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express
> Edition Service Pack 2 (KB 921896) keeps wanting to re-install. Once it has
> run the installer, the yellow shield re-appears to start the insatllation
> again. Does anyone know how I can get this to install and not need
> installing again. Many thanks.

Col

Re: KB 921896 SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2
Many thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it hasn't got me to the bottom of
my particular problem.

In the services console I cannot find a referernce to MSSQL$SBSMONITORING.
I don't seem to have the Monitoring Configuration Wizard in Server Managment?

I've looked in the support areas but it only seems to cover the cases where
error codes are produced, which I do not get. The install seems to go OK, it
just keeps being re-initiated. The reason for downloading the service pack
was to get over a problem I have with MS Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition,
which won't compile correctly and will not close when asked.

Thanks,

Col

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Was the system restarted after KB921896 installed ? If yes ...
>
> 1) Check in the Services console [Start > Run > type in
> services.msc > click OK ] and change the MSSQL$SBSMONITORING service
> from Disabled to Manual
> 2) Run the Monitoring Configuration Wizard in Server
> Management and see if that allows KB921896 to install properly with no
> reoffering issue.
>
> If no joy: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921896
>
> > If you have a problem installing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2, you can try one of
> > the following solutions:
> >
> > * To find more information about the error code, or to request support by e-mail, visit the
> > following Microsoft Web site:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Col wrote:
>
> > I've got a strange problem in that the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express
> > Edition Service Pack 2 (KB 921896) keeps wanting to re-install. Once it has
> > run the installer, the yellow shield re-appears to start the insatllation
> > again. Does anyone know how I can get this to install and not need
> > installing again. Many thanks.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB 921896 SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2
I have no idea where the installation log is for Service Pack 2.
But, you can contact MS from the link here and be patient as it's still
a holiday - http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=6527
Or, try this SQL newsgroup - SQL Server Setup
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten