Re: IE6 now hangs before complicating page load.

Re: IE6 now hangs before complicating page load.
[crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

> A couple of days ago I went to the Windows Update site and installed all
> of
> the critical updates, several windows update and several IE updates.

Is Automatic Updates enabled? Which updates were installed? How long had
it been since you checked for &installed updates?

What third-party toolbars are installed?

Try a Reset:
====================
Note: This step will help us clear cookies, restore the security level back
to the default settings, and disable third-party browser extensions. Before
trying the steps, we can export the cookies so they can be easily restored
later if you desire:

1. Press "Alt" from your keyboard, click "File", and click "Import and
Export".
2. Click "Next", select "Export Cookies", and click "Next".
3. The file is saved by default to your “Documents” folder, click "OK".

If you would like to import the cookies after resolving the issue, please
select “Import Cookies” in file menu to import the saved cookies file and
choose the “cookies” file from your “Documents” folder.

For Internet Explorer 6.0:
1. Click Start, Run, type: “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotation marks) and press
Enter.
2. Select the General tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window, click
"Delete Cookies", and click OK.
3. In the same tab click Delete Files, check the "Delete all offline
contents" box and click OK.
4. Click the Programs tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".
5. Click the Advanced tab, and click "Restore Defaults".
6. Under the Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions"
(requires restart).
7. Click OK.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Gary Wardell wrote:
> A couple of days ago I went to the Windows Update site and installed all
> of
> the critical updates, several windows update and several IE updates.
>
> After doing that IE6 started hanging on various sites, including
> Microsoft's
> site. It will hang while showing that it's downloading something in the
> status pane.
>
> Clicking the stop tool bar button has no effect. Trying to move or close
> the window has no effect.
>
> The task manager says Internet Explorer is not responding.
>
> The task manager will end the task, after putting up a dialog saying that
> it's not responding and asking if I want to terminate it now.
>
> I have tried reinstalling IE6 from a CD. No change. I have tried
> uninstalling the critical updates that I had installed. Not all of them
> are
> listed in the add/remove programs. The ones that were had no effect.
>
> I am thinking that the only option left is to fdisk and reinstall
> everything; which will be a long involved process and probably a total
> mess.
>
> Why can't IE be a separate program that can be uninstalled and
> reinstalled
> like other applications, like say MS Word.
>
> Anyone have any less traumatic ideas?
>
> My configuration:
> IE 6.0.2800.1106 SP 1
> Windows 2000; 5.00.2195; SP 4
> Did have all of the latest updates, see above.
>
> Gary

Re: IE6 now hangs before completing page load. - update
Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...?cad4ccaf97caa

Please do not edit the subject of your replies, Gary, and please continue
crossposting all replies to Windows Update newsgroup. Thanks.
--
~PA Bear